just realized...this is not the science section...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheJourney, May 3, 2011.

1. I think "quantum" just means, "represented/representable in a formal language, particularly, a numeric one.

2. any scientific proof science is god
    this is god
    [​IMG]

God is the English name given to a singular being in theistic and deistic religions (and other belief systems) who is either the sole deity in monotheism, or a single deity in polytheism.
    God is most often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of the universe

if that's not what you mean, then don't say god

3. So panTHEISTS don't believe in God, then? So theism doesn't mean belief in God, then? Wow we're making a lot of progress here today! God is bestowing much knowledge upon us!

4. "The death of all humans on your world today
    Specicide--a new word to say"-gwar
    ;):smoke:

5. don't lump us together bro :cool:

6. What is Quantum Physics

7. easy on the psychs? maybe? i have no idea what you're talking about, just don't talk to your family that way or they'll put you in a mental institution, no offense i just have no idea what your talking about
    or perhaps this is some kind of new ager language, if it is, never mind what i posted up there, translate to normal people talk please
    seriously, i'm confused to shit

8. Ya I'm probably just crazy. Go back to your sane world, and watch all the crazy people and call them stupid

9. i'm not calling you crazy, i'm just not on the same frequency as you
    could you come down here for a second and tell me what's going on?

10. It is difficult for me to explain what is going on if you think that I could possibly say anything which truly disagrees with you.

The world is a reflection of you. All of your thoughts and beliefs are manifesting in the world. The only thing you really know is that YOU ARE. As you get more in touch with you, you will see the truth of that statement. The world IS. You ARE.

I AM

11. I just did a vape-bag, and a bowl of mr nice guy, and for the FIRST time, I not only understood Thejourney, but also agreed. My take on all this is becoming, I know science is probably right about most everything, but I also know that meditation works for some reason. Meditating has recently brought me out of a deep state of despair/depression. I don't know about all the mumbo-jumbo associated with meditating, chakras etc, but once you just "be" for a while, you become aware that you are not any of the shit going on in your head, but rather you are watching it. So, I know what a lot of what these guys say annoys us hyper-rational folk, but ima try to be a little more accepting here on the city, I mean, why not?

12. never know what you mite learn....

shit....there is usually more if not as much to be learned from those whos ideas are unlike your own....

just because we disagree .....
    doesnt mean one of us has to be wrong....

13. Philosophers also subscribe to empiricism.

14. I'll probably be repeating myself when I say this, but if you don't want science in the S&P section then I recommend you get the Spirituality half of the population to stop abusing it.

Philosophy has no problem with science as it is, and in a way (as a linked video suggests) Philosophy picks up where Science can't go. Spirituality has a serious problem with science: either it is inconvenient and must be debunked and replaced with superstition (baby steps backward toward barbarism), or it should be commandeered to sell new age spirituality. Both of these approaches to science are going to spark major discussions about science, and contribute more than rational discussions about science ever will.

Here are some links to illustrate my point:

Here is a theory in science openly attacked by a theist:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/spiritua...ed-world-really-only-6-000-years-old-wtf.html

67 pages as of today, on the second page. This one may finally be over. As you can see, from the start it was a discussion about science and I'm convinced there can be two major explanations explaining why it has come to a rest: 1. rational people have realized there is no reasoning with crazy. 2. defenders got tired of being schooled.

Here is science used to justify a scam:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/794360-quantum-jumping-burt-goldman.html

If you are inspired to find Mr. Goldman by this thread, you'll find out that he quotes scientists and uses ideas from science to convince you to give him money while telling you you can GET RICH QUICK. But, god damn it, if you talk about science you're in the wrong section!

7 pages, on the front page, and already using this thread as inspiration for telling off the "crazies" who can't "open their minds" to the ninety-seven dollar con. As far as I can see this one goes on because the quackery is attacked and defended over and over, not always about the science of it but that's certainly an element (as is a certain poster's post++).

And finally a bit of self promotion:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/808986-morality-science.html

Here is a discussion (partially) about how to deal with people like the first two examples, combining philosophy with science in an almost totally philosophical discussion that involves science.

I posted this early yesterday. It has not generated over a page of discussion.

1 page, on the second page. It generated more "thanks" and "cool" type posts than any challenges or arguments, and my guess is that's because it essentially already tells us how to deal with those type of people. If they were to jump in and start shitting on science for no reason and with no superior alternative, we would do best to simply ignore them...

"All we can do is appeal to scientific values. If a person doesn't share those values, the conversation is over. We must appeal to the value of understanding the world. ...

If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you invoke to prove that they should value logic?"

If we really want to talk less of science, we should ask the Spiritual posters to stop talking about it. It also wouldn't hurt us to ignore the crazies, even though I understand that's hard to do since the crazy can be so aggravating. When they finally deliver on their promise of splitting this section, this pretend problem will go away pretty much overnight.

15. yes, spiritual people! Stop blaspheming the great truth of science!