King Loki's Coco, Random Indica seed, 2019 first grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by King Loki, Feb 9, 2019.

1. #1 King Loki, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Hey guys, first-time grower here ... am just starting a journal so I can get some advice in 1 place .. all advice is welcomed and appreciated

Random Indica (seeds given to me by a friend, as I assumed I'd bugger up my first grow and didn't want to waste good seeds haha)
    Early veg
    Indoor
    Coco Coir / perlite
    HLG V2 135 Watt Quantum Board
    450w LED full spectrum (IR and UV)
    80cm (2.5 feet)x80cm x 160cm (5.2 feet) Grow Tent
    26/27 degrees celsius 55 - 60% humidity
    5.8/6.0 PH
    2x Daily waterings to 30% runoff (feeds are 12 hours apart)
    I was using the H3ad 6/9 method .. this was way too hot, so now I am doing 1.5ml micro and 3ml of bloom per gallon ... (anymore micro than this and I get clawing and dark green leaves)
    2x 12L fabric pots and 2x10L fabric pots and 1x 8L fabric pots.

First day seeds in the ground Jan 23rd
    [​IMG]

first ladies to crack the surface Jan 25th, Planted 6 seeds got 5 sprouts
    [​IMG]

Happy little seedlings Jan 30th started a 1/4 strength nutes a day before this here
    [​IMG]

February 2nd still on quarter-strength nutes
    [​IMG]

February 5th, still on quarter-strength nutes

[​IMG]

February 8th still on quarter-strength nutes
    [​IMG]
    20190208_142034.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good call skipping the boring part of the grow. Did ya run into any problems so far?

3. only problems I've had so far is being a bit reckless with my watering and got some nute burn splashes on my leaves ... one of the plants is growing a bit funny but he is keeping up in growth with the others. not sure what's happening might just be genetics 20190209_134723.jpg 20190209_134738.jpg

4. #4 GorillaGherkin, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    I’ve had that before only thing I could think it was, was a ph fluctuation or temp of water bein to cold goin in but,if it’s only one leaf I wouldn’t worry bout it.

5. Is that plant closest to the fan?

6. nah it's not the closest but I had the bigger fan on oscillate which I think was blowing on it hard now I'm just using the bigger fan to move air and the small one on the plants

7. The wind-on-the-plant may cause it to grow short and stout. I don't mind short and stout plants, have produced quite a kick in the end. Also easier to manage their height (during transition).

8. Damn has Loki sued u for name infringement lol??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. did some topping on 3 of my plants today
    20190210_143352.jpg 20190210_143419.jpg 20190210_143429.jpg 20190210_143445.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey guys, I woke up to check my plants after a watering session last night and noticed the bottom leaves on one of my plants are starting to lighten up in colour ... which from my research seems to be indicative of a nitrogen deficiency ... I just thought I'd post up some pics for some of the experienced growers to confirm my suspicions of nitrogen deficiency. I have had them on a quarter strength nutes and am wondering if now is the time to start bumping up those nutrients ... my tap water is 250 ppm and i usually cal-mag to 400PPM and then nutes upto about 650/700 ppm.
    20190211_123801.jpg 20190211_123750.jpg 20190211_123723.jpg 20190211_123659.jpg

Attached Files:

11. I readjusted my feeding to half strength instead of quarter strength as after I did some reading people were saying to give 50% strength at the start of week 3 and I'm on about day 17

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey guys so after I did the topping I used some rubber garden ties to pull the fan leaves away from the new tops coming through is this ok ?? seem like getting more light to the new tops would be good right? 20190212_170213 - Copy.jpg 20190212_170220 - Copy.jpg 20190212_170227 - Copy.jpg 20190212_170253 - Copy.jpg 20190212_170414 - Copy.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 King Loki, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Day 19 since breaking soil.

I did some more training today ( not 100% sure what I'm doing haha) ... The 2 on the right-hand side are the same strain as each other (still not sure what strain, but the weed from it made me forgetful as shit lol)

3 on the left ( middle plant included) are also the same strain as each other (not sure which strain though) although they are blowing up right now.
    [​IMG]

Since I topped this one (front left), the little nodes on the stem have rocketed out for the light ... I have tried to pull the bigger fan leaves away from them and making sure they are getting to poke through ... is this the correct thing to do? I'm not sure haha ?
    [​IMG]

The back one on the left-hand side has also had some major growth from the stem since the topping ... I am trying to do the same thing and get all the little guys to the light by pinning down the fan leaves and letting them come through ... I sure hope this is what I'm meant to do haha
    [​IMG]

the guys on the right got a bit of a Nitrogen deficiency as I was running quarter strength nutes for the first few days of week 3 instead of half strength and these guys paid the price a bit ... but I think it's fixed now though ...they definitely aren't getting the growth of the other 3 but they are also a different strain.
    [​IMG]

lady on the front right had a bit of slowed growth to the deficiency and topping at the same time I think not blowing up like the other strain but still going pretty good have also pulled the fan leaves back to get the light to the new tops and stem nodes.
    [​IMG]

this lady in the middle started off as the runt that everyone thought would not make it ... but low and behold not only has she made it but she is now growing really well ... she got topped today so is probably cranky but I'm impressed with her comeback.
    [​IMG]

Attachments

• Like Like x 1
  14. OK now because I am a new grower and have never really grown anything in my life up until this point I did a lot of research and watched so many youtube videos, growing video, read many pages of forums and asked questions there too, read papers on PAR, Temps, humidity, deficiencies, PPM's, PH, VPD's ... which was pretty good and helped me a lot, but there is no substitute for experience.

