Lame Duck and the Next Congress.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Deleted member 1153948, Nov 30, 2022.

1. There are a few legalization bills sitting in committees right now waiting to be voted on. What will happen to those bills if they are not voted on in the Lame Duck session of Congress? I know the M.O.R.E. Act is sitting in a committee right now in the Senate which is controlled by Republicans. So will the M.O.R.E. Act still be sitting there in the committee when the Democrats take control of the Senate next year? This is what happens when you don't finish high school. So stay in school kids.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Personally, I'd never support any legislation that promotes discrimination based on skin color.

The MORE Act uses the many states that have legalized cannabis over the past decade as a blueprint and would impose a popular tax on cannabis sales. Under the current version of the bill, the tax will start at 5% but increase to 8% over three years. The tax will be imposed on the retail sales of cannabis and proceeds from the tax will to go to a newly established Opportunity Trust Fund. This tax would be collected by the new governmental organization, the Cannabis Justice Office, which would be tasked with overseeing the social equity provisions of the MORE Act.

3. @Cactus Ed so basically, legalization simply means Taxes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I don't have a problem with paying taxes, what I have a problem is the part about the taxes going to the "Social Justice Office" for" social equity. I'm for equality under the law and any government program that considers skin color as a determinant is a racist program. Any time you hear a leftist promote "equity" you are hearing a racist and probably a hypocrite. Don't believe it? Look up the definition.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I just want to know what would happen to the bill at the first of the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Republicans have been sponsoring bills to legalize recreational use but they keep getting shot down in committee. I know Biden has said he would have to think long and hard about whether to sign a bill like that even though he said it was part of his election platform.

7. Yeah, I know. ALL politicians will say anything to get elected. All the parties do. They all need to sit down at a table and discuss it and they all need to share a bong. If they would just, "If you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" type of deal. Republicans do have good ideas as well as Democrats. Look how fast they passed the railroad act to keep the workers from going on strike. If they can come together to do that they can legalize cannabis if they want to. I just want to know what will happen to the bill after the new Senate takes over which the majority will be Democrats and likely to pass the M.O.R.E. Act. And it is sitting in the Committee on Finance and Senator Todd Young of Indiana is on that committee. He said that he wanted it to be legalized on a Federal level first. Here's his chance, he has the power to vote yea. But does he? I bet my bet my checking account that he doesn't. That's ok. I'll send my tax dollars to Illinois.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 Cactus Ed, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    This looks like what you're looking for. What happens to bills after Congress adjourns? (Updated) – POPVOX

It's my understanding that bills introduced in the previous 2 year session must be reintroduced, basically they start the process over but I'm not sure that applies to bills which have passed the Senate or House but not the other, didn't the same or similar MORE bill die last congress after passing the House in the lame duck session and had to be reintroduced again this congressional session?

I did finish high school but that was in 1967 and even if I knew the answer then, there have been plenty of changes, both to the details of making laws and my own opinions on the laws. Plus I can't remember much from that long ago.

9. I was suppose to take U.S. Government in my senior year of high school but I dropped out. I paid the price for goofing off in my freshman year. Fell so far behind I had 4.5 credits to my name in my junior year and I needed 18 to graduate. Reason why I was asking is that the MORE Act is sitting in the Senate committee on Finance. Democrats will take over the Senate in 2023. If the bill is still sitting there, I thought maybe the Dems will pass it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 robertfripp, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Democrats already control the Senate, and have for the last several years.
    It also takes 60 votes to pass the MORE ACT. Even if all the Ds vote for it, the bill will still need 10 reTHUGliKKKlans to vote for it, which, it seems there are not 10 reTHUGliKKKlans who will vote Yes for the bill. Biden has already said he will sign the bill if passed. And believe me, I want the bill passed. It will help me greatly. I have a Federal Marijuana Cultivation Conviction of which I pled Guilty to a 10-LIFE MANDATORY MINIMUM, a $5,000,000 fine, which was waived, and served 12 years with the Feds including Supervised release. I got charged with over 1000 clones. Partner got busted with 500 I gave him to put on his farm, and he ratted me out, and I then got charged for the manufacture of the 500 I gave him, and about 750 more they found at my place. He got off scott free. The MORE ACT will totally do away with my conviction. But the Rs wont let it pass, and is the reason Schumer hasnt brought it back up in the Senate. It passed the House in April 2022, with 204 reTHUGliKKKlans voting against it, and 220 Ds voting for it. 3 Rs voted YES to the MORE Act in the House, and 2 Ds voted against it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Hey Jimmi, maybe you should hope MORE doesn't pass, what excuse would you use to stay home while your wife works to support you? Or has she dumped your ass by now? I figured it would just be a matter of time until she did. You should be thanking your lucky stars you don't have to repay the taxpayers for the money you caused to be wasted by your dumb plan. Growing for personal or friends is one thing, a huge illegal operation like you had was fucking stupid. Consider the time you were locked up to be paying a tax on having a foolish plan and stop bitching about getting busted.

