Keeping rockwool moist?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr.NiceGuy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I have a really quick question about the rockwool i am using in my bubble bucket set up. Currently have 130watts on a 11 day old plant from seed.

The rockwool dries out every once in a while my question is am i suppose to keep the rockwool somewhat moist throughout my grow?

Also my two bottom leaves are starting to turn yellow, and my other leaves are getting brown spots on them what is this from?

I havent used nutes except superthrive
    lights on 20/4
    temps are kinda hot in the low 80's upper 70's
    humidity is between 25-35%
    PH is around 5 dont know exactly cause i just have a color ph kit

Another questions can you over water a hydro system?

2. I'm also interested if you can over water a DWC system, particularly as it pertains to the roots. And as for rockwool kept moist, the moisture from the bubbles keeps mine ok, remember it only needs to stay wet until the roots drop.

3. Right I have a root tip coming out of the net pot right now.

Another question i have is do ya'll keep the air pump on during light off hours or do you turn it off with the lights?

4. I believe you should get a Digital Ph tester to be absolutely sure of your ph...just because Hydroponic systems require a more accurate reading to determine the PH.....a ph of 5 is to low..even for a hydro system...5.0 is to acidic which intern will lock out nutes which is why your leafs are turning yellow....Im pretty sure the prober ph for a Hydro system is 5.8 to 6.5...hope this helped :D

5. At the moment i'm using rockwool. I just have a dripper direct into the rockwool, so the rockwool is soaking 24/7. I prefer to keep the rockwool soaked, but i'm not sure if its ok to let it dry out. You can turn of the pumps at the same time you shut the lights.

6. Yeah i havent given it any nutes except super thrive and i'm using distilled water if that makes a difference

7. woah yeah it does...Distilled water has virtually no Dissolved solids AKA (Nutrients)....and on top of that your not using Any nutes..no wonder ur plants are turning yellow..I am using spring water..better than tap or purified...you should do the same and invest in a Digital PH tester..its imperative to kepp ur Ph stable when growing with hydro system....got any pics of ur setup? :D

8. I take it you are not using an airstone? Yes, you can over-water a DWC system. If the plant roots are sitting in water that is not being oxygenated, that's exactly what happens. You will find that by using an airstone (or two), the bubbles will pop at the surface, keeping your rockwool moist. And once the roots grow through the net pot and into the water, watch out....you will have an explosion of growth. It is amazing!! I suggest you add one or two, it will be worth the small expense of a couple of stones and a pump. Having oxygenated water will help keep your Ph in balance better too. Invest in a good Ph meter, its a necessity with hydro.