just the basics

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by katebtr, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hello all. I want to start my first grow soon, but I don't feel anywhere near ready. I have been researching for a few months, reading a lot of threads on here, and a few books, but I feel like I haven't retained a lot of the info. I feel overwhelmed with all the info I have taken in, so I was wondering if some kindly grasscityers could give me a rundown, and/or links to everything you think is necessary to know before a grow. Just a list would be ok; I can find the info if I need to. I know a lot of what I learn will be hands-on, and I think I just need to start soon.
    I plan to use a good quality LED, probably hydroponic, though I have heard soil is more forgiving for beginners. Still deciding on a strain/bank, but it will be some sort of indica or hybrid, since virtually all sources say sativa grows suck indoors. 
    Thank you everyone in advance. I want to be well-researched, but it's tough to sort out the small nuances from the necessities when you don't know anyone in real life that does this, and can't even ask for fear of the stigma and unjust consequences. 

2. Calm down young Blade.  Just start growing and you figure most things out.  Don't use Miracle Grow for anything.  Soil is a better starting point IMO.  I mix my own dirt and have never had any issues with it, but that is me.  Some people buy the Fox Farms soil, but have issue with germinating in it being too "hot".  

The best thing you can do is just start growing and ask questions when things come up.  It's kinda like planning for the weather 3 weeks out, it's a little tough to do.  Good luck and welcome.

3. That's a lot of info for someone to type up, especially when its already written in the stickies how to grow pretty much start to finish. Maybe if you ask more specific questions in the areas where you're confused, you might get more help.

4. I can recommend the Calif Light Works led lights. I am currently using two SolarFlare 200's and like their product very much. Good build, high quality light. They have the 5w diodes.

5. I second the California light works.
    They are not cheap but they work great! I run the 440s with great results..

I am so open minded you should only think like me..

6. I don't know if it helps, but I was at the same point, as I am sure most newbies are to the world of growing. I started by researching what was needed environmentally (lights, filter(s), inline fans, flex venting. It also helps if you know someone who has a successful grow going (we don't all have that luxury). Check some of the members grow journals and check their setup if you can. I started with soil, being a beginner. Best advice is to KISS...keep it simple silly! You will surely add and subtract things as you learn to grow, but I found I invested in too much STUFF that I didn't need. Get your room right, use soil (IMO) and have fun with it! Be careful! You will become obsessed with growing! It's easier than you think! And I agree wholeheartedly....check back as issues arise and you will become proficient in no time, producing quality bud! Best of luck! You're in the right place for a successful grow! :gc_rocks:

It helps if you divide things into categories. Lighting, medium/nutrients, ventilation, training methods.

Your book knowledge will correlate with practical experience in small moments of understanding, which build up over time. That process is faster for some people than others, 6 years into growing and I'm still learning new things while others become masters in the same time frame.

Efficiency means different things to different people. To me it's the highest yield for the least amount of physical work, for others it's grams per watt no matter how much work is involved. Point is, you shouldn't apply other people's standards to your own grow. If you're happy with what you're doing then you are successful.

I've heard it said that grow ops are like snowflakes because no two are the same. There are way too many variables to put everything into one thread or post, it's on you to learn the specifics of each variable and how they apply to your unique situation. I never had a mentor, learned everything from reading and searching these forums, which could be considered a valuable growing skill if you're not used to doing research.

Cheers and good luck bro!! :bongin: