Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just when I thought it was OVER!!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by afhottieprep, Dec 22, 2007.

1. I dont think I remember telling you guys that I was arrested back in May 2007 over the Memorial Weekend holiday coming home from Florida. I was in the backseat and had my weed in bag next to me. My friend was driving and another was in passenger. Well the driver got pulled over for speeding and he was given a fine for speeding, possession of marijuana, possession of my pipe (he had it at the time), and some uninditified pills. The passenger didn't get arrested since he didn't have anything on him.

I, on the hand, was arrested for 1/7 or 1/8 of weed and possession of grinder, papers and roller. I had a $300 bail and had to pay $630.00 fine for it.

Then just today, 2 days before Christmas, I got a letter from the State of MS Dept of Public Safely saying "as a result of a court conviction for an offense under the controlled substance act my driving privilege is suspended for 6 months effective July 31, 2007 (date I paid my fine and went court). until Jan 27, 2008.

The odd thing is they sent this letter Dec 7, 2007..15 days LATE!
    I have been driving on a suspended licensed without even knowing it. I wasn't told that my license will be suspended at court..nothing. What should I do about this situation?

2. stop driving for the next 4.5 weeks?

3. Consider yourself a lucky man?

4. you consider yourself lucky you didnt get caught with no license.
    sucks man, looks like youll be hoofin` it for a little bit, all that for some marijuana? u werent driving or anything? thats some shit

5. yeah im lucky haha..so i dunno im gonna call them next week and see about it or something..i haven't really put much thought it..it hasn't settled down into me yet.

6. Just one month man. Well you haven't been pulled over yet so keep doing what your doing. Just be really cautious when you drive to avoid being pulled over and try not to drive as much.

7. if he gets caught w/o a license, he can kiss the thought of cheap insurance goodbye... and he'll be kissing his licence goodbye for a minimum of a year...

It's only 4 weeks... take the bus. $50 for bus rides/taxi's is MUCH MUCH less than a $5000+ fine, insurance that is throught he roof, and a full year or more of bus rides/taxi's...

Play it safe dude.... play it safe...

8. i think i'll just play it safe and try not to get pulled over.
    I got pulled over on the Trace (Natchez Trace) 1 month ago for driving 50mph on a exit curve and a ranger from the Trace stopped me for that. He just told me to slow down and not drive too fast. He didn't seem to notice that my license has already been suspended. Lucky again eh?

9. besides considering yourself a lucky man, you should consider yourself unlucky.

Your liscence has temporarily been suspended, this has happened to me on several occasions. You were suspended in july, but did not recieve your letter till december.

This has also happened to me. I on the other hand got pulled over and arrested for driving with a suspended liscence (even though I was unaware). In doing so, they said just because my liscence was suspended for 30 days, 2 months ago and I was never notified. my suspension never actually took place because I failed to give my liscence back to the MVA.

YOu may have been suspended since july, but the actual six month suspension starts when you hand your liscence over to the MVA. So, you've still got a good six months ahead of you.

Unless your laws are different than mine. (i'm in MD).

Although, I dont know how much different they could be. Law states driving is a privelage, and apaun suspension you must hand over your liscence. You have to "buy" another liscence for 25$ after your suspension is up, in order to show which date you got your liscence back.

So I had a suspension for 30 days, I got pu lled over 2-3 months after that 30 day period was over (not knowing I had been suspended). I got arrested because of it. But I also had 6 months ahead of me of a suspended liscence (even though it was technically past the 30 day suspension time) because I had failed to turn my liscence in.

I'd check up on it man, it could be worse than you think.

I had to get a lawyer to sort out the whole mess.

10. ^^ Listen to him. Don't be do anything stupid that you might regret. Imagine trying to explain why you are in jail around Christmas to your friends and family.

11. "YOu may have been suspended since july, but the actual six month suspension starts when you hand your liscence over to the MVA. So, you've still got a good six months ahead of you."

six months? i have passed the 5 month mark without knowing my license was suspended. Plus it will end on on Jan 27th...36 more days left. I can't believe government just waited to send the letter 5 months later saying my license was suspended when in the end, I lose since I didn't turn in my license 5 months ago. It's has been government's fault all along. I was so unaware of it. They do need to get their SHIT straight! :mad:

*sighs* ok calm down :bongin:

12. i'd say i depeneds, if you aint got work or school or nothin just say fuck it, a month isn't that long without a car and you can still use your car if you absolutly need it...as long as you dont get pulled over. if you need to go to work and shit though, go to the courthouse with the letter, tell them that 1) you should not have even got your license suspened being that you where not the driver and it was merely a possession charge 2)you cannot have your license suspened if you already went to court for this and they didn't sentace you with it 3) if they did actually suspened your license its illegal for them to not tell you about it untill it's almost up like that. chances are they fucked up and if you take it to the courthouse they will probly lift it, same thing happened with my buddy when he got an underage drinking ticket.

hope this helps, but i might be wrong im pretty blazed :smoke:

13. Not smart to try and "play it safe..." Say you pull up to a four way with a cop on your left. Runs your plates, sees you have a suspended licenese, and BAM. You're screwed.

14. yeah assface, that is actually what I've been thinkin of doing and explaining why I wasn't aware of the letter (didn't get the notice letter saying license was suspended starting July 31, 07). I can tell them I got the letter 15 days late when they sent it out Dec. 7, not July 31. I ain't falling for that shit. Hell my stars gonna align and be doing it right and proving them my case. I'm not really nervous or any of that nature...I have faith that things will come out alright.

15. technically, you cant be arrested for driving a suspended liscence when you were unaware of the suspension, but, they can also say the MVA sent out a letter on such and such a date, and there is no way to prove that you did not get the letter (even if it was lost in the mail) since you don't have to sign for it when it arrives at your house. So saying you were unaware may not help (i was unaware, and it made no difference).

But trying to wait until after the date of the suspension to drive, and not actually tell them you have been driving wont do you any good, since the suspension technically does NOT START till you turn your liscence over to the MVA. Just becaase the original suspension date is over does not make it safe to drive, or mean that she suspension is over. Your first day for being suspended may have been in july, but the first real day that counts is the day you hang your liscence over (also get something from them stating you handed your liscence over, you dont want to wait 6 months and have them say they never got your liscence because someone filed it in the wrong droor and lost it).

Though the law states you can't be prosecuted for driving on a suspended liscence when you were unaware or unnotified of its suspension, but at the same time there is NO WAY to prove that you did not know, error at the MVA or post office or not.

Just because you say that you were unaware of the letter means nothing. I was unaware of my suspension, and 2 months after it was supposedly over was when I got pulled over for speeding (and again, I was unaware that I had been suspended in the first place, and I technically should have gotten my liscence back from it 2 months prior to being pulled over).

getting the lawyer, my charges for driving on a suspended liscence were thrown out, but there was no way to prove that I didnt know I was suspended, so I still had to go ahead with the 30 day suspension. While I was happy that the charges for driving on a suspension were thrown out (insurance is a BITCH after that, and getting caught driving on a suspended liscence is 12 months revokation or 12 points and liscence removal. )

BUT, 2 months after I should have gotten my liscence back, I handed it over and started with my 30 day suspension. It really sucked. But find out whats going on now and take care of it before you get arrested. I didnt have anything on me, but while being arrested they did a very thourough search of my car. As they do with anyone who is being arrested for any reason.

Beleive me, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but unless your laws are very different than mine, you are just at the beggining.

This happened to me back in june, and my last court date for it will be in january. (4 court dates, and 2 MVA hearings). I'm 5000 dollars poorer (lawyer fees, and this is a fairly cheap lawyer) and I lost my job due to having to take off so much for lawyer/court. I'm not trying to say your situation is this bad, it's not. But I am saying if you take care of this before you get any deeper, you could get out with 1 court date, and 30 days suspension with no fees.

But if you wait, and get caught, or dont ask about turning in your liscence and want to try and play the "but I didnt know" game. you could have a long road ahead, of Court, (district for traffic and circuit for driving on suspension)Appeals, Postponements, A lawyer(unless you dont want to drive for a year), and MVA hearings. (to see if they should suspend you further for not complying when they suspended you before). Just get'er taken care of so you can get out with no lawyer or court fees :p

Technically, they dont have to send you a second notice. My friend drove on a suspended liscence for over a year before he realised it was suspended.

I dunno, your situation doesent sound that bad, but dont ignore it and hope it'll get better or go away. I'd rather look into it.

peace!

16. But it is not MY responsibility to prove that I didn't know... it's the courts responsibility to prove that I DID know...

17. Don't call them just play it safe and finish the rest of your time (what a month?) And then you'll be home free... so long you dont get caught again.

18. If you want, we could start an armed rebellion against the US government. We could destroy ALL of their records, maybe take down a sattelite or ten.

19. playing it safe will not do anything. and while it is their responsibility to let you know, they can say they let you know. Wether you recieved the letter or not means absolutly nothing and is not their problem (in their eyes). I'm just telling you how the real world works. It's happened to me. They sent a letter, I didn't get it. I've tried playing it safe and waiting till after the time is up, but in truth, you do not start a suspension until the liscence is turned it. So play it safe and wait another month. THat's one more month you'll drive illeagally (or not drive), and when you start driving after that and get pulled over thinking its safe becauase the time is up, YOu'll be in the SAME boat that I was. Because your lsicence is still suspended until it has been turned in for the ammount of time you were suspended for.

Play it safe and wait, but you'll be sorry. It may be their responsibility to let you know, but all they have to say is that they sent you a letter on such and such a date. You dont sign for these letters so theres no way to say that you didn't get it.

when it's your word vs the MVA, the court beleives the MVA. Sorry man, it's just the way it works. They say they sent a letter, you say you didnt get one. But they could say they sent ten letters, and you could say you didnt get any of them. You see how it works? It's your word vs theirs, and when they have a record stating they sent out a letter on such a date, thats all they have to do.

do yourself a favor and check it out. Don't play it safe and think just because the six months is up that you're safe. You'll be driving, get pulled over for speeding, forgetting this ever happened and get arrested. I'd rather ask them, put up with getting dealt a bad fucking punch and suck it up, than decide whatever, it's not my fault that they didnt inform me and play ignorant to the whole situation.

20. Your best bet would be to consult a traffic lawyer ahead of time before doing anything. You can get a consultation for free over the phone explaining your situation, and can take advice from there. But don't play ignorant to the whole situation just beacuse you didn't know. Life isn't always fair, and sometime you get dealt an unfair hand. You can't act like it's not there just because it wasn't your fault. The system is fucked up, and I hate saying it, because I used to have the same attitude about it. It's not my fault so why should it matter when they fucked up? Well, the second you say shit like that instead of taking care of the problem it becomes your fault.

That's all the advice I can give on the subject, beleive me, don't beleive me. Take others advice and just play it safe. But please do yourself a favor, call a lawyer and ask what your options are with this. If your state is anything like mine, you've got 6 months ahead of you, and waiting a month till the original date was up, is just prolonging the six months you'll have.

It fucking sucks, but it's the way it is.