KNOW WHAT'S IN YOUR WATER

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Senseimillan, Mar 3, 2016.

1. So I have decided to write this little rant because I continue to see people wrongly assuming and telling EVERYBODY that nobody uses chlorine to treat their tap water anymore.

Well, STOP LIEING TO PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY NEWBIES!

I live in Metro Vancouver, and ALL OF OUR RESERVOIR WATER IS STILL TREATED WITH CHLORINE.

I hope I haven't offended anyone or broken any rules. But come on! I see respected people spreading this misinformation...

• Like Like x 2
  2. I work with municipal water in the US and Canada. Nearly ALL municipalities treat their water with chlorine. If you have well water, great. You have other issues to contend with. If you are on city, community, or neighborhood water the odds are outstanding that your water contains some amount of chlorine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks mook for the confirmation. Many municipalities have changed to chloramine. The misinformation I'm referring to is the assumption that EVERYONE has made the switch. Because they just haven't.

4. I tested 4 types here...
    Our Drinking water was the worse...
    Hard -Well Water

I use Lake water...
    But Snow and Rain check out fine too.

5. To be fair I including chloramine. Does it not have the same effect when mixed with ammonia?? I don't want my plants drinking that either. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Glad that you asked. Because chlorine can be evaporated very easily, but chloramine cannot be boiled or evaporated out of the water. It needs specialized filtration.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I totally agree, I see people saying this a lot, and I'm left there thinking "well, have you tested everybody's tap water in the whole world?" Because that's about 7 billion taps lol

I have 0.573mg of chlorine per litre of water

This is what's in my tap water.. and with a ppm of 50 I'm very happy with it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3

8. Problem solve
    Mines lasts 8000 gallons
    Been using it since the start and my plants have 0 issues

9. Is there something missing? No media showed up.

10. That's a pretty cool filter for people with chlorinated water (like me! I might get one). Unfortunately, if your tap water is using chloramine, this filter will remove the chlorine molecule from the chloramine molecule, still allowing ammonia through. You still need to use RO filter to remove the ammonia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I smell no ammonia after it comes through. I even tasted it before I gave it to my plants and it tastes like bottled water

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just because you cannot smell it does not mean it is not there. For you to be able to smell it, it'd need to be concentrated. Cat piss stinks. Put a teaspoon or two of it in a gallon of water I bet it doesn't stink anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I found this on Stack Exchange today while I was doing my day-to-day, and hope it might be of value to others.

OP: "I've seen a lot of information saying that chlorine can be bad for some plants and the suggestion to let the water sit out for several hours before using it on plants. I rarely see anything about chloramine, a common alternative to chlorine in municipal water.

Chloramine doesn't evaporate from the water (which is why it is used) but it has the same anti-bacterial effect.

Will chloramine harm plants the same way chlorine allegedly does?"

Short answer:
    Chloramine water is about as safe for plants as chlorinated water is. Generally, as long as the plants/animals are not amphibious/aquatic (i.e., the water goes directly to the tissues), it should be fine to water your garden with chloramine water. In all other cases, the water will need further treatment before it can be used.

Long answer:
    Chloramine is used these days instead of the traditional chlorine, because it stays longer in the water distribution system, thereby increasing its effectiveness. The most common sources of reliable information on the internet is from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and local public utilities' websites.

Some important points from the EPA's FAQs are (general):

• Chloraminated water is safe to use for drinking and cooking.
    • Chlorine and monochloramine can be harmful to fish because they directly enter their bloodstream through the gills.
    • Chlorine and monochloramine can also prevent the growth of beneficial bacteria that are necessary for healthy fish tanks.
    The last two points are also echoed in Stanford University Utility Division's infosheet (PDF):

Is chloraminated water safe for plants and animals that do not live in water, like my pet dog or cat?

Chloraminated water is as safe as chlorinated water for plants and animals that do not live in water. Chloramine is only dangerous for fish, reptiles, shellfish, and amphibians that take water directly into their bloodstream.

and also in the San Francisco public utilities commission's infosheet.

Scientific study:
    The following study showed that root browning occurred in lettuce due to the reaction of hypochlorous acid in tap water and ammonia in the nutrient solution (the reaction produces chloramine).

S. Date, K. Naba, K. Kobayashi and T. Namiki, "Induction of Root Browning by Chloramine in Lactuca sativa L. Grown in Hydroponics", Journal of the Japanese Society for Horticultural Science Vol. 71 (2002) No. 4 P 485-489

The induction of RB occurred only when plants were cultured in the solutions containing both hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and ammonium ion (NH4+), but not in the solutions contained either HOCl or NH4+ alone. The addition of NaOCl (HOCl) followed by NH4H2PO4 (NH4+) solution after a 7-10 day storage or NH4H2PO4 followed by NaOCl solution induced no RB symptom. It was concluded that RB was induced by chloramine, a reaction product between HOCl and NH4+.

A followup study by the same authors is the following:

S. Date, S. Terabayashi, Y. Kobayashi and Y. Fujime, "Effects of chloramines concentration in nutrient solution and exposure time on plant growth in hydroponically cultured lettuce," Scientia Horticulturae, Volume 103, Issue 3, 30 January 2005, Pages 257-265, ISSN 0304-4238, DOI: 10.1016/j.scienta.2004.06.019.

In summary, it is highly possible that the anecdotal evidence in Susan's answer, re: burning of roots, and that of dying pond plants, frogs and fish is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  14. For soil and organic growers, this is especially important. It will kill beneficial bacteria.

For everyone else, you may or may not encounter root problems.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SCIENCE, BITCHES!
    This is what the internet needs more of.Great posts with actual data to back up claims and giving people the information they need to make their own decision. Not screaming bloody murder about something that they're sure is true because Jim Bob says it's true, and 'ol Jim Bob is totally knowledgeable about water n shit.

16. I must be seriously out of the loop since I have never heard anybody ever mention such a thing to me.

17. With the led issues affecting water supplies and communities across America, it`s more important than ever to know what you`re adding to your soil (and your body!)

Check this out