Keep plants short

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tyroncurtis42, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Would someone be kind enough to share with me how I manage to keep my plants short? Maybe around 3 foot? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. What kinda light you using?, lst is the method I use, what you growing in?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I haven't started yet as I don't know how to keep them short, I only have a small attic. But I'll be growing in coco coir & perlite. Using a 400watt dual spectrum.

4. Yeah knowing all info helps... Like if growing with CFL or just tubes without right distance you'll be getting allot stretch...

And you can use ties,trellis netting, or stakes to trap limbs down and train them..,

Also strain that you pick has a lot to do with it. The rod selection will stay short, it will be in its genetics..

So there are many determining factors that can play a role in this.. Indica dominant strains are normally the short ones.. good luck BUDdy

• Like Like x 1
  5. If your using CFL , have a look at some off my pics, always keep that bulb 4" from the plant from start too Finnish, there's a blueberry twist half harvested, was only 12/5" when harvest, growing out the bottom there, others a 15 day old big bag, 300w dual spec an a couple off side 25w

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

7. I think the biggest thing would be to choose a strain that grow shorter naturally. Second would be to top and LST. I am only on my first grow, I am about to switch to flower and my plant is around 20 inches WIDE but only around 9 inches tall so even if it triples in height during flowing it won't be three feet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. What they said^ plus you can use a deep blue Metal halide for veg. Sunmaster blue ice/ full nova or Hortilux blue

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Keep metal halide grow bulb in for first two weeks of flower before switching to flower bulb.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Topping and LST and SCROG.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'm pretty new to all of this. What does LST & SCROG mean lol?

12. Low stress training and screen of green. Google them.

13. 5 weeks.JPG Flower 5 weeks.JPG

First pic is first day of 12/12 and the second is five weeks of 12/12. The tops of the colas are only 20" from the top of the buckets.

• Like Like x 1
  14. When do you start 12/12? At what stage from planting seed?

15. I would see how it goes and decide as you go based on your height restriction. They double to triple in size during flower. So if you need to keep it under 3 ft then I would go to 12/12 when it is 1-1.5 ft tall.

16. Lst and leds

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gummy bears are chasing me....lol

18. What light schedule should I use until I switch to 12/12?

19. You can use anything from about 15 hours to 24 hours for veg. I've played around with several cycles. I'd probably recommend 20 to start with. 18 is usually considered standard. Most places on earth where pot grows have less than 16 hours of peak daylight. If you go below 14 your flirting with early flower depending on your strain.