Just landed an amazing job opourtunity!

Discussion in 'General' started by UNAB0MB3R, Feb 9, 2010.

1. I just got accepted into a flair bartending tryout/training at the Fantasy Land hotel in West Edmonton Mall. If I am one of the 8 out of 30 applicants choosen I will be making huge money. and ill be working at a classy ass place with other flair bartenders! Time to buckle down and come up with some routines :devious:

In the mean time, here are some flair videos for you guys.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-_AKP5qLs]YouTube - Perfect bartender at the Las Vegas Strip[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbH6r7-YKzw]YouTube - Christian Delpech flair at Barskolan Mallorca[/ame]

2. Take my advice, I used to work in a bar...Don't go to a school, they rip you off for the most part. unless it has absolutely amazing reviews...don't do it.

Even if you went to a school, they would still take you on as a barback and piss you around for a while until they decided to start letting you make drinks and stuff. I got fucked big time when I worked at a bar, worst experience ever.

3. Yeah, bartending schools range from crappy to the plain unnecessary. Most of the time you become a bartender just by working at the bar in a different position, and eventually rise up to become a bartender. A school may be a good way to learn about some mixed drink basics, but in the long run you may not even want to put it on an application.

As far as flair tending goes, you REALLY need to be talented to make it in a large nightclub/competitions. Although the class may spark an interest of yours, it WILL NOT teach you everything you need to know by any means.

(I have no idea how experienced/talented you already are. If you are already good, sorry if I came off as condescending)

4. very nice man! werent you bartending at a rave a bit back?? howd that go?

thats some pretty slick shit, but if that was my drink, or at least my first/2nd, id want her to hurry up a bit and get me my damn booze :p.

ive tried some stuff, just messing with empty bottles but nothing that crazy.

ya should try juggling three or however many bottles while youre mixing and pouring however much of each

get some vids of your skills up here man. and dudes, its a hotel not a school, so job not learning...

5. I actually went to a school for it and had an amazing time. thats where i learned all i know. plus they hooked me up with 2 legit jobs. one at a place where i get to see all the big concerts and shows for free, and the other one at a huge club (i dont know the bar scene in the states, but 1200 capacity is pretty big here) both of which are actuall bartending jobs, not backbar or porter.

plus they taught me flair, and let me know about this place. sucks you had such a shitty experience bartending though. im really loving it. :D

6. the rave is this weekend, valentines day to be exact. still stoked for it haha

also, this shit isnt a class. this is to see who has got the skills and who hasnt, and to train with each other.

as far as it taking a while goes for a drink ill toss in a trick or two. i have had flair bartenders take forever making my drinks and that shit is straight annoying.

7. I didn't even notice you weren't in the states lol. Maybe it's better in other countries, but if anyone in the U.S. reading this thread is considering a bartending school: DON'T waste your cash.

Personally after my bar experience I wouldn't ever consider working in a bar again. Management for bars can be downright assholes for no reason. Shit, the patrons were more friendly than the boss and co-workers. that's pretty damn sad.

It's different in Austin as opposed to temple though. Bar owners can be pretty fuckin' cool :p.

8. i bartend in the states. no way im spending money on a school for it, gotta spend money on living and moving. im hoping i can snag a job at a mountain resort bar next winter

9. here, wait 5 minutes for your drink..

10. dam an exciting looking job+ u say good money, good work landing it. now collect many tips!

11. haha like a said, i only throw in a few tricks per drink. and im sure the crowd coming to this bar will be just as pleased with a show to go along with thier drinks. stoked, first session starts in a few hours. gotta get off gc so i can go practice :D

12. He isnt in the states?

EDIT: oh, canada. didnt catch that either.

13. Update:

I MADE THE FUCKING TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fuck yeah! smiles from ear to fucking ear. And it only gets better :D not only will i be making 70k a year, but i will be traveling accross western canada to open up bars and do flair shows. Now i just need to ace this interview (which im sure will be no problem, as im already part of the team :D)

woooooooooooooo!!!!!! now to go practice, and practice, and practice some more. ill throw up a video of a routine or two probably sometime next week when they are flawless. i think its time to celebrate tonight though.

14. Congrats, man. 70k a year for something you enjoy is pretty damn awesome.

15. Congrats man. Will take a drink for ya! (no smoking right now....).

16. you have no idea. well you might, but i kinda just want to jump up and down and scream like a little girl. or run around my streets naked. fuck. i dont know what to do with myself.

its a hard thing to explain being this happy. its like an orgasm, but its going to be like this for hours. im actually shaking im so happy haha. i feel like i won the lottery :D

i wanna walk down the streets and tell everyone haha. fuck. im gonna go drink my face off. thats what im gonna do.

17. jeezz!! 70k a year?? for bartending. man you are really lucky

18. i know. like i said, i feel like i won the lottery.

so my concience got the better of me. tonight is not the night for drinking my face off. i still have practice tomorrow. time to do more flair, i can party next week. :(:D

someone get obnoxiously drunk for me tonight?

19. to tide you over till next week, this is some of what we did today :D

[​IMG]

[ame=http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/brianlauchlan/?action=view&current=moto_0081.flv][​IMG][/ame]

sorry for the quality

20. I took a college bar tending course and the guy talked about flair.

It's kinda not practical sometimes, but congratulations dude... good luck, sounds like you have a good chance.