Kill ? Or not Kill?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by weednotcrack, Mar 10, 2010.

1. So yeah,i got these seeds that been in these pot for like 1 week and are under a light that is for flowering stage cuz i can't afford a better one,but yeah.From the late couple of times i grew ,it seemed that the ones that grew the fastest were males,my question is to you experts do you think i should kill it or not:confused:

Attached Files:

2. hps will grow plant's decent in veg too..
    you can't judge the sex until preflowering stage...
    let it grow(veg) for a while, flower, then look for any males...

cheer's

3. alright...i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

4. ya man that's all you can do...even growing fem seed's we all still have to keep an eye out for hermie's around flowering time..
    good luck hope there ladies...

5. An hps will cause male tendencies, like elongated growth. When you get a few bucks look into a 100watt flood the cfl kind from lights of america, they sell em at home depot, there great for veg and believe it or not can contribute to more females due to the lower temp and more blue in there spectrum.Heres a few steps you can take to get more females from seed..

Lower temps,
    High humidity,
    More blue light and fewer hours of light, I use 14 hours starting at germintion, and changing to 18 once the sex is shown
    also more nitrogen and lower potassium for the first 2 weeks of veg growth, (once the plant has 3 pairs of true leaves, not including cotyledons.

I can say this does work ive tested it 3 different times and got a higher percentage of females compaired to my controls. Try it youll see.

6. alright,for the time being i can only do the low temps and light hour change:eek:

7. Sorry, not at all true. Gender is genetically predetermined in MJ. You can't change a boy plant into a girl any more than you can change a male human baby in a female.

@OP, your plant is stretched for light, not showing any gender tendencies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thanx's toasty for the fact's ..lol, i've been vegging plant's for years under hps...no hermie's!
    and toasty is dead on...

high humidity? welcome to bud mold and lot's of pset's! that's what high humidity will cause...

lot's of crazy info on that reply..

cheer's

9. High humitity during 'flowering' will cause bud mold, not during veg. High humidity in the range of 60 to 70% will not cause mold in veg especially if air is moving/vented and whatnot thats simple microbiology.

Now, as far as seeds being, pre determined, well Im not gonna say your wrong but my case studies would and also Jorge C. who Id be willing to bet has much more experience than you or I and most others on here. According to him and..

"Environmental facors start influencing sex the moment the seedling has three pairs of true leaves not counting cotyledons. Environmental factors that influence sex determination of cannabis include but are not limited to:
    Increasing the amount of nitrogen makes more female plants, lower the nitrogen to create more male plants. Increase the level of potassium to increase male tenencies, lowering the potassium level encourages female plants. Higher nitrogen level and lower potassium level for the first two weeks increases female (meaning first two weeks of veg not seedling stage). Low temperatures increase the number of female plants. Warm temps make more male plants. High humidity increases the number of female plants. Low humidity increases male plants. Low growing medium moisture increases males. More blue light increases the number of female plants. More red light increases male tendencies. Fewer houres of daylight increases the number of females. Longer days (e.g. 18 hours) make more male plants. Stress: any enviromental stress tends to yield more male plants when growing from seed.

He dosent go on to gaurentee 100% success, nor do take everything I see or read as hard fact, hence the reason I tested the theory. Now, after testing it 3 seperate times I found it to be correct. First time 20 seeds, 10 that way 10 the total opposite, of the ten that way I got 8 female 2 male, the other 4 female 6 male,( Second time, 50 seeds 25 that way 25 the other, of that, 18 female 7 male and the other, almost opposite with 14 males 11 females,(Third time went with 100 and again the average of females was higher in one than other. Now, naturally the first time I blamed it on luck, but after doing it two more times I started to believe there was more to it than just luck. You can explain one time being lop sided so to speak but not consistantly time and time again. Now, if you want an explaination as to why this happens I couldnt tell you, but if i had to put money down on this I would due to what ive seen, not read, seen. So im not saying your wrong or rite, as I believed the same thing at one time but I can say it works. Now as far as facts and crazy info, I determine facts by personally challenging them, and whats crazy is that I was rite.

10. +1

op, follow this advice and you will be ok :)

never kill a plant before you are 100% sure that it is male.

11. 3 plants in the same pot is a no no ...

12. Yup, just wanted to add as a side note, that yes, gender is predetermined at generation of the seed, but there are several plants and even animals that have the ability to change gender after birth (and maturity). This trait is actually not terribly uncommon in some of the more primitive reptile species.

In the one species I have seen personally (can't remember the name, but they are native to central Florida), the deciding factor is the percentage of males in the population. Once the percentage of males drops below a certain point (don't remember exactly what it is, but it is very low, below 5% I think) some of the females of the community become male.

YAY GENETICS!!!!

13. well actually you can lol just takes some surgery and alot of money. haha sorry couldnt resist puttin that in.

but on topic... even if it turns male u could harvest the polen, never know u might want some seeds for another grow.

14. #14 findme, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
    lol. just think if that happened in humans. That would be funny.

or breed with another cool strain. I love thta :)

15. Just to clarify OP, I never said your seedling was a male, so no dont kill it. Your light is fine, but will cause stretching due to more red in the spectrum, stretching is a male "tendency" meaning just that, males tend to stretch or be taller but not in every case which is why no plant is chopped prior to pre flowers.

Unfortunatly, the biggest weakness of most growers old and new is the inablity to listen to or try new things and Im no exception as I was the same way 15 years ago, I think the main reason for this is fear of admitting that possibly what they have heard/read then preached is incorrect or there is a better way. People get stuck in there ways and think its "the only way" So great advise would be, try things and decide for yourself and never doubt there may be another way.:smoking: