Just thinking some stuff about other life in space and a website you have to checkout

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Chief Tokem, Apr 24, 2008.

1. So first off heres the link
    http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=4607&gid=328
    Its some space website that has a good amount of pictures by the hubble (not sure on spelling) telescope that I think are absolutely amazing. There honestly some of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life. If you've never checked out pictures like this you will have the same reaction.
    So go look at them real quick and come back.

Now that youve seen them, I feel like babbling my thoughts. First off, I had no clue we knew this much space shit. I knew we were discovering galaxies similar to our own, but the detailed images of these nebulas and supernova aftermath shocked me.

So on a different but similar track, I completely believe there's other intelligent life forms out there, whether its in our galaxy or some other one. The picture that shows 500+ galaxies just reassured my beliefs even more. So I was sitting there thinking, when are we gonna get some real concrete proof that there are other intelligent life forms, or that they will visit us. And I realized we are in a kind of loophole. If some alien race was able ot reach our planet, they would have to be extremely intelligent and extremely more advanced than we are, because we have looked a pretty good distance out there ( I know its nothing when you compare it to how endlessly giant space must be, but still, its fucking far) and havent found shit.
    So, if one of these intelligent alien races were to ever examine our planet, why the hell would they want to bother with us? They would easily have the technology to view us without having to come close enough to be detectable, and when they see that we're quite primitive in comparison to them, and how destructive human life can be, they would fly their space ships right on by. We would be worthless to them. So the way I see it, no encounters will happen untill we go out and make them happen. which is not happening anytime soon.

Thoughts like these and those amazing pictures make me sad that I wont be around to witness any of it first hand.

2. you know all of those pictures are false color right, and in reality they look nothing like it? Not only that but most of the features we can see, we can't actually see through the telescope, because they are made by visible through the use of false color?

but you're completely right about there being life out there

Currently there is an estimated 500 billion galaxies in the universe. The milky way contains between 200 billion-400 billion stars. Of those stars, our star has 8 planets and 3 dwarf planets currently known.

Multiply all that together and theres a possible 2,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe.

The possibilities for life are endless, on a long enough time lime anything is possible.

3. Sadly after making the thread and reading below the pictures to figure out that they were just transcribing images and digitally coloring them, I lost alot of the amazement I had for them. They're still awesome, but now the whole "natural" beauty thing that really clicked with me is gone.

But yeah for sure, its not like its crazy that there is. It would be illogical that there's not. Havent seen any good number stuff though, those are some pretty crazy odds.

but the part that really gets me is I swear there are alien races that came by earth, took a look, said screw this primitive creatures and cruised back home.

4. And you got to admit, even being colored and all they are pretty beautiful from an art standpoint. I prefer not to digitally enhance my photography though.

5. Sorry to kill the joy in those pictures, on the contrary though you can marvel in the fact that photoshop layering and color filters from gas spectragraphs do look pretty cool :D

As far as aliens visiting us, I'd be hardpressed to believe that anyone has visited us. The universe is so fucking massive that it takes forever to get across it.

Unless there is a way to create worm holes on demand, the possibility of practical inter-galaxy travel is non-existant. And thats not even mentioning inter-universal travel.

6. ive said this again and again, but here it is...yet again. quantum physics tells us there are 15 known dimensions. WHY are we only in 3D? if youve read up on ufo encounters, interviews, youll find the aliens are not only extra terrstrial, but extra dimensional. therefore the same laws cannot apply to the aliens. also, are you guys disregarding the info we have on ufos or what? so many people have claimed to see them, so much (semi)'proof' to it. why is it so impossible that they are on the next solar system over?

7. The color thing... what makes you think color is more than subjective appearance?

Have you tried acid yet?

8. No I haven't tried acid yet. All I'm saying is that we use false-color to show features that normally would be invisible in the visible spectrum of light.

I think I see what you are trying to get at though, and I like how you phrase that. Thats some deep thinking sir.

9. Snakes can see in IR, the colors are there,, the human eye just cnt see them.

10. Thats cool and all, but theres nothing nature that will see a 21cm emission line.

11. I guess I got a few questions now after all you space dudes have conversed. I understand the unlikelyness (is that a word?) of being visited by things from a different galaxy, because of the whole having to create worm holes due to the amount of space between different galaxies and ours, but isnt it possible that there would some sort of alien life form in our galaxy, just in a different solar system? or do we even have/know of other solar sytems in our galaxy. and if we Do, then do we know how many solar systems are in our galaxy?

And whats IR, and if the guy who talked about acid would be kind enough to explain what his talking about Ide appreciate it. Talking about trippy shit like this with people here on GC is one of my favorite things to do, everyone has so much knowledge to offer on tons of different things.

12. Each star is a solar system. Think of it this way, if the sun were the size of the period on a page, the next closest star Alpha Centauri(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_centauri) would be 9 miles away. On that same notion, the galaxy would be the distance between earth and the moon. (100,000LY across)

IR is part of the electromagnetic spectrum
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can use every bit of the electromagnetic spectrum to see whats in space, thats how we know everything we know. The IR spectrum correlates to the heat of a thermal emitter. I.e IR cameras see body heat, and we can use IR lenses to view dark clouds of gas that normally don't show in the visible spectrum.

We can use
    diffraction gratings to see absorption lines, which show elements and compounds in anything we can look at, includinig clouds of molecular gas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]