Knucklemonkey's Infinite Multi-Strain Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by knucklemonkey, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I have white flies. I'm not sure if the ladybugs will eat up the whiteflies or not but the ladybugs aaren't here yet anyway so I need to research a whitefly solution.

The 6 clones never showed roots in the water and I think I saw some underwater mold starting so I put them in soil. They don't look so good, which sucks because I have to make sure the clones are going to make it before I flower.

Not a great day for knucklemonkey here...

[note: 1st pic is of the 6 ladies, now with white flies all over the place, 2nd pic is of the attempted cloning of the 6 of them before flowering but it isn't looking too good.]

Attached Files:

2. That is the best thing Ive heard all week in the city! THank yourself:hello:

3. what was your technique for cutting and planting the clones...lets hear it all the products used and all the procedures

4. Hey man, bummer about the clones. Did you use any h2o2 in your clone water? I had a mishap with mine too, the other day, but no mold after 2 weeks.

Maybe if you took it easy with the Disney names, your clones would be tougher :p

Lol, if it comes to it you can always take more, so don't worry!

5. If you are ready to flower, I suggest you build an ez-cloner (search the forums), take 6-12 new cuttings, and go into flower. No need to wait.

6. #66 knucklemonkey, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009

Whatcha mean, man? I do dig the natural stuff though. I read something about using willow trees to make cloning gel or something...I might have to plant some willow trees!

THIS time I wasn't prepared like I like to be. All I did was snip the cuttings at an angle. Put some water in the little coffee cups with a drop of superthrive and placed the cutting in the water for a few days, then moved them into cups with soil and carefully planted them. I figured they were going to die but this morning they look rather good and rigid. I think they will live after all.

Now I just got some cloning gel and some small rockwool cubes so my next venture should be better. I have 12 more plants to clone before I flower them.

Straight up tapwater is all I used with a drop of superthrive.

Hey man those are STAGE names! The ladies are being incognito. I mean, my pimpin' name is knucklemonkey for cryin' out loud! Wait until I start the White Widow seeds and have to name them all with "W".

I plan to start flowering tomorrow. I would like to do an ez-cloner type of thing but all I have seen thus far are hydro cloners and nothing for soil. I need to research that but I have so little time. I WILL get to it soon, though.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions etc. guys. And thanks for checking in!

7. look at my cloner for organic cloning.

I use a liquid solution but it is 100% organic.

a try within a tray with a humidity dome ontop...
    rock wool or rapid rooter plugs ph balanced in the top tray
    the bottom tray holds a solution of 1 gallon of distilled water, 1 drop of super thrive, one teaspoon of sea weed extract.

use fish pump to keep oxygen in the water and a heating mat to keep the roots at 80 degrees F
    also without misting you should be able to keep them at 70-80% humidity
    with misting once a day 100% humidity.
    make sure to fan them and get them fresh air at least once a day

make sure your clipping all the leaves off exept for the top set...cut the top set in half.
    More leaf matter means more photosynthisis to maintain....we dont want to photosynthisize we want root development.
    :wave:good luck
    Low light...high temps and high humidity are key

8. The clones looked much better today so I followed some advice and trimmed off the lower branches. Then I put little sandwich bags over each cup nd then used a rubberband to keep the sandwich bag on it. Popped a pinhole in each one for a little air and then placed them each on a board, which was on a heating pad. Viola! They're standing up strong and proud within a couple of hours. And the bags are fogged up so clearly the humidity is what they craved. I guess I have my own little McGuyver cloner setup now.

Tomorrow the first 6 will be on a 12/12 cycle. Today was the end of 18/6 for them. Now the journal can start getting more visually stimulating with a little bud action on the way :D.

Attached Files:

9. get er done...however you have to man...good job.

the important thing here is to take all this advice people give you and try to make some sense out of it....try to learn why you need to do things...that way you can be more versitle and thrifty and use what you have.

good job keep em growin

10. way to improvise!!
    Who needs a 80$ cloning bucket when you got rubberbands and sandwhich bags.

11. #71 knucklemonkey, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009

You know, I've seen countless threads about cloning, mostly hydro, but this little sandwich bag dealio is pretty cool. You can tell by the pictures below that all 6 of the clones are going to make it now and all it took was a little humidity in their personal "humidity domes". Sandwich bags. I love it.

So I got a new 600W HPS for the flowering box. I bought a 600W HPS bulb that's specific for flowering for the flowering box. Amazing at how different the two identical lights with identical setups look with different bulbs. You can tell by the first 2 pictures below, 1st being the flowering room on it's 1st day of 12/12 and the 2nd being the veg room on the first day of the new 600W HPS.

Did I mention that today is day one for 6 in the flowering box? First day of flowering ferts. And the 12 others are looking good in the veg box. Clones are looking lively...knucklemonkey is feeling groovy about the infinite multi-strain grow!

[note: 1st pic is the flowering room on day 1 of flowering (under the flowering bulb too), 2nd pic is of the veg room under the new 600W HPS veg bulb, 3rd is of the previously nearly dead clones, 4th is of the same clones fter misting and pics.]

