Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lamictal and 420 - Do they mix?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Balto, Jan 3, 2014.

1. #1 Balto, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    There's probably already a topic on this but now since, at least in my state, we've won the war with 420 being legal, I need to know if I can actually do the stuff. A bit of a background:

I take Lamictal for tonic-clonic seizures, or in a nutshell epilepsy., 50mg twice a day. I've been told seizures are next to impossible when Lamictal is onboard, the chance being 1 in 500,000. My tonic-clonic seizures are lethal, often lasting up to a half hour but luckily I haven't had one circa November 2005.

I'm wondering if certain sativas (like Jack Herer or Strawberry Cough) which I'm really hoping to try are ok with the medication. I've searched all over the WWW for an answer and most of the answers have come back for people who take the medication for bipolar disorder. Are the effects of Lamictal and 420's interaction varied among people or are the effects the same for many?

Wholesome answers are much appreciated.

2. I take 400mgs of Lamictal. I have no problem and I smoke 4-6 times a day. Be in control of your high, don't let it control you.Im bi-polar and MMJ helps with my manic episodes, self harming ideas, and suicidal thoughts. MMJ makes me appreciate all the great things I have in life and my amazing family.

3. .CBDV Cannabinoid Represses Seizures, Claims a New Study: New research out of the United Kingdom, and published by the national Institute of health have discovered that the CBDv cannabinoid â€“ another non-psychoactive cannabinoid, which naturally occurs in the marijuana plant â€“ may potentially decrease the severity of seizures in both adults and children.

4. I'm wondering how credible really are these sources. Clicked on the links and no sources were given at the end of these articles. It will be really nice if what is said is indeed true. I haven't come this far in the fight for pot just to end up dying.

5. #5 Honokiol, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014

You should get grannies list. 
    Treatment of epilepsy is among the older uses among Europeans.  Doesn't make it right or wrong just old.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=%22Epilepsy%22+%22Indian%20Hemp%22

However there are lots of newer studies, here is one and a search:
    Activation of the Cannabinoid Type-1 Receptor Mediates the Anticonvulsant Properties of Cannabinoids in the Hippocampal Neuronal Culture Models of Acquired Epilepsy and Status Epilepticus
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2617751/?report=classic

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=%22Epilepsy%22+%22Cannabinoid%22

So it is unlikely to make your epilepsy worse if that was the question. 

There are a relatively few drugs that are well documented in their interactions with cannabis, but I've seen documentation on Acetaminophen aka Paracetamol, Caffeine,  and Opioids.  Acetaminophen looks like an uptake inhibitor, Caffeine reads like it up regulates production of CB-1 receptors in certain parts of the brain affecting short term memory, although the paper was a little over my head and and I was drinking Coffee when I was reading it. Cannabis also appears to play nicely with Opioids.  Safe use with Opioids appears to be the best studied of the three, probably because cannabis is coming into such common use as a pain killer.  Beyond that patient referral is all any of us have to go on.

If you are looking at cannabis as CAM or as something you wish to add to your treatment plan you should be talking to your Dr. at great length about it before you do it even if he or she does not approve you should make your case and make them state clearly why they disapprove so you can make an informed choice before you decide your medical future.

Remember no mater what it is your future and your right to decide it.

6. I take 150mg of lamictal. I use it for schizo effective disorder. And I've had no reactions at all with smoking.