Just starting to work out

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Braves4590, Jan 21, 2010.

1. I've always been a skinny guy, the hardgainer type with a very fast metabolism which makes it very difficult to gain weight. So I have a few questions:

1. How many times a week should I hit the gym, and how long should I go for each time? How long before I start seeing results?

2. Should I drink whey protein shakes to help me gain weight/mass faster?

3. I really don't want to be a huge muscleman, I want more lean muscle and I have a feeling with my body type that's what I'm gonna get, but I want to make sure. Any tips to get lean muscle as opposed to fatty "linebacker" muscles?

4. Diet... I've been eating lots of fast food lately because I'm trying to gain weight but it's not doing anything. I know I should eat high in protein, so I need chicken breast, yogurt, steak, and stuff like that, right?

5. Back muscles seem to be the hardest thing to get. I have mild scoliosis, it's not really noticeable with my shirt on at all, it's just that my neck and shoulders are pushed forward a little bit (I think it's known as "roundback"). Because of this, when I do back muscle exercises I don't think they work as well.

Thanks for any help.

2. #2 Ryan1411, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
    Check out the Bodybuilding.com site, and their forum, and educate yourself a little bit. That way you can be sure to make the most optimal gains.

1. Try this Rippetoes routine. Writeup for Rippetoe's program - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    Real simple, 3x/week. You could try this for 4-6 months, then some 5x5, then some German Volume Training, or really...whatever you like. I guess the most important thing is to learn the science behind effectively making muscle gains.

2. Whey Protein isn't a magical supplement. The real key here is your diet. You want enough nutrients to allow for muscle gains, but not TOO much. If you're say, 140 pounds, maybe 2500-2800 calories would do you well. I think people suggest 1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight (or is it kg? idk). 40/40/20 or 50/35/15 % carbs/protein/fat would probably be a good ratio. (Remember...carbs/protein have 4cal/gram, fat has 9cal/gram. Keep the refined sugars to a minimum. Fruits and veggies are always good. And remember to drink lots of water!

4-6 meals per day, and a couple "snacks" (post workout, right before bed meal, etc"

Some suggestions: Morning: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 eggs, 1 glass milk.
    15 minutes Post workout: Gatorade, 1 scoop whey protein.
    45 minutes after this: Big meal of whole wheat pasta, chicken, veggies.
    Right before bed: 1-2 servings cottage cheese.
    I suggested these because to me, they're the most crucial meals.

3. Do some cardio, keep bodyfat low. You won't turn into a super huge guy overnight. Just try to keep your bodyfat between, say, 9-13%.

4. Don't purposely eat junk food to try and gain weight. You'll pack on fat...not good. Like I said, consume enough HEALTHY calories (complex carbs (not the refined sugars), lean meats, healthy fats, etc. If you hit they gym, have a good diet (and stick to it!), you WILL grow. (Remember, you grow outside of the gym, not in the gym. Workout>Eat/Rest>Muscle gain.)

5. Not sure what to say about this. But check this out for a list of exercises. Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides!
    You need to have proper form to feel it.
    And also a little tip, for every exercise you do, take note of the muscles it's supposed to work. When you perform it, "squeeze" these muscles and make sure you're putting all your effort into working those muscles, while minimizing the ones the exercise isn't supposed to work.

Another tip: The majority of your exercises should be free weights (not machines). Do mostly compounds, and throw in a couple isolation exercises if you want.