Kofi's No Till Scrog Experiment - GG Allin!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kofidog, Aug 9, 2017.

1. My plants are now starting their 5th week of veg - I'm thinking to switch them into flower soon - keeping my fingers crossed that I've got at least one female plant in there!
    20170918_232916.jpg 20170918_232931.jpg 20170918_233038.jpg

2. Looking pretty good. A few thoughts...

1. Fungus gnats arent a big deal but can be pretty easily controlled. Yellow stickies, a fan blowing under the canopy and thicker mulch will help.

2. Which brings me to thicker mulch. I think I can see soil. Go for at least 2-3 inches. Better water retention, a healthier home for worms/microbes and gnat resistance.

3. I wouldnt flower more than one plant in a ten g pot. On the other hand it looks like you have lots of wasted floor space in there and could fit way more soil. Id find the biggest pot you can fit that still allows you work space access. Maybe even a square bed to fill in those corners. How big is that tent? Did you really mean cm?

4. I havent done much work with seeds but why not start them in smaller containers until you can sex them and then transplant into the bigger pot? Ive heard that feminized genetics are more likely to have hermaphrodite tendencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. And also, you may already be able to tell sex by the preflowers. If not take some cuts now and sex them. I think you need more veg time anyways, especially if you cull one. The sooner you do it the better so that you can allow the hopeful female survivor to spread out.

4. #44 kofidog, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Good idea. I could lower the fan easily enough so it blows under the canopy. In terms of IPM, what's your experience of neem vs. BT (bacillus thuringiensis) with fungus gnats?

What type of mulch do you prefer?

Yeah, I could probably squeeze a slightly larger pot in my tent, but it would be a bitch to move if I needed to later. Easier to just stick to one plant. My tent is 70 x 70 x 160 cms. (27" x 27" x 63"). Small, but I can't currently accomodate anything larger.

So you're saying I could plant the seeds in smaller containers, flip the light schedule to 12/12, and transplant any female into the larger final pot? Wouldn't I limit my yield if I started flowering after 2 or 3 weeks of growth?

I could actually switch into flower now - they are in their 5th week of veg. But I agree with you longer veg time would be better for yields. I'll have to see if I can identify any pre-flowers.

5. Maybe you could find a mini fan for that. You want your main fan blowing over the top still. And I dont use anything specific for fungus gnats. They can be annoying but theyre basically a non issue. The steps I listed plus the regular ipm detailed in the no till 2 thread seem to be enough to keep them in control. Thrips are the only reason I ever use bt.

You could fit at least a 30g in there and theyre not that hard to move unless theyre very wet. The more soil the better in no till. Bigger roots, healthier plants, and its easier to maintain an ecosystem in larger volume. FYI my sativas get about 70g of soil each indoors.

And once again. Im no seed expert so Id ask around. Personally id just start from a clone the first round to save time. While thats running youd have time to get seeds up. Id plant each seed in a separate small container (1-2g maybe) and grow until preflowers start up. If you cant tell sex from the preflowers i would then take a couple cuts from each plant and label them. You can then flip the light cycle on the cuts (not the plants) in a separate space to see whats what. As soon as youre sure you plant your best female into your bigger pot for extra veg time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. the best way to go about it is to start your seeds in smaller containers and take a cutting when they are sexually mature (alternating nodes).
    put the clones under 12/12 to discover the females then you can flower the female "mothers", or take another set of clones to flower and keep the mothers (or flower the mother and keep the clone, either way).
    this way you dont waste time and space flowering males.
    of course this would require a second area to keep moms/clones in. but that area can be very small, just enough to keep the moms alive. u dont even need a lot of light for this.
    if you cant do this i think it would be a lot easier to just go with fem seeds.

• Like Like x 2
  7. A strain called GG Allin, now I've heard it all. I hope it doesn't shit on you lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for that advice Moonnuggs, very helpful. I'm following MOFO's watering schedule as given in the No Till Revisted thread. Plus I've got diatomaceous earth that I can use. That seems to work well short term. I'll get a thicker mulch bed going as well to help discourage the little buggers. I suppose the watering schedule will gradually bring them under control. Your suggestion to take cuttings and label them sounds good, but I've gotta figure out a space for the cuttings.

