kids killing themselves cuz of.....ANTIDEPRESSENTS!

Discussion in 'General' started by wee-one, Aug 21, 2004.

1. so.. anyone here watching the news lately... the last week or two there has been lots on kids killing themselves because of their antidepressents...like zoloft. in 3%.... but millions take antidepressants... so lots of kids are kiling themselves..... theyve found out that it is starting to have adverse effects and making them way way more depressed and they commit suicide.

wtf.... ANOTHER reason why marijuana should be legal. why the fuck do these companies spend years coming up with these new drugs that will fix our problems with one pop of the pill. and they could just smoke some pot, they would be less depressed, prolly forget most of their problems, and be more social. the governments has fucked themselves yet again.

if anyone wants to add something or a news article about this feel free.........

2. very good point wee one...as a matter of fact(this has nothing to do with pills) but another argument on pot...i was reading the DEAs arguments Weed Vs. Beer, DEA says people drink beer as a REFRESHMENT...and people smoke pot to PURPOSLEY alter their mind...well let the GC community comment on that shit, how many people do you know have killed another person on the road while smoking weed? if anything it(for me anyways) makes me MORE cautious...drinking...we all know the statistics

3. dude.... yeah. and wtf..... then why do people smoke cigarretes???i doubt my mom, which smokes(cigs), even knows that you can get a buzz off of it...wtf. its just to smoke! people start smoking cigs too either look cool, fit in, or the fact of smoking something (like i used to be)

yes we all want to get high, but we also want to smoke something that wont rot your lungs your give you cancer! smoking if fun! they purposely put things in cigs to get your hooked and addicted and there are something like 300 chemicals in cigs that are KNOWN to cause cancer. like 6,000 chemicals in cigs in total....wtf. i just wanna smoke a fucking plant that makes me happy and have a good time. im a really big anti ciggarette person... and yes i have smoked cigs.

but wtf.... the gov is just kicking themselves in the ass by coming up with all these drugs...how many used to be prescription drugs or are drugs do people abuse..... prolly around 30-50 or so....wtf. like that special true life on mtv about adderal.... and e, and speed and shit....wtf... the government needs to get some fucking ballz and take care of this shit instead of sitting there with their thumbs up their asses pretending none of it is happening. like the antidepressent thing.... they havent even debated anything about it yet?!?! RECALL IT!

4. coming from expieriance, antidepressants have zero effect on me. I see the problem still, I know it's there and it's still the same as before. Nothings happening and I'm suppose to feel good and shit. Fuck that, Ill just smoke and feel good right away. If that was my antidepressant and it wouldnt effect my life like a job or people in anyway, this would be the perfect antidepressant. It already is.

5. dude, wtf? i wouldnt drink to be REFRESHED, thats bullshit. alcohol fucks you up thats why people drink, pot fucks you up so people smoke it. alcohol is a "drug" by any defination

6. the doctors who keep prescribing these pills dont realize that those anti-depressents only work if it is a chemical imbalence.
    if the person actually has a reason to be depressed then its a lost cause
    (i stopped taking my pills when i realized this)

whereas weed, if you smoke enough will let you forget your problems if you smoke enough. and gives you that temporary happyness.
    that could be good but also bad. if they have a steady supply of weed then its good
    but for some people who are dependent on weed to be happy, they could go even deeper into depression then before. those are the people who should see a psychiatrist (sp) for their problems instead of just saying lets pop some pills and hope it works

7. I read that salvia will actually bring shit like that up. somthing that was locked away in your subconcious that was depressing, I guess in a kind of way to MAKE you deal with it. My old boss was addicted to zanex, you could tell too. she acted like a fucking tweaker, couldn't remember what she had said 5 minutes ago. She actually has a scrip for Zanex, I just feel sorry for her 6 yr old kid.

people drink beer as refreshment?!?..well I'm 20 I can go to war die for this country vote, but I can't enjoy a "refreshment" legally..

how many of you guys have ever heard of a stoner coming home and beating his wife and kids..

8. let me correct you guys on a couple things;

alcohol is a toxin, poison by definition... that is why you get so fucked up on it...

and you wouldnt go see a psychiatrist if you are depressed because THEY ARE THE ONES THAT PRESCRIBE IT! psychiatrists diognose you and prescribe you medication, psychologists treat you without medication and tell you what IS wrong with you.

but still....wtf.... i dotn see why we need a magic pill for every fucking thing that "we" see as "problems". wtf. and then the sideeffects.... i have night sweats and often wake in the middle of the night..for example(i dont)... here you go, its pill that will keep you alseep and you wont wake up with nightmares (or some shit like that...) side effects: bleedy nose, increased urination, iritated skin, soem possible heart problems such as heart disease, or a heart attack, possible kidney failure, and migrains... do not take you are nursing or pregnant, drinking increases possible kidney failure....... its like....what the fuck..... id rather wake up in the middle of the night sweaty....

but i mean.... wtf.... suicidal tendencies....omg. thats a first in my book and i remember when some new allergy drug came out and one of the sideeffects was "vaginal bleeding"................

