Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lamictal & MJ

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by soundsbangin, Nov 12, 2010.

1. So I was diagnosed with epilepsy today and tomorrow I start taking Lamictal. I have heard that people on this drug and also smoking mj have bad experiences. I was wondering if anyone has experienced/or knows anything about this, it has me worried.

P.S. Losing my license for 6 months is going to suck.

2. I am actually very curious about the same thing. I have been taking Lamictal for over a year now to treat my bipolar disorder. I also take Wellbutrin and Risperdol for social anxiety and generalized anxiety. A few months ago, a friend of mine suggested that maybe marijuana could help with my anxiety, so I tried it. I smoked a sativa, can't remember what the name was.

At first the only thing I noticed was light-headedness and that colors were more vivid. Then I took another toke and started feeling nauseous and wobbly. I puked my guts out and had to lie down. Then I was really tired and fell asleep for a little while. I never got giggly or paranoid, and did not hallucinate. I did have trouble speaking. My friend thinks I had too much and that's why I got sick. It seems that a reaction with the Lamictal would have done something in my brain rather than my bodily reaction.

After I woke up and felt better, I started to feel really happy and relaxed. Not giggly, just a happy glow. I was completely anxiety-free. The effect lasted about 4-5 hours.

I haven't been able to smoke again since that time. I'm willing to do it again and see if a smaller amount would reduce anxiety without making me sick. Unfortunately I have only a couple of people in my life who support the idea of me using MMJ for anxiety, so I can't do it very often.

Bottom line, the psychological effects were positive, so I don't think it reacted with the Lamictal. But I could be wrong.

3. that part in bold, usually means you should ABSOLUTELY ask a doctor if cannabis will conflic with it....

4. If you do a web search, you will find a wide variety of responses about Lamictal. People have reported anything from psychotic episodes to headaches to increased anxiety and paranoia to extreme drowsiness when combining the two drugs--and then some people report no difference at all. And there are all kinds of chicken-or-egg discussions about which drug causes what. Sounds like the reaction is different for everyone so there is really no way to predict what your experience might be.

5. I think it is ok with Lamictal, but rhgame, you should NEVER take it with any tricyclic antidepressant, and that includes Welbutrin!
    There is a study on it and There was a tread about it on here. Among other things, it can make your heart go unbelievably faast and need meds from the ER. It can be very dangerous.