Just 'planted' my very first seed, colour alteration normal?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BickoftheSill, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Hello there,

I've just placed my first seed in a cosy damp paper towel in my cupboard, in fact its the first seed I've planted since I grew cress in primary school LOL so this might sound slightly silly for anyone who's germinated countless seeds, but I tried searching for topics on this but unfortunately my giffgaff phone browser blocks almost anything weed related, lucky I got onto this forum. I only planted this seed on the off chance as I found it in a bag of quality herb. So far, its in 2 sheets of a damp paper towel on a plate in my cupboard and as its only 15c here I've put the plate on top of a mug of warm water, very advanced set up I've got here lol. Its been between 24 and 48 hours now, and I've checked the seed just to see if any things happening and its turned slightly green on one end, before this it was dark brown. Does this mean it will grow or is it as pathetic as it sounds haha, I'm guessing a colour alteration means growth but I really don't know, it could mean I've not got the temperature right and I'm killing the seed for all I know. Also I realise it may just end up being a male seed but if this works then I know what to do next time.

Too long didn't read? My seed was dark brown, now its lighter green on one side. Good or bad? And will my v basic set up work to germinate?

Also hello everyone I'm new here obviously lol cheers

2. 15c is a little cool, I would assume the warmer the better. I am sure about the seed turning green as I have never had that happen! The seeds I have germinated have always remain the same color and when the taproot comes out it is normally white.

I use the paper towel method and it has always worked great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I think my efforts may be in vain I mean the chances of a random seed picked out of a bag of herb growing right is pretty slim I'm sure but you never know I'd be stoked if it did work lol how long does it usually take on avrg before you get a root starting to pop out?

4. Usually the root pops out between a couple of days to a week. 15 degrees is very cool, should be more like 25. Do you have any equipment ready if the seed germinates?

5. I've put the plate on a mug of warm/hotish water so 15 is the room temp but the plate should be warmer, and other than a pot, some decent soil and a fluorescent strip light I do not have any gear. Feel free to laugh at me but it is just the off chance I tried this lol I'll be looking out for a root over the next few days then

6. Not laughing, but you're seriously underprepared. There's a lot more to this than popping a seed in the soil and waiting to get some buds. I don't know what kind of strip light you have, but I doubt it will get you past seedling stage. You need a proper light, timer, nutrients or good organic soil with amendments, fans, etc. Where are you going to grow the plant? How are you going to take care of the smell if you manage to get it all the way to flower?
    These are all things you should think about, preferably before you pop a seed. Now you're in a bit of a hurry.

7. You are right to a certain extent the fans and the proper equipment I will need to go out and buy soon but I wouldn't have even bothered planting it if I were completely financially unable, plus I have my own place now so I have maybe a bit more freedom than most, let's face it though what's the point of me buying this whole set up if this seed doesn't even root lol

8. Well you can always get new seeds

9. OK well if this seed fails I'll get a proper set up sorted before I plant next time, although the bud I got this seed out of was dank so I was hoping it would grow lol thanks for the replies anyway people

10. 24-48 hours. I purchase my seeds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum