kelp meal, fish meal, alfalfa meal?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by starcecil, Jun 22, 2012.

1. #1 starcecil, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
    So I'm kind of new to growing wheat grass but have opted for growing it on a cocomat as I've had previous success with other plants using the coco fibers that come compressed in bricks.

I have some Gempler Compost Maker which lists the ingredients as kelp meal, fish meal, alfalfa meal. could this work? temporarily. Compost Maker - GEMPLER'S I've read most people who grow wheat grass opt for a kelp meal or kelp extractive.

I have some Fox Farms Grow Big and Tiger Bloom which claims to have trace minerals however I don't think it's organic. I'm kind of a noob in general to gardening and don't know if the grow big could work in the mean time. I was thinking in a really diluted solution i'd soak the mat in or water with

Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

2. [quote name='"starcecil"']So I'm kind of new to growing wheat grass but have opted for growing it on a cocomat as I've had previous success with other plants using the coco fibers that come compressed in bricks.

I have some Gempler Compost Maker which lists the ingredients as kelp meal, fish meal, alfalfa meal. could this work? temporarily. Compost Maker - GEMPLER'S I've read most people who grow wheat grass opt for a kelp meal or kelp extractive.

I have some Fox Farms Grow Big and Tiger Bloom which claims to have trace minerals however I don't think it's organic. I'm kind of a noob in general to gardening and don't know if the grow big could work in the mean time. I was thinking in a really diluted solution i'd soak the mat in or water with

Any tips or advice is much appreciated.[/quote]

Tiger bloom no, way to much salt.

And honestly meng id mix that coco with some peat moss. You want a good CeC, and peats is better then coco.

That starter mix sounds solid, but your missing compost. Either cow/horse/chicken manure, compost, earthworm casting are the gold standard though. That's really important in organics, the compost is where you get your microbes from and that's the key in all of this.

Float around the Organic Growing section here, just because we use it for cannabis doesn't mean the same soil mixes wont work for other plants. In fact Jerry uses his mix in everything.

Also if you want to increase your book learning's check out my Gardening Books FTW thread.

I suggest the Soil Biology Primer to start.

HTH & Stay Organic!!!

HaGGarD