Kind of Paint to Use on Seeds

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Cannatraders, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of paint Green House seeds uses to color it seeds. I have tons of seeds that I would like too save for years to come and I think the best way would be to color code them. I would do this by hand. Does anyone know what kind of paint they use or paint that would not harm the seeds for long term storage? Also what they use to code them for storage?

Thanks

2. I hear it is to help germination and infection in the form of various fungus. It should have Mycorizze or whatever as well

3. That's what I heard too, I heard the colors are random, or just by chance or whatever, but the coating was some form of fert that helps in the seedling/early veg stage for different sickness and other resistant traits.

4. I've actually heard opposite of all you guys, I've always heard the paint just causes more problems when germing.

5. Well as with any company, what they said it does, and what it actually does can be two different things.

6. Yeah, in every grow journal I've seen with em, the grower always rinsed the paint off first, then germinated em.

7. What is the problem with pill baggies from the pharmacy labeled with a sharpie. Store in a cool dark, dry spot, and they will last a loooooooong time.

8. :cool:

9. they have been coating seeds for agricultural purposes for several years. its supposed to assist the plant in the beginning stages of life. the color is just to help identify. i would say if your not any type of botanist dont try it. like the other guy said. grab some old pill bottles and a sharpee.

10. Ive been thinking of the paint idea aswell but yes good ole sharpie or writing shit down works too. But was/am really interested in the paint for when there are too many seeds!