ladybugs killing spidermites what do you think?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bcherbs, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Damn, thats cheaper than most sprays! 15 bucks for your pest control, not too bad. Eager to see how it works out!

2. yeah they should be here tomorrow i will spray them with soapy water first and then the next day cut them loose see how that works

3. You gotta post some pics with little red dots all over your plants...

4. yes i will as soon as they are in there i will post some pics i hope this works lol worth a try i know it will work i am just wondering how long it will take to eat them all i only have a month to a month and a half left of flowering

5. #25 Leapfrog, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
    They will eat as long as there are any left to eat and then starve... :yummy:

6. Bc, did your ladybugs arrive, if so, have you let them loose in your growroom.
    Any pics?

7. Bringing an old thread out of retirement to check how anyone did with using ladybugs for mite control. Did it work really well, or just so-so?

I'm asking because I'm around week 5 in nug phase and have some persistent mites. Too late to apply more Azamax.

8. this does work on spider mites,Ive used this method before with great success,they also work on thrips.

9. Thanks!

I seeded the garden with another batch of lady bugs and keeping my fingers crossed. Tonight they are still there doing their jobs. Just keep picking them up off the floor and putting the critters back on the indoor tomato plants.

Tomatoes are looking great! I'll update later on how the ladies work out.

10. yea make sure the lady bugs stay in were the grow room is if inside because they bite and its just quite anoying i would think lol.

11. hey any lady bug results?

i just bought some and threw them on my plants for preliminary measures

12. Ladybugs are great! When we first started growing we dumped 500 lady bugs (only $3.50) in our room and haven't seen a single mite, or any small pest for that matter the whole grow! Fantastic little guys. we use them all the time now, they come in a great mesh bag so we just make up some soapy water swish the bag in it rinse and the next day let them loss. We found its best to let them go in the morning before any lights turn on they are easier to keep in the room; otherwise you get crazy escapees and hitch hikers. And you will find them in your hair in your bathroom everywhere for weeks.

13. fuck yeah man that answer is great, they are on my plants now and so far they seem to want to stay on the plants.. for the most part

14. thanks for all your help!

Attached Files:

15. Spider mites are not lady bugs preferred food. They will eat them, but only if they are starving. Just FYI. Aphids are their preference.

16. I'm winding down an epic battle against spider mites and it is a huge struggle. I have a 4x4x7 box w/600watt light and saw a few fine webs on some tips. I knew they were mites and within 2-3 days they will totally ruin everything. I bought and released 1500 ladybugs and they were a big help, but did not totally get rid of the mites. Adult ladybugs spend 1/2 their time eating and the other half breeding. If they lay eggs that hatch, tha larvae are supposed to be voracious eaters, being too young to reproduce. All they want to do is eat. I haven't seen any larvae and most of the adults died off in about a month. I have been using azamax(?) but found it is better to use early as a deterant rather than a quick kill spray. You need to use it early and WATER the plants with it. It works best from within the plant and lmesses with any bugs that eat the plant leaves. I have also been using a spray nozzle with azamax and totally washing each plant once a week. You need to do this four weeks in a row to break the mite breeding cycle. So, I threw in another batch of 1500 a couple days ago and the combined effort is starting to really hurt the mites, almost gone now. The most immediate effective remedy I've used is a vacume cleaner. Cup the plant top in your hand and create some suction around the top and the webs and mites will come off pretty easy. Just the adults though, not the eggs.
    So, the combo approach of Azamax, ladybugs and vacume cleaner is slowly winning the war. Goodluck to anyone fighting this!

17. Ladybugs are great for spider mite infestations! At least in my experience... AFter a horrible infestation, I completely enclosed my grow room with fir resistant dry walling and calked the corners and all gaps that could let spider mites in. I then went on a hike recently to a nearby lake that is said to have ladybugs by the millions... It did! WE simply flipped over a log and filled a mason far with them cuties. I have had them in my 23' x 12 x 7' completely enclosed room(s) for about a month now and they are doing great! They relax on the fan leafs like big bad guard dogs, I have not seen a spider mite since. Whether it be from the complete enclosure (minus passive intake and 6" exhaust fan going outdoors) or from moving in the ladybugs, or a mixture of the two I'm not sure. I DO recommend them to anyone having spider mite issues and can control their travel.

Attached Files:

18. http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/798472-how-remove-spider-mites.html
    I list some good products in here. The obvious like neem and what not. The Plant Protector is the main one for aphids/spider mites/flies. Its a plant friendly enzyme that doesn't require a wash off with water after the spray. It will demolish all of your mite problems, and is only $13 a bottle. PLANT PROTECTOR = No mite problems. I use it at 3x strength and it works perfect.

19. I am also trying ladybugs to get rid of the spider mites. I let them go about 2 days ago, I have seen some eating but most seem to pile up in the corners of the room. I'm waiting for two praying mantis cocoons to hatch, then I will release them two. The problem I am having with the ladybugs is that they fly into the lights and die. It does look awesome with ladybugs sitting all over the plants tho. I will post some pics soon.