Keep the smell through drying........

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Quiller, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Just finished my Strawberry Sour Deisel. Hydro with Gh nutes and only Gravity for an additive. Followed more of the Lucas Formula.

Smelled incredible during trimming. Fat and dense.

Dried in a hanging rack for 3 days and the smell is gone. If you squeeze the buds you can get a little of that smell back but mostly it is gone.

What did I do wrong or what could I have done to keep that strong diesel smell all the way through cure?

2. it will come back while curing

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I hope so. So disapointing. It was the best smelling weed ever. I thought I had the best batch yet and couldn't wait to dry it, cure it and show it.

I did smoke it and very pleased. One good hit and high as hell. Love that. But the strong smell it started with is what is so impressive and I lost that.

I am curing in jars. Is there anything I can do while curing to help bring back the sour diesel smell and how long should I cure it?

4. Cure it in glass and it'll end up smellin' like a diesel fuel depot:D:smoke:

5. cure it mate , it'll come back
    thats the whole point in curing cannabis to infuse herself in her scent and preserve for a smoother flavorsome inhale
    i dry for 4 weeks then cure for 4 weeks in glass jars
    i try and keep a rotation with everything
    mothers 24hrs L/on , cloned then propagate for 8 weeks , whilst propagating i have recent clones under flowering for the period of 8 weeks
    whilst under flowering i have end product from the previous 8 weeks drying for 4 weeks then from drying to jars for the other 4 weeks

its just a bummer you have to wait an extra 2months before you can smoke the first cycle but its worth it , considering it balance's itself out so you dont have a drought/dry .....no weed for a moment lol
    this way
    i have enough to last for ever
    for me my fam my friends and there friends and so on down the line............................................

good luck mate JAH BLESS!!!!!

6. I had the exact same thing,
    using Lucas formula also.

Blue cheese, it STANK when it was cut but when i dried it the smell went away.

You can only get the nice cheesey smell when u squeeze, but when you grind those nuggs the armoa that comes off them is incredible and they are sooo sticky.

I cured them for 4 weeks and yes it did improve incredibly but still didnt stink from the outside at all.

When i dried mine i fucked it up a little and dried them way to fast.
    I left all the budds hanging with my extractor fan on and the other fan pointed away thinking that would be ok.

They dried bone dry in 2 days and there was no smell on them.
    they finished curing about 5 weeks ago now, and im down to my last oz or so of this dank sticky shit.

7. ok here i am searching for curing threads again and i find my own post.

Well since this i have grown a Super lemon haze, and Auto blueberry and its happened to both of them.

The blueberry has been in jars for almost 4 weeks now and still is exactly the same, it doesnt smell but when u squeeze it the aroma comes out.

Its been in jars since the stems were quite bendy, at about 25 degrees ambient + low humidity, is that a problem when they are in jars?

8. dude same thing happened to me. i knew i cant b alone lol. and i think its happening again with some outdoors i harvested 2 weeks ago.

this time i didnt wait til the stems snap, cuz i thot thats what messed it up last time.
    i read in a tutorial to stick a hygro in the jar. when u fill it with buds it should be 60-65 rh to start curing. when its higher u risk mold so u gotta let it sit outside a lil longer. after 2 days of hanging they were still to moist with 70+ rh. smell was still nice but getting milder. i kept the lid open or just burped the jar for like 4 more days til it reached 66% rh. after that i kept them closed for most of the time. i notice the smell is almost gone.

i really wanna know wtf we r doing wrong!

• Like Like x 1

9. Yea man, it really sucks.

How can nobody here have had the same problem, and solved it?

Ive tried really hard every time ive had plants to harvest and still cannot do it right.

My Super lemon haze Smelt like Lemon bubble gum when it was chopped. about 3/4 of the way, when the stems were losing there bendyness, the smell had gone completely on the outside. And even 2-4 weeks of being in jars it hadnt came back. Unless the bud was squeezed.

My Blueberry did the same, it smelt sooooooo dank when it was chopped, all the way through drying, then towards the end of drying / start of jarring they stopped smelling on the outside. I jarred these when the stems were bendy with a hydrometer in the jar and burped everytime it went above 65%. Same issue....

10. Here is the secret to have that "smell it while in your pocket" stinch cut the plant at the base right before the roots and hang the whole thing, its the oils in the branches, and trunk that oozes into the bud and slowing moistens the bud during cure instead of the little oil it gets just from twigs, thats why you have to squeeze to smell, its not that much oil, see what I mean. So your bud gets the initial processed food/sugar to dry but the unprocessed food the thick stinky oil in the trunk drains into the gut of the bud which is why it takes a while to lightly moisten the bud because its so thick. There you go (try this when harvesting cut a piece of the trunk cut it open and smell.

11. ok cool mate, im gonna try this next time. Looks like its going to be a while though :)

12. thats interesting. its the first time i heard that the smell comes from oil in the stems.
    hanging the whole plant is worth a shot, but i'm worried the buds get mold.
    honestly i still dont believe thats the answer. i think most growers hang branches individually, some even cut the buds right then and dry em on a flat surface. they still get that dank smell...

