Lacto-Serum On The Cheap

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by trikfinite, May 31, 2014.

1. Hey yall,

I was wondering if any of u guys have tried making your own bokashi/em1 using powdered milk as the milk component. I'm actually mixing this up for my rabbit pens so I'm not worried about being too much a purist. Thank u

2. #2 trikfinite, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
    Hmm. Do I have to do a side by side for GC? Photo time

3. #3 trikfinite, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Okay so... as the pictures show...

We have organic milk and normal grade non-fat powdered milk. Gonna compare how the two may differ in this very rudimentary experiment. Added 100-110ml of 4 or 5 day old rice wash to both then filled up to about 80% with the milk element. The pic with the lids slightly open is about the same aperture I left during the rice wash stage.

Also, thought I would try a 2:3 ratio with 2 parts leftover milk, and the rest of the rice wash which made up 3 parts. Waste not want not.

Btw, tried the powdered milk, could've been worse. Also, it is not as economical as I thought. That baggy of dry milk cost $5 the real stuff was $6, and the baggy doesnt make all that much, only 3 quarts so it was about as pricey as the fancy stuff. I suppose if it works just as well, I can try to find the powder at costco for it to be cost effective. Because the concenienve of it is nice, too.

Attached Files:

4. Very cool! I'm still on the last bit of my bottle of EM1 that I bought, I'll be making my own Lacto here pretty soon :bongin:

5. #5 trikfinite, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    4 glorious days later...

The results are near identical. Both have the signature tangy lacto smell. The organic does smell a bit richer, aka riper. The powder based serum smells as it should, just lighter than the organic. The cheese pucks that formed at the top of the jars were both eaten with equal enthusiasm by the chickens and the hound. The powered milk cheese puck had a gritty yet mushy plastic-like consistency, the organic was much more creamy, with no grittiness or tough little chunks. That is about the sum of the difference I can discern with my good ole 5 senses. The experiment jar smelled like the back molar of a raw meat eating crackhead so it went bye-bye. Fun times tho super easy to do and I'm most assuredly gonna put this to use around the house

Attached Files:

6. Added two spoons of sugar to each and filled with pure water until I can properly dilute it into 1 gallon jugs
    Yummm...

Attached Files: