Just some quick questions!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by paintballer3404, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Hey, so I will be growing 1-2 white widow plants soon. I'm using fox farm ocean forest soil and a 400watt HPS light. Just wondering if someone can give me a basic guide to how and when I should be feeding my plants nutrients. Was planning on using fox farm nutrients but don't know which ones exactly to be using. Also, what should be the average distance between my 400 watt hps light and my plants? Thanks in advance.

2. Fox farm nutes are strong.. Should come with a feeding schedule. Soil is easy. If your running hydro use 1/4 of the recommended dosage till you get true leaves. Don't let the heat level at the plant top reach more than 85 ever. Moisture should never get over 65. Based on that keep the light as close as possible and feed em as much nutes as possible

3. Don't start nutes until one month. FFOF has 30 days worth of nutrients.

Start at 1/4 strength for 1 week.
    1/2 strength for 2 weeks.
    Then, full strength until 2 weeks before harvest.

4. Yeah im growing in soil, not hydro. and okay so it's more of a matter of the temperature around the plant then the distance of the light? so should a couple feet away be good and then move it as i see fit?

5. Sounds solid. Thanks man. also I am completely new to growing. Do I just mix the nutrients in with the soil? and when you say 1/4th strenght does that just mean a 1/4th of whatever is the recommended dose on the bag? And is there any specific bag i have to buy or just plain foxfarm nutrients?

6. #6 BYOweed, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
    [quote name='"paintballer3404"']

Sounds solid. Thanks man. also I am completely new to growing. Do I just mix the nutrients in with the soil? and when you say 1/4th strenght does that just mean a 1/4th of whatever is the recommended dose on the bag? And is there any specific bag i have to buy or just plain foxfarm nutrients?[/quote]

Foxfarm nute trio is what the last post was based on.

It comes with 3 bottles; Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom.

Follow the schedule on their site besides the first month. Get a gallon of water and pour in the amount of scheduled nutes at the schedules strength.

For example, their schedule says 2 tsp of Grow Big. For the first week you should pour 1/4 strength (0.5 tsp) into the gallon of water. Use the nutrient water everyother watering.

(You may only use 1/2 gallon of 1/4 strength nutes, so you can use .25 tsp per half gallon.)

Here's the schedule:
    http://www.ultragreenhydro.com/images/Feed/Fox Farms/FoxFarrm Soilfeed.pdf

7. Grab a cheap thermometer from the dollar store. . Will aid in monitoring stress levels. Any nutrients will do. I've never added nutes to pre mixed soil so I have no idea. The only pre mix i ever used was miracle grow and it did fine for some small plants. I have no idea how people manage to get ounces upon pounds per plant.. My advice is just Wing it. No worries.. I'd suggest advanced nutrients as they have this new ph perfect lineup that's suppose to be efficient. Am using botanicare myself with happy results so far.

8. I love ffoc but I wouldnt recommend using it from start to finish. For one thing, it is a little too "hot" for some types of seedlings. I would use something more basic to start them with, like a ProMIX. The seed it self has all the necessary hormones and nutrients stored inside the shell to form the tap root and first set of flowers. After about 14-21 days your tap root will start to branch out and form into a ball of roots, this is generally when you want to start making nutrients available to your plant.

If you are using FFOC, then you wont need to feed right away, wait for your plants to "tell/show" you when to feed. Keep a close eye on them and give them 1/4 strength dosages until you have corrected the problem.

For flowering I would recommend adding some amendments to the FFOC mix, some dolomite lime, a little kelp, crab and neam meal, and a lot of high P bat guano are usually what I add to my mix for the flowering phase.

Just go all soil amendment is what im getting at...lol... then you wont have the need to spend extra on their nutrient kits

good luck with the grow

hope it helps

9. Matt is talkin bout that fancy all organic additive uppity BS. Don't listen to him:). Get some bottle nutrients Mann. Plus with them bottled liquid nutrients you can just pour the shit right on top of the soil then water as usual. No mixing is needed. And you'll never know what you poured onto your roots ;). But I'm lazy..

10. Perhaps this uppity pre mix additive fancy shit is how the pro's manage pounds per plant? Hard work and sweat? .. Nahh that don't sound legit.

11. hahah okay thanks for all of the info. I think im just going to go with the fox farm nutrients and the 1/4,1/2,full strnwgrh guide. Its my first grow so i'm going to see how I do with that before I start getting all fancy and shit.

12. Also, you said full strength until 2 weeks before harvest. What should I do for those last 2 weeks?

13. [quote name='"sobre"']Matt is talkin bout that fancy all organic additive uppity BS. Don't listen to him:). Get some bottle nutrients Mann. Plus with them bottled liquid nutrients you can just pour the shit right on top of the soil then water as usual. No mixing is needed. And you'll never know what you poured onto your roots ;). But I'm lazy..[/quote]

You shouldn't not listen to an opinion..

And you don't pour the bottled nutes on the soil.. You mix them in water.

14. [quote name='"paintballer3404"']

Also, you said full strength until 2 weeks before harvest. What should I do for those last 2 weeks?[/quote]

Only water. This is flushing, it gets rid of all the salt build up and extra nutes in the soil before you harvest

15. The last 2 weeks you will flush your plant with water only.. Give it a few days to recover from the flush before you water again. Then just continue giving it only water for the remaining of the flower period. They say the last 2 days before chop dont water and let it dry out. ( some say use a 2 day dark period with no lights to increase potency, but no scientific studies prove this)

16. DONT start your seeds in straight fox farm ocean forest, its too hot for seedlings, use a plain soil. All you need is light, clean water, heat and soil...

Actually Sobre, if you are looking for the easy way out, a complete start to finish organically amended soil, is no doubt the easiest way to go. Its not really uppity, its just science..lol :D It might require a little bit of time learning about the process but once you put in the initial effort, its like "cruise control" for your soil.

If you are pouring your liquid ferts directly on the top of the soil, and then watering it in, you might need to spend a little more time reading in the" Basic Growing" Chapter, dont skip all the way to the "soil amendment" chapter....;)

Most of us growers will choose to put in the time and effort needed to grow weed to the best of their ability, which ever way you decide to go is completely up to your experience level and what items you have available in your area...best of luck to you all..

If anyone hasnt tried adding a little bit of Kelp Meal in their soil, do your self a favor and try it just one time!! Make sure to add accordingly

MM

17. No I will Not. I will pour my nutrients directly from the Bottle onto my coco coir and root mass.. Then I will sufficiently drench the shit out of said coco and root mass with tap water. And repeat. Someone posted somewhere that this is a legit option.. I suppose it may have been a coconut husk specific method. But seems to work without any difference in plant stress.. But I'm just a noob, don't not listen to not me advice not advice me.

Signature

18. I rent an apartment and never throw out my Unnmentionables. So hydro is best for me ATM. Though coco is cheap and lightweight so getting it shipped discretely was cake. I couldn't agree more that soil produces the tastiest products. But I also won't argue that properly grown hydro will compete neck and neck. Though I've only tasted such on a few occasions :) :)

19. Coco is not illegal :p

20. Add some worm castings, perlite and a few additives and don't use bottled nutes.