Keep the smell through drying........

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Quiller, Sep 8, 2010.

1. #41 5Jperday, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011

Yea man i think we are getting somewhere. I know someone who grew some outdoor this year and he has like 65% humidity in his house. and temps are low. Hid bud took like 8 days to dry only just getting crispy on outside on the smaller buds. And it still smelt like pretty dank bud. Normally for me by then, the aroma is all on the inside, or hardly on the outside of the bud. And this was bud that was 3 weeks+ to early, mainly popcorn fluff.

Im beginning to think maybe it was the cool temps.

And about my next harvest, ive got a little 2x1.5 pineapple express + strawberry haze Scrog gonna start flower in the next 7 days so maybe 9ish weeks.

I thought that if your curing it you still wanted a bit of moisture in the stem, bendiness?

do you dry till completely crispy stems snappy, then jar them, and it stinks the whole time?

2. Wow, a lot of misinformation on this thread...

[quote name='"ChiefsitanChief"']Here is the secret to have that "smell it while in your pocket" stinch cut the plant at the base right before the roots and hang the whole thing, its the oils in the branches, and trunk that oozes into the bud and slowing moistens the bud during cure instead of the little oil it gets just from twigs, thats why you have to squeeze to smell, its not that much oil, see what I mean. So your bud gets the initial processed food/sugar to dry but the unprocessed food the thick stinky oil in the trunk drains into the gut of the bud which is why it takes a while to lightly moisten the bud because its so thick. There you go (try this when harvesting cut a piece of the trunk cut it open and smell.[/quote]

This is a wives tale. The only truth in your statment is hangig the buds upside down on the plant as a whole will slow down the drying time of the buds. The reason is because of the water on the stems takes longer to evaporate. Sorry but there is no sticky oil being drained into the buds...all of the terpenes and oils are already in the bud.

[quote name='"mephy1"']It'll come back during curing while the compounds inside the plant break down slowly it will release the smell again.[/quote]

Wrong, when dried to fast no matter how long you cure the smell will never be the same, maybe slightly smelly.

[quote name='"lichking22"']

you not going to want to finish the drying process until the stem is snaps. you dont want any bending[/quote]

Incorrect. Many people put buds in jars when the outsides get crispy to den out the moisture. If you wait until the stem snaps the buds can end up being too dry, but depends o. The strain and your drying conditions.

[quote name='"let it play"']it will come back while curing[/QUOTE

Wrong.

[quote name='"cowboysaxman"']Cure it in glass and it'll end up smellin' like a diesel fuel depot:D:smoke:[/quote]

Again, when you dry too fast there is nothing you can do to get that dank smell back. It will ne there when u grind up the buds, but ideally marijuana need 2 weeks to dry in order for all chlorophyll to evaporate, then the jars is what converts the starches into sugars, not hanging it upside.

Temperatures and humidity are super important while drying your buds. You can't just hang them up somewhere dark and hope it will retains it's smell.

Slow your dry time down to 10-14 days and your smell will never disappear, simply get a little less pungent until put in jars

• Like Like x 1
  3. [quote name='"5Jperday"']

but even then, i dont see how these people with no experience and putting no effort into research or anything end up with a fat sack of dank stinky bud.

let us know if u figure it out[/quote]

they got lucky with temps and humidity, dried there buds slowly in cool dark temps...your overthinking this wayyy to much. Just slow down your dry time, how else am I supposed to say it?

4. i'm harvesting in a month.. you better be right! lol

There is just too much emphasis on curing. U see the popular tips are "drying til stems start to snap", "long cure brings out the flavor", "burp the jars, til rH reaches 65%"....

Would anyone know the ideal temp and humidity when drying?

But I'm sure there are lota growers that harvest in summer and dry in warmer temps, and still get their buds to smell.

5. going to chop mine on wednesday, at night with the lights off it says its at 14% humidity in my closet says its lowest point is 15% during lights off(thats with exuast fan and circulation fan going) now im sure it will rise with the exuast fan off but should i get a small humidifier to raise the humidity(witht he furnace going and snow on the ground, humidity is a hard thing to come by right now where i live). if i do get the humidifier would it be better to place it right outside the intake vent or in my closet with the plant itself?

6. similar conditions to me,

i wonder this also, would having the humidifier on in the closet with the hanging buds be ok or you think that would increase chances of mold without a fan blowing it around?

7. Outside the intake for sure

8. You don't want to over humidify, plus most humidifiers spray a mist of water that would be very bad

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. so have u guys figured it out?? I once did it long ago and tried the same method now and the smell went away..

10. So...can you read the thread before posting? It's been answered multiple times.

11. Did anybody figure it out I'm going through this right now this is my second harvest the smell's lasting a little bit longer but you have to squeeze them to get it. 4 by 4 by 8 tent fan at the bottom on low Dehumidifier & humidifier atmosphere controller extraction fan always on LO & passive intake. Temperature stays exactly 67 humidity from 47 to 57. This is OG Kush I have blue dream do in about another week I would really like to figure this out now they're so pretty I really want that skunk smell.

Attached Files:

12. My weed smell comes back after about 60 days in the jars..

13. I figured it out if you want potency and smell you have to hang the whole plant if not it will dry too fast and you would lose all the smell. I did a wet trim on my OG Kush & it dried out and about 3 or 4 days has a little smell but only when you break the buds open. Now my blue dream I hung the whole plant for 3 days after 3 days i took off all the fan leaves and cut the entire plant into 4 let them hang for 3 more days then I did a dry trim & placed in brown paper bag in that evened out the moisture. My relative humidity stays about 70 in the brown paper bags once I can get it to stay at 65 I will try and start the Cure

• Like Like x 1
  14. It is definitely confirmed never do a wet trim if you won't smell and potency.
    Hanging the whole plant until it dries it's like a Fail-Safe method. The way I see it the only way I will ever do a wet trim again is if I have a high humidity problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It only took 5 years:thankyou::goodnight:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hey I'm fairly new I don't know when these posts were made ✌

17. I was just messing with you bro :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I hope everyone here figured it out. I had the same problem when I started. I went from racks, to hanging the shoe pant, to using turkey bags while hanging the plant to sweat the buds. Nothing ever worked even though the bud was so stinky when cut.

Hanging the plants to allow oils to drip oil a myth. The smell comes from terpenes, which are formed in the bud. The problem is your dry method/environment. You need to dry it in a room thats humidity controlled. Between 55% and 65% rh. It will take around 5-10 days for stems to snap depending on density/size. Then you can start to cure in jars with RH packets just incase do there is no humidity spikes.

THE HUMIDITY SPIKES KILL THE SMELL. HEAT , LIGHT, AND H20 DEGRADES TERPENES on a dead flower. This is why watercures have no smell. If you dry it in a small area that can get a humidity spike from the H20 Dispersing from the bud, or area thats over 65% rh AT ANY TIME, you are going to loose terpenes and get the grass small ( also always go an extra week during flower if in doubt, terpenes develop late, use a loop to check trichomes). Dont worry about how long it takes to dry, just make sure the room/closet/large box/ never goes above 65% in the air, as the buds wont be drying at that point and terpenes will degrade. The key is fresh air, so drying in a box or closed area that isn't ventilated is tuff. One may have to use a humidifier/dehumidifier to get the desired conditions.

19. Don't water for a few days before harvest and let the pot dry out completely, then another few day in darkness, then chop them.

20. I got in big trouble doing this. My plant was so dry I barely needed to hang it.

Got them bak to 60% rh with boveds's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk