Kamel's CFL Guide

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KamelRedLight, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I don't know any electrical supply shops, but that sounds like a good idea. I gotta go check the yellow pages.

2. hey kamel i'm also on my first grow and using cfl's please have a look in the beginers forum in my thread and tell me what you think.. great thread 10 out of 10 for the info...​

3. Great guide, but i have a limited budget and am not going for a very large harvest. I only am buying one kind of bulb, I can't buy daylight AND soft white. Will it be that much of a difference if i only use one kind. And if I can use only one type, which will be better to use through veg and flower?

4. With a small operatiion like this how do you know you have female seeds? Is it just going to be the luck of the draw?

5. prettydarn,

IMHO since flower is the most impoprtant phase of growth, the soft white or 2700-3700k lights would be the best if you can only go with one type. Your seedlings might stretch a bit but, your prized buds will at least be exposed to the most favorable spectrum.

needabuz,

the only way you know 99% you have female seeds is to buy feminized seeds. Otherwise it is really luck of the draw. Stress may or may not lead to more males; no one really knows for sure. Just figure about 50/50 chance male/female.

6. Hey Kamel,

Congratulations!! I just did a Google search for" uvb cfl type light bulbs" and the fifth choice down was "Kamels CFL Guide". Anyone know where to get some good uvb bulbs? I found a bunch that looked like the flood light type with a filament.

7. Haha sweet! Now I'm a drug kingpin! I know Petsmart will rip you off 50 bucks for a UVB CFL. They also apparently had tubes, I think 2 footers. There are also mercury vapor UVB lights, probly the floods you saw. It seems a bunch of growers on here use the Zoomed 10.0 CFL, the one I got, so it must be a good one. Check out the pet shops, they're sold as reptile lights.

8. I know I saw that, they are very expensive. Where did you get your 10.0 cfl? I am not sure those flood lights would work. And how about the MV bulb. MV usually gets pretty hot. I imagine this MV UVB Bulb would get pretty hot too. Have you grown a crop without the UVB and a crop with the UVB bulb? Do you notice a difference in trich developement with or without the UVB Bulbs?

9. I'm in the middle of growing with UVB, and it doesn't seem to be doing much for this plant as far as trichome production. They seem denser on the buds themselves, but they aren't growing anywhere new. They also seem to be on shorter stalks, but maybe thats cuz I haven't looked at one under the microscope yet. I'm wondering if I'll tell a difference in the high, because apparently every previous crop should be inferior since UVB light is needed for full THC production, and this'll be my first plant that's seen UVB rays.

10. yeah I definitely noticed a difference when I had my 10.0 UVB light. You can get them off ebay.

It sucks though.. the damn thing shattered in my hand after 2 days.. cost $25 too, rather expensive. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I only see 5.0 uvb lights on ebay right now. There are no 10.0 lights.

12. Thanks for the link Kamel. You think the trichs are denser under the uvb's? Could it be that they just have more light in that area? Maybe it is the uvb. The test will be the potency.

13. would one 70watt hps bulb be suitable for one plant occupying a square foot? if anybody could post some suggestions i would really appreciate it.

14. Yes, that would be enough.

15. does anyone know what type the 42 watters from walmart are? they dont have temp/ type on them. when you look at them they look reddish....

16. most of wallyworlds cfl's are 3500k, and the others are 5000k- at least at my local wallyworld.

17. Hi I have a question, Im reading allot about 100w per plant.
    Well I have one huge (over a foot long) CFL with an actuall 200w blue spectrum.
    I have it in a closet with the measurements of 50 x 50 cm.. thats 1 3/4 ft x 1 3/4 foot.
    Now my plants are 2 weeks old and about 6 inch. Is this enough light for the moment ?
    Cause if I were to use 100 watts per plant man.. that would be 900 watts on a 50x50 cm.. i guess that would vaporize my plants...
    My plants look healthy.. could be a bit more stout .. wish I could post a pic but i got a new laptop with Vista on it and the friggin useless vista wont support any drivers for my cam... grrrr...
    Any advice would really be appreciated.. :D

18. tom,

200 watts of CFL's for 9 plants would be fine for a very short period of time while they are small. Figure a bare minimum of 30 watts per square foot when flowering. A better number would be 50 watts per square foot in flower. If you add up your square footage it turns out that 200 watts would be enough on paper. However, 9 adult females will be well under lit with only 200 watts.

420grower, If the cfl bulb looks red, it is proabably 2700k-3500k or so.

19. Thanks allot for the advise... I just put them under a 600W Hps lamp for the time being untill I get more 200w CFLs for the clones ..