Keeping Mother Plants~Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bogie420, Jan 26, 2010.

1. First of all I grow hydro in bubble buckets, and Have just made my first seed purchase. I would like to grow a mother from each strain that I am going to have but know nothing about soil. My questions are:
    What type of soil should i use for the mother plants?
    Should I use straight soil or a mixture of soil and perlite?
    Do I use nutes other than what the soil contains to feed with, or do i feed at all?
    What size pots should I keep my mothers in?

Any help with these questions will be appreciated :)

2. Pot size....bigger is better for keeping a mature plant. 5 gallons is good. I start with small rooting pots, then replant the whole pot into a larger peat pot (I don't disturb the roots that way) and then the larger peat pot into a final container when the roots show at the bottom.
    Soil....I use Miracle-Gro, and start supplementing nutrients at 3 weeks, 1/4 strength, and get it to full strength over 2-3 weeks. I use Miracle-Gro there too. Prepared potting soil has perlite and nutrients.

Submitted for your approval,
    Tyg

3. +1 for Bonsai moms.
    Being realistic, you could have 2-3 mothers in 4 inch planters, in a PC case under 24/0 cfl lighting and see results like are mentioned in the thread linked above. Where every 2-3 weeks you could potentially take 10-20 cuttings from the 3 mothers.

A bonsai mother can be kept to about 8 inches in height which if you're tight on space, works great.

I am planning to run 2 pc's. 1 mother/veg chamber which will carry 2 bonsai's and my clones as they grow their roots for the first few days before going into PC 2 which will be my sog case in gatorade bottles. We're only 1 week into establishing the system at the moment.