Lady bugs vs Spider mites

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Stilltruckin12, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hi all, this is my first post. I'm usually just on here to read and learn from others. However, I've been having a battle with spider mites, specifically red spider mites. They are visible on the leaves and done much damage. I tried to combat them with a pesticide spray from wal mart but haven't had any luck. Finally on cyber Monday, I ordered ladybugs bc of free shipping to organically remove the mites. Since I'm growing in my closet, I attempted to dyi screen cage so the ladybugs couldn't escape the plants. However the ladybugs found every hole to escape my screen cage. Ladybugs were scattered all around my closet and some made it out my closet. I released them at the beginning of my lights off cycle. Then the next morning, about 95% of the ladybugs were upside down on the floor, appearing to be dead. No ladybugs on the plants at all. I threw some of the lively ladybugs on the plants. As of now, only a handful of ladybugs remain on the plants. The plants' health are increasing somewhat. Any suggestions on what I should do next? Thank you and ill post pics later.

2. Lol yes please pose pics of lady bug carnage. Lady bugs are always a disaster and I get a good laugh when someone makes the same mistake I did. My recommendation for killing mites is spinosad and a wetting agent like wet Betty. Spinosad is a bacteria that breaks down in a few days so its an organic method of killing them and you can use it up to late stages if harvest. After you kill them use neem on a weekly basis to keep them away.

3. Neem Oil is the way to go, lady bugs are a good preventive defense as is Neem, but find the source of your problem

"V"