Hey thanks Scoob. I would say my plants are sexually mature now. They are doing the alternating node thing. I've never done clones before, but perhaps this is the time to have a go. I just need to figure out a setup for the clones. I don't know what I was thinking planting regular seeds when I have no experience or facility for cloning and sexing the plants. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hahaha :p well, I don't really care about the name given to the strain so much as the effect. The description of the effects was to my liking as I was looking for something with a strong narcotic, couch-lock effect to use for making RSO (cannabis oil). This sounds like it could be what I was looking for. Let's see...

10. Yeah I'm just razzing ya, it sounds tasty! Subbed up to see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Scoobie, I think you helped explain the clone sexing process a little better. One question for you: I've heard that you may even be able to sex cutting like this before they even root. Is it possible to just throw a couple cuts in a cup and put em under 12/12 to check sex?

Kofi, as he said it doesnt take much space or equipment to do. All you really need is a small lightproof space, a timer, a small light (even a little flourescent shop light or cfl bulb) and probably a dome/rooting plugs (or even just cups with soil). I also use a heat mat.

And heres an excellent cloning tutorial with pics: How To Clone Organically: Ditch The Rooting Hormone Products

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey Moonnugs, thanks for that imput and the link - I'll definitely check it out.

13. i heard the same but i never tried it myself. i think you just treat it like a normal clone only put the lights on 12./12

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ok, so I tried taking clones of the plants in order to sex them. I took clones twice, both times they died. I have a bit of a learning curve on this one, since I'd never done clones before. In any case, I've gone ahead and switched my light to schedule to 12/12 so that the plants show their sex. They've been in veg now for 6 weeks. They still aren't very big, but I really don't want to wait any longer without knowing their sex. If they both turn out to be males, I've already lost a lot of time. If that be the case, I'll pop some fem seeds and move on.

15. Kofi, dont give up on reg seeds. It's how us old guys did it in the past. Pop them - keep them in solo cups until you need to water them daily - move to a slightly bigger pot (1/2 gallon works for me). Usually by week 8 (if the plant is unmolested) it should be alternating nodes and putting out preflower.

The are some new avenues becoming available to us, mainly genetic test kits. I just did one of these and I couldn't be happier. You send in a sample to the lab and they'll tell you if it's male or not. You just need the second set of leaf material. You get your results online. It takes 14 days but the labs shaved off a month of waiting. I popped those fems into their forever homes and sure as shit they preflowered female. They'll be going into flower this weekend. Steep Hill Labs | Global Leader in Cannabis Testing and Analytics

Inside the kit was this little tidbit: "Use high levels of nitrogen and low levels of potassium in combination with blue-spectrum light and lower temperatures for the first two weeks of vegetation to increase the likelihood of female plants."

I think I still have some GG's and Southern Star gear rattling around in the bean bag.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Hey @FickySiskers, thanks for chiming in with that, man, I really appreciate it. Still got heaps to learn but I'm keen. May all you wonderful people that so freely share on this forum be blessed!

17. Yeah, I got a fair few reg seeds that I paid good money for and are also supposed to be good genetics, so I guess I just need to learn how to clone. The Steep Hill service sounds great, but I'm in Australia so I don't think its practical for me.
    Wow, cool man, did you ever grow that GG Allin out?

18. If you got postal service, its pretty practical. Its just small partial leaf samples your sending. Otherwise, it's just an envelop like a big birthday card. I was just stoked to have a 4 node plant from reg seed went right into their final pot. It shaved 4 weeks off my process. Cloning works, but I'm an idiot and have a hard time culling females. I'll transplant and move them along until I'm outta room.

I grew out 5 of the GGA. This was a bit ago. I still have about 5 left as well as an unopened pack of all stars. It was decent but just got overshawdowed by other stuff I had going at the time. Ive been meaning to go back looking for a KO indica, but so much weed so little time...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thanks again, @FickySiskers, I'm looking in to this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Well, the thing I was so apprehensive about has happened. Both of my GG Allins turned out to be males! I've just wasted so much time, money and amendments - damn! Today I planted 2 feminised Eagle Bill beans (Sensi Seeds) and another 2 regular GG Allin in Dixie cups. I think I'll follow @FickySiskers advice and take advantage of Steep Hill's sexing service for those GG Allins.