Just installed Windows 7!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Holocron, Apr 29, 2010.

1. After I grew tired of my computer stuttering when playing a 10gb Avatar Bluray rip, I went and got Windows 7 and obliterated every bit of XP on my hard drive.

Ahhh, this feels nice. Too bad I lost Avatar.

2. Im not sure that going from XP to 7 is going to fix playback problems but its a much better OS anyway :wave:

3. ^^ A fresh install of any OS always makes things come back to life. I don't see why you would upgrade from XP to 7. Win 7 takes a hell of a lot more processing power, unless you got a dual core with 2gigs ram running xp I wouldn't advice the upgrade.

4. At first, I thought the stutters were caused by bad/damaged codecs, but I eliminated that theory with VLC player. The only other thing I could think of was my video drivers, but I couldn't be effed to toy with it. You are right, it is a much greater OS.

@pmb:
    I'm covered as far as resources goes. I've got a Core 2 Duo E6420 (I almost don't want to upgrade it, I'd overclock it just because it says 420 lol), 2GB DDR2 800, and a GTX 260. Win 7 runs nice and smooth, I'll be testing BC2 tonight to see if game performance is affected at all.

5. :wave: Thats groovy, Im still only running a core2duo untouched at 3gig and 2gig of RAM and mine plays everything just as smooth as it did on XP pro. Those big ripped blu-ray files can be hassle, I don't really bother with them.

Im getting a quad core and another 2gig of RAM next month, I hope it makes me feel like its worth the money :wave:

6. I always have a couple 1080p rips at a time. Can't really get too many because they're so freakishly huge. Mostly it's just a try-and-buy thing. I couldn't wait 'til payday to get Avatar, lol.

There's nothing like the feeling of upgrading your hardware. Sounds like you will almost double your performance, I'd say that's worth the cash. I'm thinking about getting one of those budget 6 cores from AMD, but I'd have to buy another motherboard too. So I'll probably stick with Intel for now. An upgrade to 4 gigs for sure though, I dunno why I haven't already to be honest.

7. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a single-core 1.6GHz laptop with only 2gb RAM and it runs perfectly. Of course it gets a tad slow sometimes but honestly its not enough to really annoy me, and I get very easily annoyed by any slowing down on my computers.

8. i had the same stuttering problems from avatar. Im pretty sure it has to do with resources and not OS. Considering the fact that the smallest avatar rip is 8gb. I was attempting to play a 16gb 720p rip...i thought about it. Almost every movie out is WAYYYY smaller than that. Im not exactly sure what a computer does with a movie once it loads it but where does it store the huge file while its playing it. It doesnt play it directly off your hard drive Im pretty sure of that. Im guessing it takes a portion, sends that to your ram or virtual memory and since that portion is going to be refilled constantly cause the movie is so damn long then the hardware begins to suffer.

9. XP is better then 7. So if you couldnt play it on XP then what makes you think you can play it on 7.

XP have little to no errors.
    7 has little to no errors.

XP is a much smaller OS. Can burn onto a CD Rom
    7 is a HUGE OS. Needs a DVD Disc to be burnt onto.

10. :wave: I don't need to buy a new board so I might as well upgrade :) If using a 32bit version of Windows then we wont be able to use the full 4GB of RAM but it will still do the system some good.

XP is out of date and not built on the nt system :wave:

11. If its so out dated, then why are the majority of business' still using XP. Vista was too error filled to be trusted for a business. I have 7, and have since before it came out. I preferred XP over Vista. XP had no errors and the fact that its older is more reliable in the end. Just because sometime is "Out-dated" doesnt make it bad nor unusable.

12. Don't worry 7 will be as good as XP soon. Just let them fix the bugs like usual.

13. u should run 2GB of RAM actually more if running 7 weith bluray if u dont want play back problems if i were u i woulda stayed with xp unless ur running multi cores on the cpu blueray takes up tons of ram for playback and windows 7 will do the samething but should use up more ram due to the gfx of 7 vs xp all this can be fixed with msconfig and a reboot after tweaking your startup all u need is drivers and Anti virus

14. Whats going on with this thread :confused: he is running 2GB of RAM and has already upgraded.

XP can fook off, oh wait it did :p

15. #15 Encryption, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
    Windows xp pro SP3 will run circle around windows 7 when it comes to who uses less resources and CPU ...im only a software engineer and been doin I.T for over 7yrs with a 4 yr degree in both... did i mention im A++ cert ... i can point out alot of flaws in both OS's but the stable OS is XP pro SP3 when it comes to keeping used resources and cpu usage at a minimum 7 is nice 10x better then any vista but XP still holds the crown and 7 is full of exploits for remote access like IIS exploits and others i wont comment on im not trying to feed anyone any info to do harmi run 7 and xp on my home network but single core PC's always get XP pro or any machine whos running less then 4GB mem

16. i ruv windows 7 and it ruvs me

17. Hey people, can we please not turn this discussion into a debate over which OS is better? I agree with you, XP SP3 is more stable than Win7 at the moment. I, however, felt it was time for an upgrade and a change of scenery among other things. I didn't install Win7 because I thought it'd be more stable. FYI, Avatar runs flawlessly now. Exact same rip. I honestly couldn't tell you what the problem was, but it wasn't my systems resources.

18. yer all a bunch of boobs

ubuntu is where it's at

19. Unless you're an avid PC gamer or a student that needs to run Office and specific programming apps for classes. But 'tis a mighty OS apart from that, I'll give it that.

20. Ubuntu has OpenOffice.. which is um, practically the same thing, except with a better interface. The only thing it's missing is a PowerPoint equivalent.

And programming is a thousand times more fluid in a UNIX environment, because you can run your programs from the terminal within Ubuntu.. You don't have to connect to a UNIX server to do so. There are thousands of better code editors/IDEs for Linux than there are for Windows.

Yeah, Windows has gaming.. but I'm way over my gaming stage. The only thing I use Windows for nowadays is Adobe products and web design.

Linux is much more responsive and less bloated, thus making it better for almost everyone aside from gamers.