5js, was the soil still moist when u harvested? what kinda light r u using? how long did u dry under what conditions, temp and rh range?

13. #13 5Jperday, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
    Yea, thats true.

On the Super lemon haze:
    I was using DWC bubblers hydroponics, used 2 x 600W HPS.
    I cut each branch seperately from the Scrog screen left about 6" extra stem to each cola branch and hung them in a 6 x 4 ft closet with a 8" CF extraction fan on about 30%, and a 6" Osc fan on low pointing away from the buds.
    (this was my 2nd grow so i didnt realise that was quite alot of ventillation)
    They were dried at around 24Deg, Low humidity around 20%, where stem snap dry in 4 days. i know thats fast.

From this i woulda said the possible things it coulda been was the Speed it dried due to the low humidity and highish temps,
    that or the high ventillation.

However,
    when i chopped my Auto blueberry which was grown outdoor, i dried it in a small cabinet with 35 cfm ventillation at around 40-50% humidity and it took 6days until stems where still bendy but slightly dry, and the outsides of the buds where dry.
    During that time the buds still smelt really dank, not as potent as when it was chopped though. After a few days in jars with a hygro, burping everytime the humidity went above 65%, they had lost their smell...

When the buds still smelt good after they had been dried enough for jarring, i thought id finally done it right, but they just gradually lost their smell and it didnt come back since.

Cant see what factor it is thats causing the smell to go.

maybe my jars are stored in the wrong environment?
    Using to much ventillation, high temps when drying?
    Jarring at the wrong time?
    not burping at the correct intervals etc...?

Theres all these and more but could any of them actually destroy the smell of weed if done incorrectly?
    maybe we should be asking what factors causes a loss in aroma potency on harvesting?

14. I had the exact same issue. I harvested 5 plants outdoors and tried different methods for each. The first I just trimmed immediately and hung them up to dry. I also had no smell and still after a few weeks cure have little smell. The second batch I hung the whole plant up only trimming the fan leaves. I hung it for about 5 days then trimmed as hung the buds till the stem snapped. This method brought the smell out much more and is getting stickier everyday

15. Sparky I'm guessing the difference is u overdried the first batch.
    You hung your 2nd batch as a whole, allowing them to dry much slower therefore... u were able to jar them with enough moisture in the buds to allow curing.

Thats fucked up about your blueberry man. How long have u been curing it? I'm almost getting discouraged cuz i'm putting so much time and effort in my grow... only to sit on 5 oz of tasteless weed :( its like i dont even wanna share it with my friends they are so bad lol.. but they do get me medicated tho.. thats not the problem. i'm just more the connoisseur kinda guy.
    I really hope to get an answer before its time to harvest my current grow.

16. [quote name='"greenops"']thats interesting. its the first time i heard that the smell comes from oil in the stems.
    hanging the whole plant is worth a shot, but i'm worried the buds get mold.
    honestly i still dont believe thats the answer. i think most growers hang branches individually, some even cut the buds right then and dry em on a flat surface. they still get that dank smell...

5js, was the soil still moist when u harvested? what kinda light r u using? how long did u dry under what conditions, temp and rh range?[/quote]

That's fine

17. #17 5Jperday, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    yea man, it really sucks ass.

Its been atleast 4 weeks now. Its dry enough that i dont burp it. The stems have went from slightly bendy to snappy dry on there own without burping after i got to a point in the jars. I definitely didn't burp them too much, as i hardly burped at all. Only when it was looking on the damp side.

Its such a shame because it smelt like straight amsterdam when i smoked a pure Joint of it before it was completely dry. The Musky fruit blueberry scent just gradually left. the thing is i took extreme measures to try and atleast preserve some of it in that stage.

I cant remember the exact experiment i did, but in effort to keep the smell of atleast a portion of the buds i did something like this

Every time there was a choice i would have to make (to jar, burp etc..) i would do both so that i had tried everything, in example.

I cut some with extra long stems, some with small stalks.
    I tried jarring some as buds alone, without the stems.
    I tried jarring them at differnt moistures.
    I even left some out drying for extended periods till it was snappy.

When i discovered the dank smell about 4 days after drying when the stems were still bendy i threw a handful into a jar and left the rest out drying.

2 days later i put some more into a different jar.

Then when it came to burping, i left some longer than others before burping.

In the end, all i got was bud that smelt the same, when you squeezed it you get that really fruity smell, but its not even that strong of an aroma.

The bud has serious bag appeal and its such a shame that it didnt stink..
    It literally Glistens in the light like its been dipped in sugar, also the outer edge is dark purple.. so yea..

Oh, and also i didnt mention but this was done with 2 seperate strains chopped together dried in exact same environment everything. Maybe differnt maturities however. The other strain was Mazar, and it smelt very dank like the bluberry. It lost its smell faster than the blueberry, but also had a smell resembling what i have smelt in amsterdam
    I know for a fact that the Mazar wasnt as matured as the BB.

18. This shit is just sad.. man promise me to send me a PM or something once you figure this shit out

19. yea definately man make sure you msg me if you find out also :smoke:

20. Im telling you leave more branch on the plant, like the whole plant cut from base and hang whole bush. DO IT!