Temps have been high in Australia at the moment so they are pushing the 29 degrees celcius (84.2 F) mark sometimes during the day I have tried to combat this but freezing 2L bottles of water and putting them in front of my fans which seem to be going well I have been using a VPD chart though to make sure my humidity levels and heat are optimal.

Now as we can see those leaves are very green .. and that is because I overfed them ... I Started to get a nitrogen deficiency on the plants on the right, well I thought it was nitrogen deficiency looking back now it was probably PH lockout/issue due to high salt buildup because I was listening to people tell me to let my coco dry out ... so because I was feeding them a quarter strength, I was like well, they must need a half-strength, so I fed them half strength 6/9 h3ad formula nutes to try and fix the problem, which came upto like 1000ppm and because I'm a noob I just used it and watered them lol

then I was watching a YouTuber who said to run 3ml calmag 4ml of micro and 8 ml of bloom from week 3 till flowering... so I did that to the next watering came up to like 1000+ ppm again and once again because I'm a noob I feed them with this again ...

So then as of course would happen all the leaves started clawing and turning dark green. I knew what this was immediately as I had read a bunch on deficiencies and toxicity clear case of nitrogen toxicity ... so I double flushed my pots with 500 PPM nutes and they are now on the road to recovery I am now using a PPM chart from a fluence bioengineering paper I read and am now feeding them at 1.3 ec (650 ppm) at a ratio of 2/3.78 ... I might even go a bit lower

Ill start LST in the next few days as the tops have come through nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the star of the show at the moment bushing up and getting large, only problems have been from overfeeding ie. user error. I hope she doesn't turn out male .. such a nice plant

[​IMG]

Same strain as the first pic, she is growing pretty nicely as well new tops have come through nicely and got some good lower growth after she had been topped.

[​IMG]

This one (middle, same strain as first 2 ) started off as the runt and is still shorter than the others and is still in a smaller pot as I don't have the room for another larger pot [​IMG] she is growing really well now and has shown me that coco can definitely support plants in smaller pots quite well, something I will use to my advantage next grow

[​IMG]

This is a different strain to the previous 3 ... these guys started with the bottom leaves yellowing which was either nitro deficiency or PH lockout from me not knowing what the fuck I was doing [​IMG]. You can see my bad watering in the plant growth progression itself with the yellowing bottom leaves the super dark green leaves in the middle and normal colored leaves coming from the top now that I think I have the nutes dialed in .. she is telling the story of my grow haha

[​IMG]

Now this one has been the worse affected out of all my gal's .. I think I was not watering this plant properly which caused big ph and deficiency issues ... she is starting to bounce back a little now ... but I have seriously considered pulling her out for the other plant in the middle ... still considering it now ... but it so hard to just kill them after you have put so much effort into them haha.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. You should think of taking some early clones to sex. They are still young for that, but if you can set up a little cloner and some 12/12 lighting somewhere else, you could save yourself a possible heartache. You would just need some CFLs or similar I think.

Also, I'm not convinced you need that much calmag with that high a ppm. I haven't been adding any calcium in my tap, just a touch of epsom, and I have a similar ppm (~220)... although I still add some, just like sporadically, maybe twice a week, and not much either. Whatever though, cal mag is cheap and if its working, maybe best to keep at it.

Make sure to feed to runoff each day. At least once a day. At least 25% runoff, better more. I also suggest that you test your runoff's pH and EC from time to time. You have the tools.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 King Loki, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Yeah I have been reading up on checking the runoff, today, in fact, haha, and as far as I understand you want the PPM's coming out of the plant to be almost the same as what you're putting in? Feel free to tell me if I am wrong as I've only just started really looking into it today

like if the PPM is coming out higher then you have put in, that means the plants are not eating all the nutrients and it starts to build up causing salts to rise and ph to change/fluctuate, and can cause lockout and toxicity's? ... and if it comes out lower it means they are eating it so you can give more?

I might be totally wrong on this haha.

17. The idea of DTW (drain-to-waste) is so not to worry too much about any of that stuff. Like I monitor the runoff maybe once or twice a week, unless something is wrong. I 'm not too worried about the EC, the buildup is being drained off. That's why I was saying its better to have more runoff than less. If you monitor a lot you will always be on top of it, meaning if the pH starts to drift too far down, you can pull it up (and vice versa). The EC... not so descriptive in DTW; best to follow a schedule and watch the plant for def's or toxicities.

If the runoff's EC is higher, it doesn't mean that the plant isn't absorbing nutrients, it means that its absorbing more water and leaving the salts behind.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ok thanks man, I did notice today that if I put 1 liter though my 12-liter pots I get roughly 300ml back out .. which is 30% so pretty good

but when I put 1 liter though my 10L pots I got back around 500mL .. which is 50% so I can probably put less in and save some nutes.

when feeding twice a day what is the best amount of time in between feeds ?

19. I only feed coco once a day, but I imagine best at morning and evening. Someone else would need to chime in on this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I think I have the feeding down now, the plants have really gone nuts since I feed twice a day now (I feed every 12 hours) ... I'm putting 3ml of micro and 6ml of bloom into 5L of water (which is 2.25ml micro and 4.5ml per gallon for the USA readers) , and every second feeding I add 1ml of cal mag for the entire 5L ... plants seem to be loving this schedule ..

my runoff PPM's are within 200-250 of the nutes. They are above what I'm putting in, I put in between 650 and 750 PPM (my tap water is at 270) and getting out like 800-900, and the PH is pretty much spot on at 5.7-5.9 across all 5 plants.

If the runoff ppm keeps creeping up I will maybe flush with low PPM once per week .. I would say the runoff PMM's will continue to rise as it is really hot in Australia at the moment and they are probably drinking a lot of water instead of the nutes.

I will post up some more pics in a few days so we can see the changes that feeding twice per day will achieve.

• Like Like x 1