just messed up my first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chongwithabong, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Also so a buddy of mine bought a bag with some seeds in it the other day and i just asked if i could have them. I successfully germinated the seed and planted it in some potting soil mix, I know this is not the best soil but it looked like it would work from what i read online. The seed sprouted and was about 6 or 7 inches tall but i noticed some yellow dots and spots on the leaves so i thought the plant would need some fertilizer. I added some merical grow plant food because it was low in nitrogen and had some other stuff i thought the plant would need. Only problem is I added way to much and i think it is killing/killed my plant. I did this only a couple of hours ago and my plant has gone from standing straight up to laying in the dirt. Is there anything I can do that might make it survive? Thanks

2. If you think you added to much, flush the soil with water. And place the pot on a towel and shove part of the towel in the holes in the bottom of the pot to wick out the water from the soil that way it doesnt just sit there and get root rot. Flush the pot with 4 to 5 times the water to pot size. So if the pot is 1gal flush with 4 or 5 gals of water. I hope this helps

3. alright thank you verry much. I just did that, I have read the over watering is a problem that kills most plants. Would this be to much water for the plant to handle?

4. I agree with NVS -- a flush was necessary. Miracle Grow is not your friend.

Go buy good nutrients for your plant -- and more than likely whatever soil you used, had enough nutrients in it to provide for your plant for 2-3 weeks... You said 6-7" tall, but I'm not sure how old the plant is.

Also - pH problems can cause nutrient lockout, have you been testing the pH of the water you water with?

Over watering is a problem, and can kill plants - but over watering is generally something that takes places over a period of days, or weeks.

Flushing is designed to take all of the excess nutrients away from the soil. You will need to allow your plant's soil several days to dry out so that your plant can get some much needed aeration, after such a heavy watering.