kid in a probe

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by The_genius, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wasted my Turbo Cavalier today.
    I have a Turbo Cavalier, Stock 2200, 7psi, auto, Tuned with Megasquirt (I didn't tune the ECM, buddy of mine did)...it's undynoed, so I got no clue what it's pushing.

A FORD PROBE kicked my ass today. Straight kicked me ass and handed it back to me. I couldn't believe it! Especially when he said the motor was stock...pure stock.

then he informed that he had totally re-geared the transmission. Took it and had all new gears made, with a better ratio.

He luaghs, calls me a bolt on wonderboy, and just drives away.

Ego= done.

2. Ford Probe's actually arnt all that bad but most of them have major things wrong with them. That and your in an Auto Cavalier, not trying to be a dick but most Probes if running right will probably beat you.

3. The probe GT is actually running a 2.5L V6 Mazda engine. The thing is 164hp bone stock. Not the best looking car out there but a little more power than your 4 cyl.

4. yeah a probe is actually a pretty sweet car. it's just hard to get a good one now because kids beat the shit out of most of them.

5. heh, probe.

6. once again, if only the probe were rwd... it would be almost like a 240sx just domestic ha, even though they used jap engines.

7. yeah true. If they were rwd i'd get one and drop a 5.0 in it.

8. [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

= Title?????????????

9. a lot of times when people say "the motor is stock" they mean just that, however that has nothing to with if it has a turbo on it or not. oh and auto is a just a given that you lost. thats why i call it "slowmatic"

10. ive always thought they were very very very ugly.

but look at this!

[​IMG]

11. Im sorry op, but if you are trying to protect your ego, why did you turbo a cavalier?

12. stock, bro.

stock.

13. I can't wait till my all motor n/a build is done. I'll make a build thread soonish

14. I agree, with a name like The_genius you should have bought something that could at least beat a probe... im assuming this probe was pretty much stock besides gearing, regearing does wonders. Hell if you got beat by a probe i bet my mr2 will have a good run against your cav, might even beat it :devious:

15. some people choose automatic transmissions when it comes to FI.

16. #16 kanibal rabbit, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
    probes are pretty underrated. my mom wanted a sports car and we bought a 1990 gl when it was about 4 years old. it stayed in the family for about 10 years until it was passed down to my twin and he decided to get all fast and furious on the high mileage SOHC.

it managed to actually gain a bit of a reputation as it still killed all but one of the local hondas. lost by half a length to a turbo prelude. which doesnt say much about the street racers around here.:p
    the only photo I have is of a photo shopped version of the car. the body kit, wheels, tint and tail lights are all fake. the spoiler was real form an old gto judge it was attached to a 68 charger I bought from a redneck car dealer. I was just farting around when I put it on there but it ended up matching the lines of the car perfectly so it stayed there until the car was run into the ground.
    [​IMG]

the probe was initially meant to replace the mustang. instead of actually building the car they turned to the mazda 626 and mx6, re skinned them and slapped the blue oval on them. unfortunately they replaced the internals of the motor making them weaker than their jap counterparts. however you can still get the mazda FE3 engine off ebay for cheap and swap it in with minimal effort, you'll end up with the base for building a pretty fast car.

fallguy is a hero in the probe community for building probzilla and bringing some recognition to the probes abilities at a time when probes had almost 0 aftermarket parts available.

I think he was about $6000 into it at this point.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sdofnouZk"]YouTube - ‪Fallguy runs 11.66 with 401whp fe3t 1st gen probe‬‎[/ame]

and these days its a RWD toyota powered monster with gobs and gobs of horsepower.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkuHZkyk-c&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪Fallguy 8.92 @ 147 mph‬‎[/ame]

17. 1st vid: :(
    2nd vid: :D

gotta love the jz motors in... anything.

18. he's actually improved on his time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4EUYnk1VY&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Probezilla 8.18 @ 169‬‎[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaaNemryS7U&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Probezilla Walk- around.‬‎[/ame]
    the first gen in black in one sick ass car.

also they had a modified version of the 89 in back to the future 2.

Ford Probe - Futurepedia - The Back to the Future Wiki

just think, in four years were going to be wearing those clothes and every things gonna look like that.:smoking:

19. haha, i think i saw North Dakota plates on that probe... probably the only jz'd domestic in that state lol.

20. Why did I pick a cavalier? Let's review the options

Honda....they are like tampons. Every pussy has one.

Mazda....Love me a mazda, but I can't afford the mazda, and the ones I can afford (Older Miata, I'm 6'2" and can't fit in the cockpit). Plus if you find a good 5spd, some kid has probably beat it up

Mitsubishi....I like a Mitsu alright, but they aren't hard-core performance geared enough for my taste. The eclipse is too heavy, and the Lancer is WAY out of my price range.

Nissan....I'm half and half with a nissan. I like their cars, I don't like their bodies. The 350z is alright, and the 370z is hideous. When you compare the fairlady to the older bodylines of the 60's and 70's, it leave much to be desired. The new sentra makes me vomit, and you'd be hard pressed to find an altima or Maxima in a 5spd

Ford....I'm like fords lately. ever since 2000+ they've been starting to build some really nice cars. the Focus SVT is just stunning in my book, but out of my price range. Only thing I didn't like about the probe was that it had pop-up headlights...and I'm not into that. Other than it's sport subcompact...for doesn't really make another car with a 5spd...they are all luxury oriented cars, like the taurus, fusion, Vic, blah blah

Volkswagon....Great cars, Great Reliability, Great performance, Great pricetag should something break

...don't even get me started on BMW or Audi

Dodge....I'd never own a Neon aside from the SRT-4. I'd never own an avenger, and the stealth isn't a dodge. It's a mitsu.

Chevy....Cavalier...my car. Why the Cavalier? First and foremost, it's a hand-me-down. It doesn't have the Ecotec. Instead it's a 2200, with a Turbonetics T3 Super 60 .48ar on 8lbs. The motor is stock in that the internals are bone stock, with Ford Green Top Injectors, a good tune, it's dynoed at only 186 HP at 4500rpms, but it's a nice car.
    And why do I keep it? I guess I like the Curves. Not too many cars these days are nothing but curves...you'd be hard pressed to find a straight line on the car.

Does it weigh 3400lbs? Yes...heavy Chevy
    Does it have Tokico D specs on Eibach prolines? Yes...I like mountains
    Does it have 2.75" exaust all the way back, with a high flow cat, 22" Resonator, and Dynomax muffler? ....yes
    Do I ever have to worry about blowing shit up? No, I'm boosting high enough to worry about destroying my IRON BLOCK
    Are my horspower number with a turbo the highest? No...but it's a drivers car...

There I said it. The car wasnt built to straight line race. I'm not pushing high enough numbers for that, but being heavy like it is, and with a 1.75" drop over stock with a wonderful suspension....it'll handle, and it handle well.
    I don't outpower Hondas....I outdrive them.

The car is a Daily Driver with a sport suspension, and a little pick-me-up. It's not super fast, but it's got a good sound system, good suspension, good turbo, good tune, good exaust note, comfy seats, airbags, and cold air....what more could a genius ask for?

Why did I pick the cavalier? BECAUSE I LIKE IT!

-The Genius