Just started my first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jolt-1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Probably not going to post here too often, but here is what I started with and I will definitely post the final product.

Set up for now: We decided that putting/taking out stuff under the plant will be easier than raising the light. Once we transplant to the big pot we'll get a more stable base. I have 4 babies planted, separated by pieces of a cd case.

By the way, are my lights too far away from the plant? I think I'm gonna move them closer tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to get this pot for 6.99, and the cashier entered 699 at $17.48 lol

[​IMG]

In case you were wondering what the pink thing said, me and my buddy decided that plant was gonna be our female that we grow so we named it. (hope it actually comes fem)

[​IMG]

2. What kind of lights are those?

3. Well, don't make fun of me, but I think one of them is useless. They're the lights that came in the set up, so it is full spectrum. I wanted to use the same lights for vegging+flowering, and any other set up to get the same wattage (315) was going to cost me 2-3x what I paid.

Here's the stats:

CFL 105W 6200 lumens Daylight Full Spectrum
    CFL 105W 5000 lumens Medium Base Warm White
    CFL 105W 5000 lumens Cool White

When I switch over to flowering stage I may switch out the Warm White for another Cool White (that's right, right? Should I try to get Soft White?).

4. Well optimum light spectrum for veg is 5500k+ and flowering is 2500-2700k.

So when flowering comes around get a hold of a couple of the 2700k's.

5. Eh, I'll def grab at least one. Gotta see prices. I'm gonna keep the daylight going the whole grow and I'll switch out at least the warm white, maybe the cool white.

How bout distance? If you need a frame of reference I think the rectangle I'm currently in is 7.5" tall. I begin to feel warmth from the light maybe a couple inches up.

Btw I'm using fox farm nutes, grow big and big bloom. Should I get tigerbloom too? How much of a difference will that make?

6. When growing with CFl's the light's has to be very close, im talking inches above the plants. But since your plant is so small i wouldn't go down that far yet but def lower that light ALOT.

I use Flora Nova nutes so i dont really have any experience with FF nutes.

7. I've read to be 2", 12", 14" all to be optimal distance. Then someone just said "if its warm on your hand it'll burn the plant" so I went by that. These things definitely don't put out a lot of heat so I was gonna see how 8" works later, but I don't wanna burn the little guys right now. I literally put the germinated seeds in the soil about an hour ago. Think I should get them to 8" ASAP?

Thanks for the link. That's funny, that is literally the exact website I was on 2 minutes ago. I think I'm gonna order 2 of them in a couple weeks after I see how the vegging is going. Gonna try to LST, since I don't have many plants or much space I want to get the most out of this one.

8. I'm not totally sure on how high to put the light for seedling's, but once it takes root i would lower it. The Blue spectrum CFL's wont burn your baby, but the red spectrum for flowering will.

EDIT-And the heat on the hand mean's how close can your hand get to the light before it's uncomfortable. If it's just warm your good.

9. Sounds good man thanks for the advice. I'll try to research CFL+babies and see what I can find.

10. Anything to help out a fellow Grower. :bongin: