Justice

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Continuum, Sep 27, 2014.

1. I think one of the bigger problems in the world right now is the notion that most people seem to have about justice, what it means and how it is executed.

Whenever someone commits some crime, killing a baby, raping someone, beating up a autistic kid or whatever it is, people form this bloodthirsty mob.  I saw this video today that I believe was filmed in Turkey, where attempted rapists were tied up in public and a bunch of women were slapping them with sandals and whatever.  And people were commenting on it, basically calling for their execution and that it would be just.

Really?  That isn't justice, that's revenge.  The whole reason we have a justice system is for the purpose of of crime prevention.  It is supposed to deter crimes in the future, by creating an idea in would-be in the criminal's mind that there are repercussions for causing harm to someone.  What greater justice is there than preventing a crime from happening?

I try to explain this to people, and their response is 'Well what if it was your little sister or kid that was raped and/or murdered, you wouldn't feel that way then, would you?'  No, I wouldn't.  And that's why idea that 'Justice is Blind' exists, to differentiate it from revenge.  The justice system shouldn't take into consideration my personal anger when doling out punishment.  It should be, it has to be, a neutral third party, otherwise the criminal's loved ones feel the same as I did, and the cycle continues.

Our justice system, as flawed as it sometimes may be, is the biggest difference between civilized society and barbaric, bronze-age cultures.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but it really bothers me that people don't appreciate or understand this.

2. We lock up a disproportionate amount of the world's population.

It's anuthing but justice in my mind. And is not something that separates us from more barbaric processes when we have such an over inflated system that does not work to prevent crime but instead perpetuates it