The MORE Act is racist at it's core and so are most Democrats yet you continue to point at the GOP and call them Klan as if you forgot it was the Democrats who founded the KKK. If not for the restorative social justice schemes based on skin color contained in the MORE Act it would have passed the first time around. It appears lots of Republicans don't like racism as much as Democrats seem to like it.

Welcome back, by the way.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Quit being an a**hole by name calling. More republicans have voted to legalize marijuana in the current congress than democrats. You're just being a troll now...The MORE act has way more in it than drug conviction amnesty, that's why the right has shot it down. Too much pork. The fact that you got busted on a federal charge is your problem not anyone elses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. All I can tell you is that 204 Rs voted against the MORE ACT in the HOUSE, in April 2022, and 220 Democrats voted for it. Which it took 218 to pass, and they dont have 10 Rs in the Senate to pass the bill, as it needs 60 votes.

14. #14 robertfripp, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Been married 20 years to beautiful Filipina woman. Im 16 years older than she is. Also I was the one that payed her way through college at first, and she did so well in college, and got so many scholarships she came out of college owing no money, Was the president of her sorority, and basically had a free ride all the way through college. Graduated with a 4.02 grade average. 1st in her class. Im a retired law clerk. Plus Im a certified personal trainer, and have all the clients I can handle. I was 1985 AAU 148lbs powerlifting champion in Kentucky, and have also run a 2 hours 38 minute marathon, and have run 7 50 mile ultramarathons under 7 hours. Wife also runs marathons, and ultras. We have a great marriage thank you. Live in a nice house by a nice park, in a house my great grandfather built in 1904. Rs and Ds flip places decades go dude. Why do you think blacks vote over 90% for Democrats?? I dont see the Ds entertaining NAZIs are their homes like tRump recently did. And I know not all Rs are racist, but a large vocal minority of their party is. Youre buzzin if you think the MORE act is racist. I guess you see racisim in everything. Rs are also the ones that try and make it almost impossible for blacks to vote. In Texas they closed down hundreds of voting sites and minorities are now in some cases forced to travel an hour to vote, and many if not mos of them dont have a vehicle.
    And Ilke I said, I dont see any D hanig out with white nationalist NAZIs, and having them in their homes for dinner. Also lets not forgett Orban, who is also a white nationalist, and was the key speaker at CPAC, ad is havig money that was supposed to go to his country by his fellow Europeans, until he changes his ways. Hes a big buddy of tRump. And let us not forget, that it was just reported tRump owed the North Koreans Money, and while in office made secret payments to them. Know wonder tRump said Kim was writing him love letters. And let us not forget the Rs that support Putin.. Tucker Carlsons show is the most popular in Russia. Why is is tRump is best friends with all the dictators. And he calls them Good Friends. LMFAO ROFL.
    And not to mention tRump now wants to suspend the Constitution, and rinstall himself back in as president. Prime example of being a dictator. Just suspend the Constitution, and all kinds of Rs still support him, knowing hes a wannabe dictator.

Donald Trump failed to disclose a $19.8 million loan from a company with ties to North Korea while he was president, Forbes reported Sunday, citing documents uncovered by the New York attorney general’s office.

Trump owed the money to L/P Daewoo while he was campaigning in 2016 and into his presidency, according to records. He didn’t list the debt in financial disclosure filings, as candidates and presidents are expected to do, Forbes reported.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Dems and MORE is totally racist

16. Says you?? Just because you say it, doesnt make it so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oh good point.

Just ignore him, everyone.

18. You would have a point if we were talking Dems from decades ago but this is the modern day GOP who is dining with Forentes, telling the Proud Boys to stand by, and I’m betting the kkk sure as hell don’t support the party that gave them Obama. All the Rs could do was lie about his birth for years with no proof.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. I'm sorry I upset everyone. I was just curious about how the Lame Duck session worked and I am desperate for cannabis to be legal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. The Dems today are no better than the ones decades ago and the ones decades ago were no better than the ones a couple of hundred years ago when the same people owned slaves. Democrats just love to discriminate.

• Like Like x 1