Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just plain stupid

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by KillaWillaBilla, Jul 8, 2011.

1. so i notice that radio has advertisements because it is free and they get a portion of sales from those ads. so then please tell me why in the fuck i pay for TV and get commercials. lol just had to rant so what other stupid not make any sense things do you guys know of lol besides that pot is illegal while alcohol isn't. about to be :bongin: btw!!

2. Basic cable TV networks are generally transmitted without any scrambling or other special methods and thus anyone connected to the cable TV system can receive them. Basic cable networks receive at least some funding through fees paid by the cable TV systems for the right to include the network in its channel lineup. Most basic cable TV networks also include advertising to supplement the fees, due to their programming cost being greater than the fees paid by cable TV systems

Cable TV systems impose a monthly fee depending on the number and perceived quality of the channels offered. Cable TV subscribers are offered various packages of channels one can subscribe to. The cost of each package depends on the type of channels offered (basic vs. premium) and the quantity. These fees cover the fees paid to individual networks for the right to carry their network as well as the cost of operating and maintaining the cable TV system so that their signals can reach subscribers homes. Additional fees and taxes are often tacked on by local, state, and federal governments. The fee the cable TV system must pay to a cable TV network will vary depending on whether it is a basic or premium channel and the perceived popularity of that channel. Because cable TV systems are not required to carry any basic cable channels, they often try and negotiate the fee they will pay for carrying a channel. Thus more popular networks have been able to command much higher fees than less popular networks. The fees paid to basic cable networks has a benefit in that advertisement breaks on basic cable are either absent or their number and duration are far lower than on broadcast TV, where ads make up around 25% of programming in the U.S. :D

P.s. I used google.

3. Maybe it takes more ppl and money to do tv commercials. Idk.

4. lol im just saying it is a bunch of bull shit that i PAY for these commercials that i hate so much. it would be like a gas pump giving 5 gallons of gas then some air then 5 gallons then air then 5 gallons then air it would be a waste of our money just like a commercial im paying for only gas not air every 5 gallons, im paying for my show not a shamwoo commercial every 5 minutes.

5. If there weren't any commercials, I'd never have an excuse to get up. lol

6. Well i believe that your tv company like direct tv does not produce every single channel on the tv. These channels chose what they air. You simply pay to have the channels delivered to you.

7. #7 Jazzyj, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Correct.

The cable companies pay for the rights to air certain tv shows/networks. To offset the cost of paying for tv shows and actually turn a profit, they charge you for service, and they sell some of their airtime to local and national companies for advertisement.

The actual timing of commercials is the the result of psychological studies. It's usually a ratio of 6 minutes of show to 2-3 minutes of commercial. Apparently 6 minutes is just long enough to hold the average human attention span before showing more ads.