Kevorkian and the Right to Die

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mist425, Jun 3, 2011.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/us/04kevorkian.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

Jack Kevorkian died today in Detroit. For those who may not know, Kevorkian was an advocate of a terminally ill patient's right to die via assisted suicide. Kevorkian would administer two drugs to the willing patient - one to sedate them, the other to paralyze the heart, killing them. He carried out over 100 of these procedures for individuals throughout the nation and was brought to court for it a handful of times. In a 1999 case he made a self-described "arrogant" move and defended himself, lost, and was sent to prison for 8 years.

Apparently the guy was lampooned as "Dr. Death" for his activities, as if he were some nut, a semi-psychopath. However, I think the evidence strongly indicates that he was really very passionate about what he believed was a right of patients that the medical profession was ignoring because it was an uncomfortable subject to broach.

Here's a telling excerpt from the article:

"He also talked about the “doctrine” he had developed to achieve two goals: ensuring the patient's comfort and protecting himself against criminal conviction in a court of law. He required patients to clearly express a wish to die. Family physicians and mental health professionals were exhaustively consulted. At least a month was needed to give patients time to consider and change their minds."

It's my personal opinion that he was a pretty great guy, and I believe that all patients should have such a right, provided they go through the necessary evaluations to determine they are fit to make such a decision (as Kevorkian's methods seem to have accomplished).

What do you guys think?

:bongin:

2. I have the inherent human right to do with my body as I damn well please, and no man made law in the universe will tell me otherwise.

Give the ability for someone to kill themselves in whatever way they want, just make sure they "pull the switch" themselves, and if they can't, be a pal and do it for them!

• Like Like x 1
  3. the people clearly wanted to die, and he accommodated them. I'm prety sure he didn't accept any payments at all.. but i could be wrong.

whether or not he should have gone to jail? I don't think so.. but that's not for me to decide.

4. It's really not for anyone to decide. People just want to mind other people's business cause their own isn't worth minding..

(not a post against you or anything like that, just a statement :D)

5. Seemed like a stand up decent guy to me...
    I would support anyones right to end their life...

Funny how a country that has no problem dropping bombs from remote controlled planes on villages thousands of miles away sends a guy who helps people who want to die to prison...:confused:

6. He seemed like a good guy to me.

Euthanasia should be about ending suffering. Kevorkian just made it easier for people in pain to end their suffering. I also think the method he used to make sure these people really wanted to die was reasonable.

7. Yep...and he NEVER assisted anyone to commit suicide due to mental issues...
    They were all suffering from terminal illness or conditions that were unbearable to live with any longer...

I went through depression and even was having suicidal thoughts due to all the pain that had lasted for 6+years :eek:...only after the 'Practical Nurse' monitoring my mental health mentioned that it seemed like my problems stemmed from pain, and if I could get THAT under control, or get periodic relief, I would most likely get better...and once my Primary Dr heard that, and worked on pain management..I was back to my normal self after a month of having relief from pain and suffering. (still have the conditions, but get relief now...pain can cause people to seek release if there is no other option...just my opinion)

Dr K was a true Dr, interested in the well being of the patient, even if it meant assisting the patient one last time...while risking prison for doing so.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good for him.

Not the dying part, the other stuff he did.

9. Goodnight, Dr. Kevorkian. :(

10. RIP Jack.

I've been on his side for as long as I can remember. Having studied ALS, I know it's a horrible disease to suffer through. I can't believe he went to jail. Why am I never on a jury?

11. i know right..registered voter for 17 years...never called :(

i think the guy did more than anybody in our lifetimes to champion the death with dignity cause.

12. I completely agree with the right to die. And judging from all the posts and people I've talked to before about the right to die, it seems most people agree with it.

If a person is terminally ill it just seems like common sense that they should have the right to end their suffering.

• Like Like x 1

13. I was being called in almost yearly, up until one instance that I was in the interviewed group...and made a statement (paraphrased) "...laws, trials, and the courts today rarely serve real justice due to a corrupted judicial system...money buys verdicts..."

judge cautioned me that I was on thin ice, lawyers on both sides said that was uncalled for and insulting, and I shot back that a person only has to look at the news, read a paper to see what I said was TRUE...judge frowned, said nothing, made a note on some tablet he had, asked the lawyers to proceed, I was dismissed, and have never been called in for jury duty since...:D

• Like Like x 1

14. well be comforted in knowing that the opinions of the majority of 'We The People' mean nothing, and DC will tell us right from wrong...after all DC knows whats best for us all huh...how to bank, how to wage war, how to be healthy, how to raise our kids, how and when to die...ya...don't ya feel the love wafting from DC...(that stench, like a herd of cattle is near...):devious:

15. I found myself disgusted with Rush's commentary on the good Dr. yesterday. Referring to this man as "Dr. Death" is a perversion brought on by extreme ignorance and a delusional understanding (or lack thereof) of the human condition. History will find itself on the side of Jack Kevorkian. From his work in organ donation, to his end of life services, to his work in his latter years fighting for the 9th and 10th amendments, Jack was a man of great principle and intellect to match. This is a sad day indeed for us all.

RIP

• Like Like x 1

16. Found your problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. indeed, but i was 200 ft in the air painting a water tank... am radio onry...

18. i would have been tempted to save myself the agony and jump :D

19. workman's comp guarantees me at least 1.5 mil if i live haha... temptations are everywhere