Knowledge!

Discussion in 'General' started by gobble wobble, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Was told today that a banana tree is not a tree at all. Apparently it's a herb! Ahha learn something new everyday

2. Yeah the largest herb or something

3. A Banana is a vegetable, not a fruit or a herb.

A Tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable.

4. a banana is vegetable?!

5. I'm almost certain that that is a fallacy. Fruits are typically sweet, vegetables are the opposite. Of course there are more advanced ways of distinguishing between the two, but I'm no botanist.

1. Most fruits are sweet.
    2. Bananas are sweet.
    3. Therefore, Bananas must be fruits.

So using our logic, I think it's safe to say bananas are fruits, not vegetables :hello:

6. [quote name='"thestonedstoner"']

I'm almost certain that that is a fallacy. Fruits are typically sweet, vegetables are the opposite. Of course there are more advanced ways of distinguishing between the two, but I'm no botanist.

1. Most fruits are sweet.
    2. Bananas are sweet.
    3. Therefore, Bananas must be fruits.

So using our logic, it's safe to say bananas are fruits, not vegetables :hello:[/quote]

You all must be on another planet and you can google it if you wanted to know the truth. I did the chief training when I was young and that was something simple I learnt. But if you all need to be knowitalls, then far be it for me to get involved.

7. Well i feel smarter reading this than from when one of my classmates almost convinced me that bananas grow on vines.

8. [quote name='"clonedkewe"']

You all must be on another planet and you can google it if you wanted to know the truth. I did the chief training when I was young and that was something simple I learnt. But if you all need to be knowitalls, then far be it for me to get involved.[/quote]

Well I was and still am sort of pressed for time, so rather than spending my time doing research on something as trivial as whether bananas are fruits or vegetables, I decided to exercise my logic.

Note the wording in my statements, I didn't say bananas are fruits (as in 100% fact), I said they must be (as in, they more than likely are) fruits. But since you insist, when I have the time I will do some research and report back with my findings.

Please don't mistake me for a "know-it-all," I'm nowhere near that level of arrogance. We are having a logical debate, so there's no need for either of us to feel insulted.

9. cucumbers are also fruits. WEIRD!

10. Dude are we really debating whether or not bananas are fruit? Bananas are fruit thst grow on an herb. They're technically berries. And tomatoes and cucumber are fruit too. If it has seeds, it's a fruit.

11. I don't agree with the last part. Many things other than fruits have seeds. Oak trees produce acorns, and inside the acorn is a seed. When you plant that seed you get an oak tree. So are acorns fruit? No.

12. This is true I was thinking more along the lines of using that as criteria for differentiating between fruits and vegetables. Hopefully no one confuses nuts with fruits and vegetables.

13. [quote name='"thestonedstoner"']

Well I was and still am sort of pressed for time, so rather than spending my time doing research on something as trivial as whether bananas are fruits or vegetables, I decided to exercise my logic.

Note the wording in my statements, I didn't say bananas are fruits (as in 100% fact), I said they must be (as in, they more than likely are) fruits. But since you insist, when I have the time I will do some research and report back with my findings.

Please don't mistake me for a "know-it-all," I'm nowhere near that level of arrogance. We are having a logical debate, so there's no need for either of us to feel insulted.[/quote]

That's cool, I've been interacting with someone on another thread and they come across as a complete wet blanket. But there is most likely a few decades age gap between us. Same is possible with you and I.

Be careful with that logical debate thing, as there are plenty of facts of life. That are anything except logical and there is no such thing as an ideal world.

As for doing research on the interweb, be careful. As often there is more than one answer to any given question and you have to look. At who is giving the answer and if it is a legit website? When I started with Nursing Research, I quickly found that some generate their own research and create the answers they want. The subject of Marijuana is the perfect example and so many are doing it.

[quote name='"thestonedstoner"']

I don't agree with the last part. Many things other than fruits have seeds. Oak trees produce acorns, and inside the acorn is a seed. When you plant that seed you get an oak tree. So are acorns fruit? No.[/quote]

Nice. :D

14. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but...You're all totally misinformed. Bananas are a unique species of fish.