Just lost my dad.........

Discussion in 'General' started by tarheels, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Im only 18 and just lost my dad to suicide. Ive never dealt with anything like this before. I loved my dad SO much and he was such a great influence on everybody he was around. Just noboday saw it coming. If anybody has experienced this please help me out and give me advice it would be greatly apreciated.

Peace and love

2. Sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself. How could you have known your dad needed help if he showed no signs? You're not alone in this.

3. i am truly sorry for your loss, RIP

4. my deepest condolences to you and your family, R.I.P

5. Que ton père repose en paix.
    Bonne chance avec la suite.

:love:

6. I'm so sorry for your loss....I really don't know what else to say besides that but feel free to PM me if you want to talk or vent.

7. So sorry to hear that you lost your father like that. I can't imagine what you're going through just based on the circumstances.

I lost my dad last year, I had just turned 19 and he died of lung cancer. Its really rough for a little while, but after some time you may be able to let some hard feelings go. I had some time to get over the impending mourning though..he had been sick for around a year.

Nonetheless, you've gotta really be there for your mom if shes in your life. This could be really rough on her more than anyone.

8. may he rest in peace. and may you live in peace.

9. we cant help you man, this is something personal between you and your family. I would suggest somekind of family therapy.

Keep ya head up.

10. this next joint goes to u...u and ur family didn't deserve that and ur dad should've realized the repercussions of his actions..

11. Hey there,

Very sorry to hear this, honestly :( I still have both parents and never had to deal with any family deaths, not even grandparents, and it is one of the things that scare me the most deep down inside. I hope I do not have to deal with it anytime soon (knock on wood) but I know it will come someday. However, one thing I realize is that it happens to EVERYONE. It is inevitable and it is a part of life. You should always treasure the good memories together and celebrate his life instead of mourning too much. But of course you should mourn and be sad, it is helpful and part of the healing process, but just keep in mind you shouldn't take TOO much time on it. You should instead celebrate his life and keep him alive with memories. I hope all is well and wish you all the best. He is in my prayers.

-TcB

12. The only advice that I can give you is; try to become at peace with the fact that he killed himself.

It wasn't your fault. Don't make up signs that you should have seen but didn't. Don't second-guess every conversation you ever had. Don't try to look for warnings when there may not have been any.

The people in this thread so far knocking him for what he did..well. I don't agree. Suicide is not a choice made lightly. Obviously he was in pain of some sort, be it mental, emotional, or physical. For most people who commit suicide, the pain has been there for a long time and they've lost hope of it going away.

In other words, *in my opinion,* to call him selfish for committing suicide is just YOU being selfish. Given the choice, would you rather he feel pain just so you can have him around, or would you rather his pain end?

To think that all suicidal people could have been cured if they'd just been given help is very naive, and again, selfish in my opinion.

The hardest thing about your situation is going to be accepting the way that he died. It was sudden, and that makes it even harder. But if you can accept how he died, you'll have a much easier time mourning him "properly" and moving on with your life.

Hugs to you, friend.

13. im really sorry..i can understand how you feel,i lost my dad too..well its been ages cause i was just 6 y.o.
    but i know how it is missing someone cause i didnt grow up with a dad and had to realize many things from very young age..
    also lost my grandma a few months ago but it felt like loosing a parent cause actually she raised me cause my mum had to work all the time..

im really sorry for your loss,never lost anyone to suicide but a loss is always tragic no matter how

grieve as much as you need,realize what happened, try to accept it even if you cant understand why
    cause you are still young and you have a life to live.and im sure thats what your dad would want you to do..even thou he failed to understand the concequences of his action to his family
    try not to let this hunt you,dont knock your self down thinking why
    remember your dad like he was before this happened .try to move on with your life.. unfortunately thats what we are supposed to do..move on no matter what happens.its not happening in 2 months but it will,the great pain will go away at some point

and since you are a smoker( i talk from personnal experience)
    when we are dealing with great pain, getting high(one way or another) is the easy way to forget and ease the pain but its not the solution
    cause you might get into deep waters before u realise it..and if you get too deep its not that easy going back..

im not sayin getting high is gonna destroy you .im sure its gonna help alot in many occasions..
    but be careful cause it might seem the way to forget but its the easy solution .dealing with a problem or pain only through getting high is not a real solution.dont know how much u smoke or what else u do but i just wanted to say so since ive been there...
    just sayin..

i really wish you and your family the best,moving on with your lives wont be that easy im sure
    stay strong,this is how youll prove to yourself how strong you really are and how much you love yourself and your family.falling apart will do no good to noone.so be there for each other.this is why families are,to stick together at hard times.

i wish you all the best,my true condolences

14. Im sorry to hear that.

Stay strong and look into seeing a counselor or something, theres no shame in seeing one.

15. My Dad committed suicide nine months ago. You just have to keep your head up and realize he is in a better place. All you can do is learn from the experience and move on. If you need anything, feel free to PM me.

16. My dad had an aneurysm in the front yard while backing out to go to my sister's house on christmas eve for lunch. He took an ambulance to one hospital, then a helecopter to another hospital, and they cut off the side of his skull and I sat there and watched him die until the 26th when his brain stem herniated from the pressure. He was only 52 years old and otherwise healthy.

My suggestion to you would be to stay very busy, focus on your goals, and don't stop for too long to think about things.

Those thoughts will come to you on their own, so avoid em if you have to in order to stay sane, it'll all get worked out in your head eventually.

Like everyone else is saying, very sorry for your loss. I know it might not seem like it right now, but life most certainly does go on.

Best of luck.

17. Man I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    Hope you deal with everything alright, just remember there's always people here at GC to talk.

18. I am truly sorry for you my friend. I recently went through something similar with my dad last summer. I sent you a PM so we can talk if you would like.

19. Lost my dad when i was 14, April 12th. Never gonna forget the date.

Bombshell - "The same can be said about any great man, hes there every time that you need him except when you need him most"

Ill let you figure that one out

20. Its never cool to hear about someone losing theyre parent(s) especially to a thing like suicide... take it from me, i lost my dad to a cocaine od in '93 and my mom was strung out on heroin til about '05... and im only 24... TIME HEALS ALL WOUNDS... thats the truest statement ever... like everyone else said... just keep ya head up... theres alot of ppl who go thru the same thing your goin thru... theyre the ones who can help you understand... dont let an event like this ruin the rest of your life... use it to push yourself. i guarantee in 5 years you'll get it..