Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Keif butter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Andrewcoona, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Hey, so I made some keif butter last night for the first time. I used one pound of butter and approximately 3 grams of keif. I decarbed the keif in the oven for about 20mins on 250f. I never had any foil or a lid so it was uncovered. I added it to the melted butter and stirred it in for 5-10 mins. I poured it into glass containers while filtering it with coffee filters. There seemed to be a fair bit of sediment at the bottom. So I’m wondering if this is normal?? I thought the keif would completely dissolve ? Any thoughts are appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Looks normal to me, that sediment is what I and many others call, plant matter.

Feel free to take that puck of butter, flip it upside and scrape it off. Or use it in the cook! No worries

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Well I didn’t put the sediment in the butter I strained it out with the coffee filter. That’s why I’m wondering if all the potency will be lost

4. I filtered all the sediment out with the coffee filter. That’s why I’m wondering if the butter lost all the potency by leaving that out?

5. Try a little.

I'm no expert so I'm not sure how long it takes decarbed material, set in melted butter, for the thca to bind to the butter.

I would think it worked.

6. Yea I’ll try some tonight and find out. Thanks

7. That butter will be weak.
    Assuming 40% thc in the kief, which is probably high,
    THC = 0.4*(3000 mg) = 1200 mg
    Volume = 473 mL
    Potency = THC/Volume = (1200 mg THC)/(473 mL) = 2.5 mgTHC/mL
    In real life inefficiencies reduce this to 1-2 mg/mL.

To get one standard (but too weak for many of us) 10 mg dose would require ingesting 4 mL = 1 1/3 tsp

In the future, consider making unstrained coconut oil, which uses 100% of the thc, instead of strained butter, which is typically 30-80% efficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks! It was keif that I had kicking around so there’s not much loss. But I’ll find out now soon when I try it. I’m not that use to edibles so we’ll see lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. I should be able to try it on a cracker I guess? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah.
    Or warm up a piece of bread, erm.. make toast, smear butter on it, sprinkle this on it.

Note: must be that product or if you simply use...
    Some sugar, and some cinnamon, TASTE IS NOT THE SAME. Image (5).jpg

11. Lol I haven’t had cinnamon toast In a long time

12. You can thin a very strong infused oil easy enough.
    A very weak oil is kind of a useless thing. In my case I'd need to eat several tablespoons of that oil to catch a buzz.

Try this recipe next time.
    Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes

5 grams decarbed Kief-Hash-Concentrate-Powdered Buds
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil (any cooking oil works)
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin (any kind)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.

If you used Kief start with 1 drop
    If you used powdered buds 3 drops.

You'd have ended up with a tablespoon of very potent oil
    Instead you have a pound of ehhhh butter.

3 grams of kief = 1500 mg of THC in the full pound of butter.
    46mg THC per tablespoon of butter.
    15mg THC per teaspoon.
    BNW