Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Earth Ling, Jun 25, 2013.

1. #1 Earth Ling, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
    This evidence alone debunks the 'human species over-population ''theory

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/02/09/kepler-space-telescope-finds-billions-of-earth-like-plants-near-earth

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/02/09/kepler-space-telescope-finds-billions-of-earth-like-plants-near-earth

A recent study soon to be published in The Astrophysical Journal, based upon analysis of data taken from NASA's Kepler Space Telescope, has found that our Milky Way Galaxy could be host to over 4 billion Earth like planets.  Kepler is a space observatory launched by NASA to discover Earth like planets that are orbiting other stars. Scientists studied the tremendous amount of red dwarf stars in our galaxy and determined that 6 percent of the 75 billion of them would have Earth like planets, that's about 4.5 billion Earths. Red dwarves range from less than half to 7.5 percent of the mass of the sun. They put out between 10 percent and 1/10000 the energy of the sun. Scientists estimate that these planets are approximately 13 light years away, with one light year is equal to six trillion miles. This was surprising to scientists because 13 light years is considered to be very close, kind of like a cosmic backyard.

2. "Kepler finds" and Kepler estimates are totally different things.
    Also, are you saying in our galaxy is 'near Earth'? Because I disagree.

3. Awsome

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. How does this debunk an over population myth?

We found similar planets that we can't get to....... Until we can get to these planets we still need to be wary of over population, once we can get to these planets, then we can go be the parasites of the universe we were designed to be.

Cool story though

5. 13 light years is practically a walk in the park

6. you fucking humans better watch out this is how we welcome unwanted visitors on our planet

[​IMG]    [​IMG]

Over population says that humans are being over populated. So with this info and the many planets around us debunks that myth. Once humans finally get there shit together, their will be a greater chance of space travel. This little story is not what convinced ,me of the over population myth. The planets and moons around do. Its just that humans are barely coming out of the caves and jungles , so this type of stuff is not in there mind sets yet. Soon push will be become shove,,,,,

We will be in the near future(100 years?) pushing the limit of the resources on this planet. You seem to imply that we will out of necessity develop space travel and while I would agree that it is a good possibility I would also cautiously state that just because you want or need something doesn't mean you'll get it. In the mean time we should be quite wary of how populated our planet will become soon as people exponentially multiply. My point was that it isn't a myth if we can't get too far off this planet.

9. cool, now all we have to do is learn to travel at the speed of light or develop transporting wormholes

10. SSSooooo..somebody setting out soon for one of those?  :bongin:

I strongly disagree with this statement lol.

That means that at the speed of light, which is unachievable as we understand the laws of physics, it would be a 13 year one way journey at the very best.

It would take an entire generation to mount an expedition that distance and back. And thats barely taking a step outside your front door on a galactic scale.

Bottom line we have to find a way to travel exponentially faster then the speed of light, in such a way that allows us to circumvent relativistic time dilation effects, in order to have any shot at colonizing even a small fraction of our galaxy.

Not something we are anywhere close to technologically, unfortunately.

On the bright side, Mars might offer a nice option for colonization alot closer to home, where relatively quick trips could be made using theoretical propulsion systems that might offer 1/10th the speed of light(matter/antimatter rocket or nuclear fusion drive, for example). Would likely need to terraform it though.

12. It'll be a 10 minute ride once the jump to hyper space is made

13. Bottom line is we need to make distance irrelevent.

Even at double the speed of light intergalactic travel is absurd

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app