lamps mh and hps

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sn420, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hi, I am preparing for my first grow.

I will be ordering a grow tent (100x100x180).

I would like to have up to 10 to 15 plants .Would this be a good enough size?

My question is about lighting...

So, I know for vegetative stage I need mh bulbs. I have found lamp kit w ballast that outputs 600watts.

I'm confused about the tent. Do I do both vegetative stage and later flower in the same tent? If so, do I have to switch the bulb from mh to hps when i'm ready to flower?

Also, I can I use the hps kit for using mh bulb? Then later switch out the bulb back to hps.

If I do it like this,I can't keep a continue cycle of growing. Is that correct?or is there another way?

I'm a little confused about using tents bc of its limited space.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx.

Sn

2. Your going to have to use the same tent for both vegging and flowering unless you get another tent. If you buy a ballast that runs a MH bulb it will not run a regular HPS bulb, you can get a HPS conversion bulb that will work in your MH ballast. 10 - 15 plants seems like a lot of plants for such a small tent.

3. Thx for the help.

But, what I was saying is that i'm going to ordering a 600w HPS kit.

So will a MH bulb work with the 600w HPS kit?

What about creating shelves in the tent bottom for flowering and top for vegging.

But that would mean I would need to buy two fans and lights?

Btw 10-15 plants sounds like a lot for a tent, but I was planning on SOG.

Will that work for my size tent?

4. ^^^Pay attention to what this guy just told you about CONVERSION BULBS! They will allow you to run a HPS bulb in a MH ballast or vice-versa. You need to get the right type for your ballast! And they're expensive.

Also, when you use a conversion bulb, you'll lose some efficiency.

You can do your whole grow with either type of bulb. I've done mine before under HPS for the entire cycle, and they came out just fine.

5. I am no expert but I think if you get a 600w HPS kit it will only run a HPS bulb. You can get a MH conversion bulb that will work, or you can get a switchable ballast that will run either. But I am not positive about that. Go look at a hydro supply store online, and check out what they have to offer. If you put a shelf in your tent it will cut down on how tall your plants will be able to grow. I don't grow the SOG style so maybe someone else who does will chime in and help you out.

6. Green Gooma is right on, you can use either MH or HPS for the entire grow.

7. I might have to build a separate space for vegging.

What about t5 lamps for vegging? Which bulbs are the most effective for t5?

Thx for the help guys.