9. I know a couple of psychotherapists.
    I also have heard second hand other people's experiences of psychiatrists.

My own thoughts:
    Ok now the people I have talked to who have been put on drugs by psychiatrists were "seen" for tiny amounts of time by the psychiatrist. They didn't take much time to find out about them just took the symptoms and gave the drugs.

The people I know who have seen therapists etc TALK TO THEM FOR HOURS. That's the general idea of therapy (though there are many forms of theraphy which work with different techniques)- therapists will try to explore why you are depressed. Sometimes it can be due to low sertonin levels etc BUT most of the time it ISN'T.

You can't treat the mind with physical means as it is not, itself, physical. It is also something we do not understand. So isn't it a better idea to stay away from drugs when treating the mind? Whatever they may be.

Anti depressants are addicting as hell. From what I have heard they don't make you feel happy as much as numb your sense of emotion- I.E. you don't FEEL sad but then again you don't feel much of anything. The addiction to antidepressants is often seen as worse than the original problem by the person on them hence depression gets worse because of addiction. And we all know how these people are being treated for depression...

For a period of a couple of weeks it might be useful to have some kind of anti depressant BUT it's not a long term solution if you ask me. I'm only going by what I have heard, read and seen. I've never been depressed.... just my .02... that's all.

10. oh and if people drink beer to refresh themselves then why come I NEVER see anyone drinking non-alcohilic beer?

11. Anti-depressants: stay away from it!. Unfortunately I have had my share of depressions (and still have every now and again) and I've popped a lot of Prozac's Paxils, Remeron's and you name it in my life. Believe me, it's scary shit! Apart from personality change, sleeping problems, sweating, feeling nauseous (sp?), emotional instability, it makes your dick limp and numb and you become indifferent about almost anything in life; also for the good things. You become a zombie.
    And the most ironically is as soon as you quit, the depression returns with a vengeance.
    First you have to deal for 2 months with the worst breaking in symphoms; if you quit you have to deal with the worst withdrawl symphoms, to find out a few weeks later that you're back to the point where you started from.
    I visit a lot of depression forums and I have never read a single testimony of someone who got cured or achieved long term positive effects by anti-depressants. It's all about corporate greed.
    IMHO the less worst solution is taking a minor tranquillizer if you are going through a difficult time (or smoke a J!), but the best is to face your problems and discuss it with a good therapist.
    Peace.

12. people start smoking cigs too either look cool, fit in, or the fact of smoking something [by wee-one] (too lazy to quote)

Anyways, no, alot of people smoke cigs due to stress related problems, and my gramps been smokin since he was like 15, and i never see him without a pipe in his mouth, he says "god took my wife, i quit drinking, atleast let me keep my tabacco..."

As for the anti-depressents, yea, i've noticed this, my brother, 20 years old, and everything woody said is true (i just don't check to see if his dick is limp lol), my brother is a walking zombie who always sleeps all day during the day and never sleeps at night, sometimes i feel bad for him

13. I have a friend who slit her wrist after going on zoloft. Her parents forced her to ask a doctor for an antidepressent because she listened to Marilyn Manson. I moved away before this happened(shes in Florida) so I can't vouch that it really was because of zoloft, all I have to go by is my conversations with her. After she started taking zoloft she became really weird, she kept talking about how the world was out to get her....and in all the years I knew her she was never like that. She was on the pill for 2 weeks before slitting her wrist.

Again I'm not certain if it was because of the zoloft, all I know is she never talked like that until she started taking it. It's definately a topic that needs to be researched further. She's now off of zoloft and is back to normal, so it really makes me wonder what zoloft did to her.

Antidepressents have been known to have opposite effects to those who don't need them, and nowadays they're given out like candy. If you are mildly sad about anything a doctor will put you on them, even if you aren't suffering from depression. These pills will actually cause a chemical imbalance if there was none to begin with.

14. haha at first wit that comment about y people smoke cigarettes i was like "is he tryin to say i smoke to act cool n fit in? but then the smoking something thing came up n thats exactly y i smoke haha, its weird, i jus like to inhale smoke..

and as for the weed thing we all jus need to parade our asses through the streets and protest instead of sittin here cryin about how nothings happening..... think of it like this, how many times have you seen anti marijuana commercials or news reports, tons right, now how many times have u seen news reports about people protesting to try to make something happen with weed legalization.... i for one have never seen anything like that on the news, i've seen people protest cuz of their jobs, cuz of the war, and cuz of other shit they believe should happen, but never weed.... no wonder people think all stoners are lazy.

