Just saw the saddest movie.....

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dallasboy678, Aug 22, 2010.

1. I rented the movie "The Road" because I love end of the world flicks. But this movie....I don't know what to say. I feel emotionally scarred. This was just.....I can't even explain it. Have any of you guys seen this movie?

2. yah man i saw it in theaters, i felt like i had been through a tragic life experience afterwards. like i thought it was a good movie, but soo fucking depressing.

3. I liked the movie, but still....it was heavy stuff

4. Dang, I really want to see this movie. I read the book, and thought it was amazing. I've only heard good things about the movie. (I don't mind depressing movies)

5. This movie is the single most powerful movie I have ever seen

6. It's really good. I can't say that it scarred me, but it was enjoyable and had quite a few intense scenes. Probably my favourite movie with Viggo Mortensen.

If you haven't seen it already, you should watch No Country For Old Men - a Coen Brothers film adapted from the book written by the same dude who wrote The Road, one of my favourite movies of all time.

7. I'd have to say the most depressing movie I've seen was Requiem for a Dream. As horrifying as it was, it was the best movie I'd seen in a long time.

8. I read the book and seen the movie many times, I had bought the dvd. Despite that the world is dying, people killing and eating other people, storing them in cellars like a bag of potatoes. It's a story about a father loving, protecting and getting his son to the only hope there might be by traveling the road, heading south.

9. really good movie.

10. hahah i had to turn that movie off! it made me feel just fucked up and depressed.

11. I think Synecdoche, New York could be the saddest movie I have seen, for anyone who is into that. It's good.

12. I want to see the human centipede movie,heard that this movie is very horror when i have time then i will see this movie.

13. I'm watching that right now. I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

14. That we have in common. My other favourite with him was Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

15. Somehow I knew you were going to say that movie. I didn't really think it was that sad. It was a good movie though.

16. the road is a great movie, i too enjoy apocalypse movies, but .. it was just
    dreary like the worst kind of apocalypse(aka no available food source, cannibals, earth somehow almost destroyed).

17. Movies like The Road, 2012, Book of Ely, Legends, even the Terminator 4 movie are great end of time, apocalyptic type movies. 28 Weeks After and 28 Days After are also good. The Road is a damn good movie, just hope mankind has more humanity than what was relayed in this movie if things turn to shit.

18. :spoiler warning:

When the main character took the clothes of the man that stole the cart and he was begging I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. A movie has never made me feel so bad in my life.

19. I have to give it another chance... I didnt love it when I watched it, but I was kinda not focused.

Im gonna watch it tonight I think.

20. Yeah, but given the situation, it was maybe a bit more realistic than a lot of end of the world movies. Just a normal dude, normal kid, trying to survive.

Unlike many EOtW movies where there is a super-hero practically.

I thought honestly, the movie wasn't that well done the first time I watched it, but the more I thought about it, given a hugely low budget....they really captured the essence.

Vigo Mortenson or however you spell it, did a pretty good job of acting, but the kid was a little fake feeling. Either way, when they took their baths, I was like "wtf...did they really starve them before this film?"

It brought up some interesting thoughts. Generally those of us who like end of the world movies, and you have to admit, like to wonder "What would I do in that situation instead?"

So when it has them surviving on grasshoppers, it's like...hmmm.....what if I had to do that?

The Cannibals, pretty realistic. Societies all through history have resorted to cannibalism when out of food. Makes you wonder, what would it take for me to eat another human, if anything? Or would I be a grasshopper eater?

In the world of this movie, there's like NO man made resources left. Can't even find bullets and stuff really. So it kinda defeats the standard EOtW mentality, where you walk around with a chainsaw, a crossbow, a machine gun, and grenades.

Etc, etc. It takes a different approach to it, one of just "Barely surviving" with no super heroes anywhere to be found.

Didn't think it was that sad, but thought provoking, yes.