Kinda confused, need some help please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bneumann0, Jul 29, 2017.

1. I'm thinking about switching to led to save on the electric bill. What I'm confused about is the wattage and actual draw. If a light is listed as say 480w but the actual draw is 190w would that use only 190w of power? If I wanted to replace a 600w HID would I need 2 of those lights because they are 480w equivalent or would I need 4 since the actual draw is 190w?

2. you'll be pulling the 190 of power if that. I thought the same when I got my 350w and it doesnt pull anywhere NEAR that. It's a bit confusing still to me too

3. It's a marketing scam by some led manufacturers. For instance, they claim that their so-called 300w led which only pulls 135w will be equivalent to a 300w bulb, but that's not true. If you want to replace a 600w HID - you will need 3 of those lights, which basically will save you no money on power draw. Don't pay any attention to equivalents - actual watts used is all that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. So really LED won't save on the electric bill? Would a 400w actual draw LED be more powerful than a 400w HID?

5. i think what hes saying if you wanted that amount of wattage you would need 4 to replace it, thus, making the bill higher. if you're using less wattage then its less money. more lights=more wattage

6. It would be slightly more powerful and efficient but it wouldn't replace a 600w HPS. LED's generate less heat than HID's and you won't have bulb replacement, so you'll have a slight reduction in overall cost and power because the room will stay cooler. I replaced my 600w HPS with a 650w LED and I couldn't be happier. Keep in mind the HID's will be less expensive than a quality LED - watt to watt.

7. What LED did you get? Is that 650w actual draw?

8. NextLight Mega Full Spectrum LED - 650w actual draw - it ain't cheap. I don't reference the equivalents, only actual. One harvest paid for it 3 times over.
    Nextlight Mega.JPG

9. That looks like an awesome light and definitely something I'll look into in the future but right now my budget is a little small for that. Do you recommend any cheaper alternatives? Something for a 4x4 and maybe a 4x8 in the future?

10. Sorry, I don't recommend anything that I don't have first hand knowledge. I'm sure there are plenty of good growers on here that can help you. Good luck.