15. i knew this dude who was on paxil for a little while.. he was going crazy man.. HYPER..

16. Paxil has one advantage(at least for me). While on it I'm like the energizer bunny in the sack, I can just keep going and going. There's no such thing as finishing on paxil.

I don't take antidepressents anymore. I only took them because I was court ordered, and other than that one advantage they suck. I always had a ringing in my ears when I was on any of them, and lacked any kind of emotion. It didn't just get rid of anger and sadness, it also got rid of happiness. I was immune to emotion of any kind.

17. omg....now what i meant was that i smoked for a while cuz i thought it increased ur high or some shit. and the fact that im smoking something when i dont got bud. and when your grandpa, duffey, first started, why did he start? cuz he saw the marlboro commercials of the cowboy smoking cigs.... i bet. he thought people who smoked were cool.... you all know what i meant when i said that......... dont be so literal.

that is fucked up about ur friend...damn.....she slit her wrists.... see what i mean..... the shit makes you suicidal. they should recal it....wtf. the gov. is fucked up.

18. So what about Liqure? (sorry can't spell) I dont know ANYONE who drink liqure to be REFRESHED... LoL What a joke..

Edit.. I meant to include.. I took Antidepressents for several years.. (prozac) and while it helped alot, I didn't want to be stuck to a pill for the rest of my life, jsut to be happy... it's been several years since I've been off now, and I wont pretend that it has been all good.. probably not even half good.. but the happiness I feel is genuen happyness.. not something dirived from an artificial stimulant.. (sorry I've been drinking the Liqure {hehehe} so my spelling is for shit!) Anyways... I do believe that depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain... in fact I know it is, based on MY own experinaces.. But I also know that you can choose your life... maybe I have a huge part of me that is depressed... maybe nothing.. But am I going to let it ruin my life.. no.. I have a husband and a 2 year old daughter who love me more than anything in the world... and believe me when I say sometimes they are the only thing that keep me alive.. I can't COUNT the number of times I've sat in a hot bath with razors ready to go.. and right before I do I think of them.. and it changes everything.. Now I want to make this clear, I'm not saying this to get any "I'm sorry water" or "Good for you" or any of that shit.. I dont need it.. I'm saying this because I have first hand experiance with this type of thing, and you can't POSSIBLY even FATHUM how much it can destroy you until you live it or live with someone else who does. My husband always thought it was a joke.. just some sort of mood you can snap out of.. something you CHOOSE to be in.. it's NOT!! I dont choose to cry for hours on end for absolutly no reason.. Id' MUCH rather play with my daughter, or listen to music, or rip my hair out for that matter, but there are times, and often that I can't help it... as much as I want to..as hard as I try.. I can't.. and then there are other days where I'm on top of the world and nothing can touch me (of course those are few and far between, but they are there) But I was made this way for a reason... I have dreams to study chemical imbalances in the brain, for other reasons, but perhaps my drive for this is BECAUSE of my own imbalance? I firmly believe everything happenes for a reason... It's a bit off topic, but I'll give you an example.. I didn't meet my father until I was 11 years old... the next year my parents got married, when I was 14 my father Died of lung cancer.. I hated him, and I hated God for teasing me with a father.. My father... I always wanted him in my life.. I wanted him to go to my graduation, and walk me down the aile, and see his grandchildren... anyways, life happened while I was hurting, and I moved away from my family (which would have NEVER happened had my father been alive) and in that time, I met my husband... now we have a child and I am doing things with my life I never imagined I could do.. now maybe it's not BECAUSE my dad died.. but I can say without a doubt that it would NOT have happened if he had lived. Wow.. Ok to make a long story short... you can't blame other people or other things for what you, o someone else does, Pills didn't make those people kill themselves... I hate to say it, but they chose to.. They felt they had nothing to live for.. I blame the parents more than the pills... You damn well better believe I would be on TOP of my childs feelings.. If that means they hate me then so be it.. the only thing that could ahve saved those children are the parents.. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that's how I believe... Anyone who relies on a pill for salvation is relying on false hopes... Just my opinion.

19. I'm a bit confused...

20. as incredibly innaporpriate as this is, i was thinking about if i killed myself how i'd do it tonight. so if anyone here is easily offended by me doing this, stop reading.

now, if in some time in the future i had to kill myself (for whatever reason) i though about it and i decided i'd get on I-95 late at night (like 1), blind fold myself, do a U-ee, turn off my lights, and floor it. it'd be crazy. i dunno, i have way too much i want to accomplish before i die though. guess im just an adreneline junky. first thing i did when i was 18 was sky dive, or at least thats what i said, i turned 18 before most of my friends so i have yet to find one of legal age that is willing to go with me.

and i was gonna make a thread on this presidence, but then i noticed this thread title before i had the chance...so you know. if someone wants to make a thready anyway...im too lazy