Keeping males

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ATZag135, Jan 16, 2010.

1. My question is simple, why wouldnt you keep males in order to ensure you get seeds? If you used non-hybrid seeds and keep all plants going, male and female, wouldnt you end up with a seedy end product that you could then use the seeds again the following grow?

I know that a hybrid plant will grow alot smoother and easier, but lets face it we grow to save some cash, and the best way to save is to produce your own seeds, and after the first grow when you get 1000 seeds you can save them for a few years, and have the next few grows with females only.

Or maybe seperate a male and a female to make seeds and keep the rest of the females alone so you can have a bit of both worlds?

Im looking at growing 6-8 plants, and the thought of saving my seeds just makes sence.

Any idea?

2. Even if you want seeds, you probably don't want all of your females to have all seedy bud. Instead, you can grow out the males to the point they are ready and then harvest some pollen, then destroy the males. Then you can selectively hand-pollinate exactly which female plants, which buds, for how much seediness you need/want.

3. Why not just clone instead? It is not a hard process, and I think it can be hard to control pollen when your breeding.

And then with cloning you can get a mother set up and ensure you get females every time, plus it would go faster.