Attached Files:

12. Your clones do look happy in their baggies! :smoking:

I cut some myself today, although I went a little crazier with the scissors ;)

13. Day 2 of flowering the original 6 is now complete and man are they looking good. To me they are anyway.

Still waiting on my bugs to get here. I ended up cancelling the 1st order of ladybugs because those people never filled the order. 3 weeks + and still no ladybugs. I don't have any kind of a bug problem, just a few white flies and some assorted little bugs that show here and there but nothing serious.

My idea of buying ladybugs was just my way of obtaining organic pesticide. And I think it's cool.

So I ordered some preying mantis as well. I know, I know, it's kind of wierd but hey, the grow boxes can be breeding grounds for the good bugs that fight the bad bugs in my outdoor garden too. Ladybugs and preying mantis' (mantii?) are a neat concept. Throw in vermicomposting and growing comfrey and I'm a regular hippie.

And digging it man.

[note: just one pic tonight and it's of the flowering first six. I spaced them out a few inches from one another today and fed them tiger bloom, big bloom and open sesame (all by foxfarm) yesterday with no feeding or watering today.]

Attached Files:

14. i know it hurts to do so...but you really need to cut those big leaves off that clone...you want to go scissor happy and leave next to nothing...theyll be growing roots then new leaves in no time...look how fast they grow when they are seedlings with next to no leaves...the flower looks good man....what kind of bulb do you have?

15. Dude it really is not easy cutting on the plants. I'm no tree hugger per se but I hate to hurt my babies. I feel you though. All 6 actually look strong enough and vibrant enough that I feel like they could be transplanted now. I'm in no hurry, though. And I appeciate all the tips anyone can give me.

I have two lights just like this. The one in the flowering box has the Hortilux LU600S/HTL enhanced blue/violet spectrum 85,000 lumens HPS lamp for flowering and fruiting. The one in the veg box has the Sunmaster LM600W.U25.CDX 4000K high output 50,000 lumens metal halide conversion bulb for vegetative growth. This site is way cheaper than I paid for mine but the setups are the exact same. I like them so far.

Tonights pics should show the 6 in the flowering box with noticable change. I'm using the Foxfarm Trio (Big Bloom, Grow Big & Tiger Bloom) since I've heard to much about it and my Comfrey garden won't be ready for quite some time. I'm also using the Foxfarm Soluble Tri-Pack (Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz & Cha Ching) but I'm not using even half of what they suggest.

16. pulling up a chair, looks great ;)

:bongin:

17. #77 knucklemonkey, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
    Day 3 of flowering the first 6 down! 53 or so to go! I realize that a living pesticide isn’t something I’ve seen discussed much but I’m not sure why. I ordered ladybugs (1500) and praying mantis’ (200-800) and they arrived today. I didn’t know what to expect really but they came in a box shipped like any other shipment. I unloaded the contents…
    [​IMG]
    The ladybugs were in a plastic bag, sealed, with many of them dead. Seriously though, like I need 1500 ladybugs. I released a few ladybugs (20-40?) in each box and put the rest in a container with a screen top and placed it in the fridge. They hibernate or something while they are in the fridge and then spring to life when they warm up. The first picture below is the veg box, the second is the flowering box…
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The praying mantis’ came in the form of 4 cocoons, each holding 200 or so eggs. I didn’t know what to expect and I didn’t want 200 praying mantis’ to suddenly leap from the cocoon all “Alien” style so I put some rubber gloves on first. A pretty shade of yellow. Here is what the cocoon looked like…
    [​IMG]
    Kinda gnarly. So I took 3 of the cocoons and used twisty ties to fasten them to the branches of some rose bushes outside of my house. I figure that should populate my yard and gardens real nicely with these kickass predators. They say to attach the cocoons to the branches to avoid ants and birds and the like from eating the babies when they come hatch (as the spring and summer progesses).

Since I have no predators to worry with in the veg box, I placed 1 cocoon on the ground under a leaf in the youngest plant’s pot (Frankie)…
    [​IMG]
    I realize that as the praying mantis’ get full grown they will likely eat the ladybugs but by that point it should be all good and I can decide which predator is working best in my boxes. Until then I want to explore the benefits of both in removing unwanted insects.

UPDATE: Here is a direct link to the post where the mantids hatched and starting running around like maniacs.
    [note: 1st pic is of the flowering box, 2nd pic is of the veg box.]

Attached Files:

18. Looks bad to the bone. mad props... Because of you I'm going to go buy a single praying mantis, and his name will be God. So it is written.

19. #79 knucklemonkey, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009

HA! Too cool! And I just realized you can buy bugs cheaper on Amazon.com.
    [​IMG]

20. haha nice. Praying manti are badass.
    I had one if those cocoons and placed it in my front yard and nothing came of it lol
    Oh well. Looking great!
    It's weird how the 400w has more of an orange tint then the 600w.