Keep the smell through drying........

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Quiller, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Leave those "odorless" buds on your dresser and then go out for the day. You should be surprised to find that you were noseblind at the time because i bet they stink your whole house up

2. Alright fellas, the statement above about oils seeping from branches into the buds is an old myth that is very not true. Im not coming to argue or start any drama but that is 100% false.
    I read your comments and i see that you guys are jarring your buds way way way toooo soon. Someone said they had bendy stems while in the jar and thats way to moist to put into a jar and if you do that it will kill the pretty smell. This is the way I get good stanky buds.

Step 1: be prepared before you harvest.
    Meaning have your space set at the right humidity and temp ready for your hard work to finish. Proper temps are 67-71 ish
    With 55% humidity. you dont need fans blowing on the buds during drying.

Step 2: cut the plant at its base if you can.
    Before i cut them down I cut the biggest fan leaves off and i leave all the smaller leaves on the entire plant. Then at the base of the stalk chop her down and hang her upside down. If you have multiple plants give each plant a little room between them.

Step 3: monitor the rh and temp. Its cruise control right now just pay attention and make sure you environment stays correct for 14 days. If your environment is set up properly then there wont be much difference between them hanging or being in a jar and this way they will get fully properly dried out. Go to a small/medium sized bud and bend it and see If it snaps off. At 14 days it should snap off and be ready for curing.

Step 4: dry trim and jar.
    Carefully gently cut all the buds off the plant and dont try to keep the buds super big. Gently trim them all up and After trimming the sugar leaves off go ahead and gently load the buds up in mason jars leaving about 30% of the jar empty for air to continue the process of breaking down chlorophyll. The cure needs fresh air to continue the process.

Step 5: burp your jars during the cure.
    The cure is super important for smell and taste. The cure isnt just drying your buds until theyre smokeable. The cure process is breaking down chlorophyll and carbs and converting cannabinoids over time into thc. This process is slow and tedious and it takes time and there arent ways to cheat it. So you'll want to burp you jars every 4-5 hours for the first week and then burp them once or twice a day for the second week and then burp them once a day or once every other day for the 3rd week and for the fourth week you can open it whenever youre feeling like it and then it wont need burped again cause at this point Itll be good for long term storage cause it will have properly been dried and burped and you will end up with that stank you want.

I highly recommend getting the small hygrometers that will fit inside the jars. It makes it alot easier to tell if youre too dry or too wet inside the jar. If you end up too dry dont panic its ok. Go to Amazon and look for 58% or 62% boveda RH humidpacks. There are a few different brands and they'll say 2 way humidpacks but thats not really true. If youre too wet dont use one of these cause it wont remove the moisture properly. If youre too wet take buds out and place them somewhere spread out for an hour until the outside feels crispy dry again and then rejar it. They work if youre too dry tho. it will put moisture back into the jar if youre too dry. 55% to 60% relative humidity is what you want in the jars during the cure and around 65°-68°f stored somewhere dark because light deteriorates trichomes.

This being said, people do these things alot of different ways with varying success so you might need to try a few techniques before you find your groove but this is my groove.