Kentucky SB 129: Gatewood Galbraith Memorial Medical Marijuana Act.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by PharmerPhara, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Kentucky state senator Perry Clark introduced KY senate bill 129, The Gatewood Galbraith Memorial Medical Marijuana Act, to the state senate floor on January 31st. It was due to be referred to to the KY senate judiciary committee on Feb. 2nd 2012. :smoke:

THE TIME TO CONTACT YOUR KY STATE SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES IS NOW!!!!! :poke:

The full text of the bill can be downloaded from the KY legislature's website HERE.

The bill will see marijuana rescheduled to Schedule II of the KY Cabinet for Health and Family Services regulations for controlled substances. Here is an excerpt of the most pertinent parts of the bill:

SECTION 3. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 218A IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:

(1)\tThe inclusion of marijuana as a Schedule II controlled substance under Section 2 of this Act shall not authorize the cumulative possession of more than five (5) ounces of marijuana over a one (1) month period by the person for whom the marijuana has been prescribed.

(2)\tA person for whom marijuana has been prescribed may cultivate and possess at any point in time five (5) or fewer marijuana plants for that person's own medicinal use. A plant authorized under this section shall not be subject to the tax established in KRS Chapter 138.

SECTION 4. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 315 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:

(1)\tThe board shall by administrative regulation create a supplemental certification program authorizing a pharmacy to distribute marijuana to a person for whom that drug has been lawfully prescribed. No pharmacy may distribute marijuana unless it has been issued and holds this supplemental certificate.

(2)\tThe board shall require that a pharmacy seeking a certificate under this section meet any reasonable requirement the board establishes by administrative regulation for the safe and secure dispensing of the drug. Among these requirements, the board shall require that each dispensing location be physically located in Kentucky and that the drug be dispensed in person directly to the person for whom the drug has been prescribed.

Section 5. This Act shall be known and may be cited as the Gatewood Galbraith Memorial Medical Marijuana Act.

2. Sick. Hopefully it will get the support it needs in Kentucky.

3. #3 pearl75, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    My heart leapt as I read the title of your thread. Then it sank as images of Mitch McConnell kept flashing in my mind. I hate that sob.

We have got to fight back!!

Please, Kentucky residents, I implore you. Please, write to your reps and tell them our state needs this. Send them copies of Granny's list. Remind them of the recent Gallup poll that shows that the majority of the country is in favor of this law. There are new cannabis bills being drafted and sent before our reps now more than ever before. The iron is hot, and it is time to strike!

4. Bumping this! People, tell your friends about this!

5. Y'all need to read this. I hope that's a typo. If not, they are proposing that the patient may not possess more than 5 grams a month. That needs to read 5 ounces. We all may want to mention that in our letters to our reps. If it really is meant to be read 5 grams a month, then this needs to be amended.

edit: Also, I posted the link to this thread in the Kentucky Tokers thread. I'm hoping that will get a lot of Ky. smokers' attention. And Pass It On To Everyone You Know, Kentuckians!

6. #6 pearl75, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    PETITION 2 CONGRESS!!

The Gatewood Galbraith Medical Marijuana Act of 2012 | Petition2Congress

This is what I sent to Barack Obama, Mitch McConnell, Ed Whitfield, and Rand Paul.

February 5, 2012

Dear President Obama:
    Dear Representative Whitfield:
    Dear Senator McConnell:
    Dear Senator Paul:

There has been much research and evidence which can dictate the need FOR "Medical Marijuana/Cannabis" in Kentucky (as well as everywhere else...).

There has been a large number of Citizen's who have advocated for this and since you represent the Citizen's of Kentucky you must feel obliged to fight for their rights.

We are imploring your help on this issue!

Please vote YES!

"WE AS CITIZENS OF KENTUCKY EXPECT YOU TO VOTE YES ON (D) PERRY CLARK'S SB129 !!!The time for this is long over due. The most recent Gallup poll proves that the rest of the country agrees. Anyone who doubts the legitimacy of medical cannabis, I urge you to type GrannyStormCrow in your search engine, and read her list! You might be amazed by what you discover. And she updates it frequently.

Sincerely,

7. #7 PharmerPhara, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    Thanks for finding that petition Pearl!!!

Mitch McConnell will have nothing to do with this as he is our FEDERAL senator. This is a state issue, so be sure you contact your Kentucky STATE officials and not the federal senators and representatives.

Kentuckians, you can find out who your district senators and reps are HERE.

It is 5 OUNCES. There are some articles out there that misquote the bill saying 5 grams, but the part of the bill I posted was directly from the KY state legislature's current session listing on their official website.

Personally, I think it should be more like 8 ounces a month (even though I doubt I would ever need that much for my medical issues, some people may) and up to 10 plants -OR- no more than 5 plants actively flowering at one time. That way people can have grows in limited spaces with better success and fewer "dry spells" between harvests, but hey I'll take what I can get. We can always work for amendments later. :smoke:

8. #8 xdog, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    The one I read from the link above added a Section 3 which allowed 5 ounces per month and up to 5 plants. Obviously 5 g won't go too far.

9. Signed and letter sent, posted on my facebook, and told closest friends to sign. Let's get this passed.

10. Yeah, I'm posting it all over Google+, too.

11. This is awesome

12. Signed and posted to facebook to spread the word!! I really hope this passes its been way overdue

13. Is anyone concerned about the use of the term "prescribed" in this proposed legislation?

I skimmed the entire draft bill. Most of it seems to relate to removing marijuana from Kentucky's schedule I and placing it in Kentucky's schedule II.

I do not see anything that amends KY law to provide a defense for individuals possessing or consuming marijuana for medical purposes.

Regardless of whether Kentucky can reschedule marijuana within its state schedules, the status of marijuana as a Schedule I substance will prevent physicians from prescribing it to patients.

It wouldn't be the first time that states have enacted legislation allowing for marijuana to be prescribed by physicians, only to find that the law has no practical application due to the federal classification of the drug.

:confused:

14. If this bill passes, and cannabis is rescheduled, doctors will be able to prescribe it. The way it read to me, they are trying to work it out so that actual pharmacies can carry mmj. I don't know that though. That's just the way I read it.

15. Yes if this bill passes, AND cannabis is rescheduled federally, then Kentucky physicians will be able to prescribe it.

The DEA will prosecute any physician that attempts to prescribe a Schedule I drug. They will lose their license. No one will write prescriptions for cannabis in KY as long as it is still on Schedule I of the CSA.

16. Remember guys, this is a state law. You need to mail your local representatives, not national. Bitch McConnell and Rand Paul will not have any influence on if this passes or not.

I'm very hopeful, I have family members that could really benefit from this law.

17. That is exactly what killed Az's older bill. The bill itself passed, the State declared it illegal for a Dr. to prescribe. :smoke:

18. Yeah, I caught that after I found the Petition2Congress thing. I wonder why that was made then? But if any of you think for a second that Mitch McConnell won't have influence on this behind the scenes, you better guess again.

19. thats the way i read it too. I'm a pharmacy technician so if we're reading it correctly, my job could become very interesting haha

20. Good luck Kentucky! hope yall pull the rest of us sutherners along. Fast horses, loose women, good whiskey and medical cannabis, that's would be a happening state :hello:

Also, could someone please toke up John Calipari and a few of his players before the NCAA tourney this year? we in Carolina would like em to chill out :rolleyes: