just quit my job

Discussion in 'General' started by phire420, Jun 28, 2009.

1. So I was hired earlier this week at a company that sells Kirby vacuums (pretty much the most expensive vacuums, around $2500 retail). While the job description didn't sound too thrilling, the company paid a starting salary of $1600 a month (not hourly, but you are required to work 35-50 hours a week). While that doesn't sound like the craziest deal ever, the commission for a sale is high ($50-$400 per sale, depending on whether the customer buys it or finances). So after going through 3 mind numbing days of training and orientation (8+ hours a day), I was off to my first sale. The company sets up appointments with the clients and then books you on one, and drives you over to their home to demo the vacuum. I went off to my first appointment, and I just didn't feel like myself. I didn't feel good about trying to sell something like this to people that obviously weren't interested. I decided to quit my job because one, I am a college student, and once the school year comes around I will be too busy to do anything but attend classes and sell Kirbys. Second, I am living with my parents, who graciously do not require me to pay rent. I will now be looking for a simple, part time job that only requires 15-25 hours out of me.

So I would just like to know what some of you think of my decision. I am sure some of you older blades have had to experience deciding whether or not to be making good money, or going to school.

2. IMO school is more important. You don't want a full time job in college.

3. I'm working three jobs right now, about 50 hours every week. It's murder, but I need the money badly.

But if I was in a position where I didn't feel right doing my job, I'd quit as well.

4. Thanks for the replies guys, this exactly what I want to hear right now. My dad is proud of me for putting school above money, but my mom is a little more financially minded and isn't exactly happy I have up this opportunity.

5. In the long run you'll be glad you focused on school, and working part-time while going to school is very practical and responsible, good luck!

6. i would of at least stayed for 6 months made some bank i never ever leave a job i get hired for anything less then that time. 6 months to a year is how long i stay at jobs i hate does not matter how much it blows or how much the people suck their i put up with it untill i have a new job to move to wether it be a part time one for school or whatever but that is just me i guess. Plus man that could of looked good on ur resume something to add on to your work history you know, selling expensive high end vacuum cleaners even if it has nothing to do with what u want to do it still looks good, plus school will always be around next semester. Just another opinion to add.

7. safeway

or vons

or whatever u got

easy job, ok pay

8. Already, tried all the Vons in my city (seriously, 20 hour app for EACH location). No ones hiring but it couldn't hurt to stop by in person, or apply again. I am going to try Barnes and Nobels and Macy's and all the other local department stores. I figure I wear some nice slacks, dress shoes and a suit/tie, make some good small talk, I'll land a job at one of these places. I guess I do well on interviews, that was the only thing that got me this job I'm quitting. No sales experience and only 1 reference, haha. Money is definately good though, I will be hurting for a while. I could've definately used $1600-$2000 a month, that could've gone towards saving for school, pimpin out my '02 Ram 1500, and a whole bunch of MMJ. When it comes down to it, I just decided between everything I like that is tangible, and 45 hours a week of my life and a better education.

9. lol u could have at least waited for school to start to quit

then u'd have some cash, bro

10. That would have been smart, but I know myself well. I know I would've been really successful at the job and probably make too much money to even consider quitting. I am just one of those people that can't handle having that much money waved in my face, that situation would've probably created problems for me (I don't think I would've been to enthused to go to school when I have everything I could possibly want, with money still left over.

11. My dad is the manager of a trucking company, Conway. He does business with a dude who runs a Kirby dealership. My dad said it is probably one of the worst jobs you can imagine.

My good friend works there and he likes it because it pays good but sitting in a van with a bunch of 40 year old meth heads is no my kinda job :eek:

12. A job as a salesman will always suck, like you said you're trying to sell something to someone that they don't even want. If you're just looking for some extra cash get an easy job, you'll only be there for the summer anyway.

13. Sounds like hell to me, selling vacuums, there's gotta be another job out there man, i'd never do that

14. Kirby Vacuums is a known scam, you did the right thing by quitting.

15. Yeah I figured they would just have me working a bunch of overtime. It's kind of suspicious that a company would have an entry salary of $1600 a month without a requirement of HSD or GED.

16. i was gonna suggest that leaving your job in this economy was a terrible idea...but it was kirby. soooooo you know what youre doing maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

17. wow thats really weird, i was thinking about getting a job at kirby vaccuums. they have some part time telemarkter job opening posted on craigs list.

im home for the summer and it hasnt been easy finding a job. if i get called in for an interview sometime soon, im just gonna say im home for a while and not going back to school.

its a dirty play, but i dont care at this point.

18. dude i went through the same thing but not as far. i was hired by a company to sell some expensive ass knives called cutco. well after the second day of training i was thinking the job was gunna suck cause i am not the sales man type, i hate customer service, and i like a set schedual. anyways on my way to the third training day i just said fuck it, turned the car around, and got crunked as hell with a buddy of mine. wisest decision i ever made. lol

19. this is the only Kirby I mess with

[​IMG]

20. Is that the company that makes you buy the knives yourself? There was a company called Vector that said they sold knives, I set up an interview, then got some advice from a friend that went through the same deal. I took his advice and blew it off.