L.E.D. Bulbs @ Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by HydroEngineer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. A few days ago I wrote about these new bulbs I recently found in a post titled " Solution Found" high temps in grow cabinet. Beginning flowering soon, I bought a few of the LED 60w replacement to 9w 2700k 800 lumen bulbs @ $13.00 each not a bad deal especially when dealing with high temps.

My question is about the light penetrations difference between cfl's and LED. I have read that cfl's penetrate about 2-3 foot below canopy. What is the rule of thumb for LED lighting and how does that stand up to HID's and HPS's.

2. I think those led has wrong spectrum

3. As far as I know 7800k or closest to it (i.e. 5000k etc) is best for vegetative and 2700k for flowering. Not sure if that is only for CFL and fluorescents but my last project did very well with total 10000 lumens of 2700k CFL for flowering.

4. with leds its more color based because they dont give off the right spectrum if their white...don't quote me on this but if i remember correctly thats how leds work.

5. I have this problem too, led lumens are just small, there's just got to be a better way of understanding this lux thing with LED's, the average 23w domestic CFL emits 1200-1500 lumen, where as the average LED can be anything, the infamous 600w HPS is kicking out 98000 lumen, so as a grower you fit in between 1200-98000 lumen, thats one hell of a range..?

Keep the LED's as close to the top 4 - 6 buds as you dare, you have fimmed?? remove all lower growth, not in the led range

"V"
    ps whats your driver....?

6. Pics of the bulb, it's rating etc. as well as shots with a color comparison. I'm growing sour diesel, My first and most recent attempt did well with those spectrum's. A few photos of the current project

I know they are a bit too close but they are playing together nicely with a little LST...so far

Attached Files:

7. Let us know how it goes

8. Sorry Buddy.. but these lights suck....Big Time!
    see the 800 lumens, you will needs 122 of these bulbs to compete with the ideal 600w HPS, although not many growers are using 122 bubs, you wanna get as many lumens as you possibly can for the or wattage used. see lumen to watt ratio..then yield to watt ratio, then yield to lumen ratio...!

Read up about kelvin, is very mis underrated, these bulbs are the wrong color for veg, and way to weak for bud, try to have daylight color about the 5000k mark, or have a good 50/50 mix of 2700k(red) and 6500k(blue) to prevent short squat plants, blue light or tall spindly plant, red light...
    Sorry to be dogmatic, but I assumed you were discussing led's

peace
    "V"

Attached Files:

9. This is my first garden i have grown in my life, i have made an insulated tent with an exposed dirt floor, my area is 6' x 8' x 6'5" tall same height as myself the upper 4 foot of the tent is lined with emergency camping blankets 6'x5' piece of reflecting Mylar $2.00 a piece x 3, my ceiling is lined with insulated Mylar medical bags that were delivered with my medical infusion suplys due to my necrotising pancreatitis and not being able to tolerate eating on a regular basis...
    My current set up utilizes 8 growing lights bought from home depot clipped to the exposed metel wing's of the base 4 foot florescent fixture, nearly 2 months from seed my girls are 20" in height and other than my learning curve with watering are vibrant and filling out nicely.
    I have chosen to utilize felt based pots for better root ventilation.
    As far as what is going on light wise the bulbs are around 12 " above the plant top and my room tends to stay around 50 to 60 percent humidity @ 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
    My current set up utilizes not quite a 1 KWH per day.
    I have been told that my set up wont work but i am a man that must go through the motions my assumption is that although i am not forcing my plants to grow with expensive hot fickle lights at a minimal overall cost to benefit ratio.
    Take care guy's and gals I'll keep this thread updated as it unfolds...

P.S. I buy 2 bulbs and 2 work clamp lights at a time so my overall cost for expansion in multiples of 2 is $47.00 or so...

10. HydroEngineer, Apr 9, 2013 Dated ..?

make your own thread

good luck

11. Light is light. Has to do with the optic of the light source.