Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

kidney disease and transplants

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by PD Bagger, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Does any one else have kidney disease and is treating it with MMJ? I have had ESRD for 4 months, I used to be a smoker. The hospital that does the transplants will not let patients who test positive for MJ get transplants. I was wondering if this is common, and if there are any ways around it. I asked if I had a card if it was OK, still no. Their concern is not the usage - it has something to do with fungus.

When you get a transplant, they give you anti rejection drugs that basically make you AIDS like ie your immune system is worthless. They said that the fungus in soil (apparently all soil?) can kill you, and in their case, has killed 2 people already. I asked about hydroponic, they said they can't tell what the weed was grown in, so they can't say yes to it. I thought they were scientists.

The dialysis treatments I do suck ass, and the frequently hurt. I have insomnia (im typing and its 1am) and a very lost appetite. All these things would go away if they said yes. MMJ is a myth for me I guess.

2. You may find this blog post of interest:
    DANTE ROSS

Have you tested positive for cannabis at any point in your transplant journey?:confused:

3. Here's what I have on ORGAN TRANSPLANTS in the new Summer 2010 "Granny's List"

Fatal aspergillosis associated with smoking contaminated marijuana, in a marrow transplant recipient. (full - 1988)
    Fatal aspergillosis associated with smoking contaminated marijuana, in a marrow transplant recipient.

Exogenous lipid pneumonia related to smoking weed oil following cadaveric renal transplantation (abst, click for full- 2000)
    PubMed home

Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors in ischaemia–reperfusion injury and preconditioning (full - 2008)
    Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors in ischaemia

The debate about marijuana usage in transplant candidates: recent medical evidence on marijuana health effects. (abst - 2008)
    The debate about marijuana usage in transplant can... [Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2008] - PubMed result

Should Hepatitis C Patients Who Smoke Marijuana Be Eligible For Liver Transplants? (news - 2008)
    Should Hepatitis C Patients Who Smoke Marijuana Be Eligible For Liver Transplants?

Marijuana Use in Potential Liver Transplant Candidates. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Marijuana use in potential liver transplant candidates. Journal article abstract

Oregon hospitals denying life saving organ transplants to legal medical marijuana patients (news - 2010)
    Russ Belville: Oregon hospitals denying life saving organ transplants to legal medical marijuana patients

Hope that helps.

Granny

4. No I haven't tested positive for MJ, only because I temporarily stopped smoking a few months before I was diagnosed due to fertility tests my girl and I had scheduled. Well, lucky for me I stopped when I did, it seems I would be in bad shape for a transplant.

The poor girl in the video. That's horrible, I can't believe how silly laws are.

Granny, thanks for the reading material for my next dialysis treatment.

5. any news on the transplant and marijuana use.. had my second kidney transplant last july and have been looking for any material on smoking again. My dr. says he doesnt know of any direct effects from marijuana on a kidney. How you doin with dialysis..iw as on PD also

6. No Dr but it sounds like they are saying you can't smoke before getting the transplant as it could cause issues with the fungus but I don't think they mean after the operation and healing period. I think they are talking mold infested crops too and there mindset is stuck in old school mode they don't wanna believe things are different and that we DO know where our meds come from, with medical and is not coming from mexico etc.