Just one or get multiple

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Stealthsmokerman, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Ok would it be better to get one big bulb that is say 125 watts or just get like 4 or 5 42 watters that would be a lot cheaper plus more lumens and no use of a mogul base

Sent from my N9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Dont question the bylbs buy question the watts...always get as many total watts as you can

3. Ok but that still doesn't answer my question one huge bulb for like 50 or get like 4-5 for 30 and have more watts but less space

4. #4 pok3_smot, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    Im currently vegging 2 plants under a feliz 250 watt 6500k cfl thats in a rewired econowing reflector and the results are pretty awesome, growth is better than my 400 watt mh i was using but the footprint is much more limited, really only space for 2 plants once you get em in 3-5 gallon pots.

Still i really like the difference i see form the 6500k vs the mh 4100k, even 150 watts less the internodal spacing is tighter and the plants are very bushy. Also it makes little heat, it can be 4-6 inches form the tops and my laser temp gun only reads 71-72f. I could go closer probably but it would reduce the footprint more.

I haven't used smaller wattage bulbs but if you have a extra reflector lying around with a mogul socket id get a big cfl, feliz makes 125 250 and 300 watts in 6500 and 2700k. Cut an extension cord and rewire the reflector (so easy its unbelievable) since the cfl doesn't need a separate ballast and it'll plug right in the wall.

I think theyre like 90$ online i got my 6500k for 70 from my hydro shop, though i flower under a 600 watt hps.

5. Well my space is tiny I gutted a old dresser and made a self contained flower veg box with 2 chambers so my plants are going to be small maybe a foot tall when I start to flower them plus I am on a budget right now but when summer gets here that's when I will get wardrobes and convert them over to grow boxes

6. 24-26w bulbs have the best lumen per watt ratio. The bigger the cfl bulb, the less efficient it is.

Consider that growth rates and yield will begin to drop off after 6-9 months of constant usage (combined with the inefficiency of a larger bulb) and that your bulbs will eventually need to be replaced. 4-pack of 26w bulbs at home depot is $12, so you're getting 100w for $12. How much is a 150w cfl? More expensive and less efficient.