Keep the smell through drying........

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Quiller, Sep 8, 2010.

1. i will try that next time, but i just dont see how its any different or how much difference it could possibly make considering that on my Scrog, i basically cut each stem from the bottom of the plant leaving about 8" of stem and 8-12" of bud.

What i mean is like, could an extra few inches of stem mean the difference between not smelling at all on the outside, to reeking in a baggie?

2. And also "sweat your buds" you will thank me

3. [quote name='"5Jperday"']

i will try that next time, but i just dont see how its any different or how much difference it could possibly make considering that on my Scrog, i basically cut each stem from the bottom of the plant leaving about 8" of stem and 8-12" of bud.

What i mean is like, could an extra few inches of stem mean the difference between not smelling at all on the outside, to reeking in a baggie?[/quote]

Yes, the key is slower drying, drying fast breaks chemicals to fast including thc, and taste, and if you sweat them it will curing process is faster.

• Like Like x 1

4. yea thats what my aim was to do on my most recent attempt.
    Because on my lemon it took 3 days to dry till snappy.

On the Bluberry it took around 6 days before the buds where crisping on the outside but still stems bending. Which was when i jarred some. Then i jarred more as it progressed.

I supposed it makes sense considering the BB was closer to that dank smell.

So how is it you harvest / dry your product to get such stinky weed?

5. [quote name='"5Jperday"']I had the exact same thing,
    using Lucas formula also.

Blue cheese, it STANK when it was cut but when i dried it the smell went away.

You can only get the nice cheesey smell when u squeeze, but when you grind those nuggs the armoa that comes off them is incredible and they are sooo sticky.

I cured them for 4 weeks and yes it did improve incredibly but still didnt stink from the outside at all.

When i dried mine i fucked it up a little and dried them way to fast.
    I left all the budds hanging with my extractor fan on and the other fan pointed away thinking that would be ok.

They dried bone dry in 2 days and there was no smell on them.
    they finished curing about 5 weeks ago now, and im down to my last oz or so of this dank sticky shit.[/quote]

So you left your exhaust fan on and your buds overdried/dried too quickly?

6. #27 5Jperday, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    Yes, on the first crop.

Whereas on my outdoor one it was dried slowly, 6 days before any where put in jars and the stems where bendy not snapping.

But, the smell had gone away within 12 hours after the Lemon was chopped anyways.

The thing i dont understand is that some people i have bought weed off managed to get weed that stinks without even curing it at all, im guessing they didnt care how it dried at all either.

7. #28 ChiefsitanChief, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    [quote name='"5Jperday"']

yea thats what my aim was to do on my most recent attempt.
    Because on my lemon it took 3 days to dry till snappy.

On the Bluberry it took around 6 days before the buds where crisping on the outside but still stems bending. Which was when i jarred some. Then i jarred more as it progressed.

I supposed it makes sense considering the BB was closer to that dank smell.

So how is it you harvest / dry your product to get such stinky weed?[/quote]

Flush 1 1/2-2 weeks before harvest, starve(no warter) 1 week before harvest, Blackout(no lights) 3 days before harvest, as all this process would started the drying process\t already, cut down the whole plant down (cut the whole plant from base) (if taller cut stem at trunk) now hang it 48hours, then sweat them (cut stems to size to fit in a big brown paper grocery bag, seal the bag and burp 2-3times a day for 20mins for a week)(by this time you should be past the grass smell), theeeen hang dry til stems are snappy, now place jar and burp as needed. Good luck.

8. OK sounds good, next time thats what i will try then.
    Also what temps / humidity in the drying environment?
    and what kind of ventillation if any?

9. [quote name='"5Jperday"']

OK sounds good, next time thats what i will try then.
    Also what temps / humidity in the drying environment?
    and what kind of ventillation if any?[/quote]

K after cutting down bush have a fan blowing low but not directly on the plant (temp 68-73, hum. 45-50% thru both of the hang dryings, before jar cure), also while in the bag leave enough room in them to have little air(also you can use plastic bags just put a few holes in them and watch for moisture inside the plastic, which using plastic will cause you to burp more often, but paper is preffered). Keep away from light and heat as it can reduce potentcy. Oh no vents, just inside fan.

10. This might sound kind of silly but, something I do when I have my bud curing is, I gently agitate the jar of bud after they've been burped. This causes the trichomes to bump into each other, kind of causing a scratch and sniff effect. (kind of like when you said that you could slightly smell the original aroma when you touch/slightly squeeze the buds.) But by gently agitating them against each other while enclosed in the jar, the aroma stays in the jar and adheres to the rest of the bud, helping bring out more and more of the aromas. Any trichomes that fall off will fall to the bottom of the jar and be usable for later.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know what you think about this idea.

Thanks

11. #32 5Jperday, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
    Doesnt sound silly to me, on my very first crop after discovering that my buds didnt smell until they were squeezed what i tried was to squeeze every bud in the jar and sealed the jar again hoping that the smell would stick.

It didnt but it was worth the try :p

The more i think about how this is happening the more skeptical i am towards all of these methods.

I have seen weed with my own eyes that were grown by idiots that didnt cure it at all or care about how it turns out. Pure cash croppers, not looking to improve or anything like that.
    Some AK they grew and it absolutely reeked in the bag.

Im pretty sure they didnt think to slow dry it, and paper bag it and all that stuff. And i know it wasnt cured for 1 day.

How is this happening?

12. It'll come back during curing while the compounds inside the plant break down slowly it will release the smell again.

13. goooood morning!!!!

Ive been curing mine for more than 3 months and the smell is completely gone... it will be a miracle if the smell will come back!

• Like Like x 1
  14. 5j.. yea man I know what your are talking about. Before I started to grow, my friend grew some random strain on his balcony. He didnt know shit about growing, didnt research or nothing. Quality of the harvest wasnt that good, but I remember that the buds smelt alright!

I know he didnt cure in jars.. I think he just hung them dry then bagged them up in zips!

15. Hope this helps:

Drying marijuana means reducing the water content of the buds to 10-15%, depending on the desired crispiness of the final product. This can be achieved in many different ways, but the best method is to use a climate-controlled room. The room must be lit using special green fluorescent tubes (laboratory light, of the special green spectrum that does not affect plant material). The temperature and the humidity must be constantly controlled and adjusted, and the air exchange exactly calibrated to the desired volume. In an ideal situation, you want to let most of the moisture evaporate from the bud in the first 3 days, and then the process should slow down. In the first three days, a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius and a relative humidity of 55% will ensure that the buds get to roughly 30-40% water content. From this moment on, the temperature should drop a few degrees down to 18 Celsius and the relative humidity should rise to 60% to slow down the drying process. This allows the chlorophyll and other substances to leave the buds through evaporation with the water. If the drying is too fast the chlorophyll will stay, and the smoke will have a bitterer taste, and a green aftertaste. The volume of air exchanged in the room is also critical. Do not exceed 10% of the total volume every hour, or it will be too fast. Use a timer and an open/closed duct-fan to regulate air intake and extraction. In total, the drying process should take around 10 to 14 days for a perfect taste.

Source: passion for cannabis - Drying and curing cannabis

16. yea mate, found that exact post on francos blog, i havnt been able to experiment with it yet but it looks very promising as the source is good.

but even then, i dont see how these people with no experience and putting no effort into research or anything end up with a fat sack of dank stinky bud.

let us know if u figure it out

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yea I know what u mean... shouldnt be that damn hard right!

I only had two harvests so far... first time I dried them til stems started to snap (5-6 days). 2nd time I focused on starting the curing process as soon as possible. So I dried 2-3 days til the outside felt dry, then burped til the rH dropped to 65%.

Now I'm thinking they key is not when to jar, but slowing down the drying of the buds especially for the first 3 days. Basically keeping them moist as possible. Thats why the chief who suggested hanging the whole plant might have a point. So its either that or I have to find a cooler place and higher rH.

Maybe the inexperienced growers just happened to dry them in cool temps?

When is your next harvest coming up 5j?

18. [quote name='"greenops"']Yea I know what u mean... shouldnt be that damn hard right!

I only had two harvests so far... first time I dried them til stems started to snap (5-6 days). 2nd time I focused on starting the curing process as soon as possible. So I dried 2-3 days til the outside felt dry, then burped til the rH dropped to 65%.

Now I'm thinking they key is not when to jar, but slowing down the drying of the buds especially for the first 3 days. Basically keeping them moist as possible. Thats why the chief who suggested hanging the whole plant might have a point. So its either that or I have to find a cooler place and higher rH.

Maybe the inexperienced growers just happened to dry them in cool temps?

When is your next harvest coming up 5j?[/quote]

Is to cold of temps bad when drying?!?

19. you not going to want to finish the drying process until the stem is snaps. you dont want any bending